Space and the universe... [interests, sightings and events]

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
And, on the 65th anniversary of Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier.
When CNN had the shots of him in that field after his landing, with the choppers and vehicles heading towards him, I kept thinking of the ending scene of Se7en. :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
You guys have a Star Wars corner?!? Sweet! I gotta check that out! :D

The shot of the jump that gets me each time is just before he "walks off" the ladder. All my fears of open heights at one time. :eek:

JimJamBonds

Jedi Commander
May 22, 2005
www.myspace.com
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed by a guy who fell 20 miles or whatever it was. Yeah it took guts and hadn't been done but I just don't "get it."

In my neck of the woods there was a metor shower last night....that I didn't see.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Good to see I'm not the only person to think that way. He needs to do it without a spacesuit if he wants my respect.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I think he did it to prove, that if there's an emergency that involves a split-second decision to jump from a damaged craft that high up, as long as you have months and months of preparation and the right suit on at that exact moment, you will be fine. Still, Guiness has got to put his Loudest Sound Barrier-Breaking Fart in the record books. Was it brave? Maybe. Is it impressive? I think so. Would I have done it? I'll let Vader do it

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
We've spent close to a billion dollars to take pictures of a small rock. Pluto was only classified as a planet since 1930, and even that was based mainly on conjecture. Right now, there are nerds and pseudo-nerds who are excited over more photos from New Horizon, and if they were paying attention to scale markers on some of the annotated images, they'd notice that Pluto is SIGNIFICANTLY SMALLER ACROSS THAN THE USA. Pluto is two thirds the diameter of our moon. It's going to be a relatively boring fizzle of interest once people realize that it's just a round, pockmarked asteroid that's not particularly special.

Forgive the annoyed tone of this, I just am sick of normies and nerds alike getting all squee over something that isn't going to yield the rewards they're hoping for. We already have had the Voyager program doing big things for decades.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Hey, I want to apologize for bringing down the mood. I've grown really sick of news and people hyping this up and it's gotten under my skin. I don't mean to shake my fist at the kids playing on the lawn.

Anyway, the closest pass yet has revealed a higher-res image if anybody into that sort of thing:

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/display.cfm?News_ID=49503&linkId=15514645

New Horizons will be dark until about 5:40pm PST tonight as it enters an autonomous data-gathering mode.

(I still don't really get why people are so over-the-top joyous about this though.)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I'm tired of the Rancor Pit-type topics in the online, TV, and print news; so seeing something I haven't ever seen before but guessed at is wonderful. I have always taken more time to read news topics like this thread's title during my life. So this is fun, far-out fun!