Star Wars Anthology Series (the Standalone Movies)

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
The second Anthology will be about Han Solo's rise, as directed by Chris Miller and Phil Lord (of LEGO Movie and 21/22 Jump Street fame) and written by Lawrence Kasdan and his son Jon. Miller and Lord already had Han in the LEGO Movie, so I guess this makes sense. :p

Han is one of the only major characters who didn't appear in the prequels, though we've seen his Imperial-turned-rogue backstory in the old EU, which will presumably change. I wonder if they'll keep Lucas' scrapped ROTS version of the wild boy on Kashyyyk, though I doubt it.

I've worried that these origin story-type movies could suck majorly, and they very well might, but having Miller and Lord on this gives me a lot more hope. This is the movie (or at least the release window) for Josh Trank's project. I wonder how much the story will change from that.

Of note, this movie comes out about a year after Episode VIII, and 41 years to the day after ANH.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
They're geeks. And it seems like they love Star Wars. I approve.

I hope the Imperial Academy, freeing of the Wookiee slave Chewbacca, and as much as possible of Crispin's and Daley's work stays intact. Toss Thrackan first.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Honestly, I don't have faith in anybody for this, there's not one person I could see handling this right. Miller and Lord are fine for lightweight stuff, but they haven't blown me away with any substance so far in their careers. I liked Clone High, but it too was just light. When we are hailing this as a win, we've already lost and are aiming so low that the barrel is being scraped, they're not terrible but they've only made a few animated movies and a light action comedy, and Lawrence Kasdan hasn't put pen to paper in a decade aside from one movie that tanked.

I hope it works out mainly for the next generation of fans, but my first instinct is to swat whomever approved this on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and yell "NO!" in their face(s). You can't FORCE a Marvel cinematic universe affair onto Star Wars, it's a preexisting cinematic universe with its own pacing and rules.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Must... keep... cynical views of Disney over-saturation... in check... Failed. Star Wars succeeded because it had just the right amount of films and TV; not too many, not too few. The comics and books and video games helped with that. This, this smells of Star Trek-ism to me (not to bash ST, just that it got too stale, stretched too thin).

But, do I see that this thread was just attacked by an ISE monster? :eek: Uh, oh. :(

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Different kind of ISE, it merely caused a double post.

Anyway, Star Trek didn't really get stretched too thin, it held up in the '90s when there were multiple shows and movies and novels - it faded out when they lost vision and passion for the material, just went rote and churned out substandard content, until finally gutting the very soul of the material to create a mindless, aimless Star Wars clone out of its dead soul.

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
They're geeks. And it seems like they love Star Wars. I approve.

I hope the Imperial Academy, freeing of the Wookiee slave Chewbacca, and as much as possible of Crispin's and Daley's work stays intact.
That is what I am hoping for as well. I don't think I finished all of the Daley novels, but I remember the Crispin books were great.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
The Crispin stories should be made into the movies.

Jabba
Lando
Boba Fett

Bria Tharen - would be great if this is Felicity Jones' character.

Serious question:

If movies were based off Ann Crispin's (or Timothy Zahn's) characters and events - what happens in the process?

Does Lucasfilm (Disney) own everything - like Mara Jade)? Answer - yes, they should.

Zahn created Mara Jade - but as contract work for Lucasfilm. Does Zahn get compensated if a Mara Jade character is used? And his plot?

He should be credited. That's fair.

Do credits equal pay?

Would pay be that cost-prohibitive? Why not pay him to do Heir to the Empire - or doesn't Disney own it already, with their purchase (I'm sure they do).

"Children of the Jedi" was kind of a stupid story. Kind of. It's grown on me. But the movies don't need to acknowledge that.

They could NOT acknowledge that and still do Heir to the Empire, right?

That begs this question:

L - Luke and Leia

J - Jacen and Jaina

K - Kylo and Kira (yeah - I'd guess "Rey" is a fake name while she's hiding her identity as a Kira Solo.)

Why not let all this be misleading and not have them be Jacen and Jaina?

What is the cost involved if they are Jacen and Jaina?

Can you say that NJO and Chewie's death never happened, but make them Jacen and Jaina? I think you can after you answer the cost question.

However, Jacen Ren does not sound so cool as Kylo Ren.

And if his real name is Kylo Solo, then it could be derived from "kill-Solo," but still have him be a Knight of Ren. - Maybe short for REvaN? and the name was distorted through the years - hence he dresses like Darth Revan anyway.

And Hasbro is making a 6" Darth Revan figure - from a completely independent sculpt of Kylo Ren, btw - proven at Comic Con.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
From the events I've attended and statements made, the EU is not dead, but it's not "cannon," either. Meaning, they can choose to use established characters, events, or locales, but it's doubtful they will, especially if those now contradict new series' details.

Sadly, I think all the fleshing out of characters like the Solo twins, Zahn's creations, or the Han Solo trilogy's situations are as dead as Grand Moff Tarkin.*

* Spoiler Alert: Grand Moff Tarkin, with a set of droid legs, will appear in TFA.