Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day Review

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
General public opening day crowds seem very manageable so I’m going to visit once, maybe even twice this week.

A warning to anyone picking up the “wood series” figures from Toydarian Toymakers - take an extra cautious look at them before purchasing. Because they don’t have any packaging, there’s a good chance of damage. My Boba Fett’s jetpack is missing an exhaust port and my R2 has two cracks. I’m going to have to exchange both.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Yesterday in the early part of the day, the wait was 2 hours to get into the land, and the line was 65 mins; I forgot to check later but at 11pm there was no way to get into the land, while the ride wait was only 15 mins. Today at 10:45am it was no waiting to get into the land but a 75 minute wait for the ride. Now, an hour later, it's still no waiting to get in but the wait is 105 minutes! That's an insane wait given there are 28 pods through 4 entry points.

I'm considering going tomorrow, and maybe the weekend.

That stinks about your broken wooden toys! Hopefully they still have replacements.

Thanks to a friend getting us on his reservation, we went last Friday with my folks for the 8pm-12am slot. Eating took a long time, Docking bay 7 Cargo restaurant simply does not have enough seating, it was insane, we walked around for 20 minutes until I finally snagged us a counter seat. The Falcon was a good time, but we never really got enough time to enjoy the lobby. We finally got to try the right lobby this time once, that was interesting, not super different of course, but interesting. We did the ride 3 times, although my mom's legs couldn't handle the line a 3rd time so she sat it out. My folks liked the ride quite a bit, my step-dad really dug the gunner position so I didn't get do that one last visit. Said friend got us into the cantina, it was very loud and we got stuck at a standing table in the middle, that wasn't as good as standing at the bar, and my drink came out with a short pour, it had been sitting for a while, I wasn't thrilled.

My folks liked the look of the land a lot, but didn't like the Resistance area being so barren, and they really felt like there weren't enough aliens and creatures in the land, that was a big takeaway. They were kind of bothered by the whole thing being about shopping, and secondarily that the spaces are SO small if it's all about shopping, but the positives stuck with them the next day while the negatives didn't.

My step-dad and I each picked up a wind-up Chopper with electronic sounds, he's about 1:10th scale rather than 1:12th, too big for the 6" figures but perfect to scale with the Disney Parks die-cast R2. He makes 5 or 6 authentic sounds, and when you wind him up he goes straight then turns. Pretty decent for $10 pre-discount. They had a few that had been broken wind up mechanisms though.

I also spotted at the bottom of the Resistance store a new $15 (pre-discount) die cast ship, the Resistance Intersystem Transport Ship or I-TS, which looks like a chubby Tantive IV and I guessed was from the upcoming Rise of the Resistance ride vehicle. Turns out I was correct, it's smaller than the Tantive but has the hammerhead look. It's not as much die cast as the TIE Echelon, lighter weight with the lower half of the hull being plastic, but it has rotating guns on the sides of the front and an ok paint job. It has the same stand system as the TIE Echelon but with a round Resistance/Rebellion base.

Last edited:

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I've been watching the timing today, there's been no waiting period to get into the land, and still isn't one. The ride has fluctuated from 75 mins to 45 mins, currently at 55 mins.

One note I meant to include above is that there's something important I noticed about Smuggler's Run if you're the gunner: if you want manual targeting, you have to select this BEFORE you put on your seatbelt, the selection window is very short because the ride operator will shut down your chance to select it as soon as you complete the seatbelt check. They will tell you to start with seatbelts, but select manual targeting first.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
I might see you tomorrow then JT!

I had eyed that “Resistance Blockade Runner” diecast on the previous visit so I’ll be sure to get one tomorrow.

Regarding gunners on Smuggler’s Run, my sister tried auto and killed 14 TIES while I only managed 6 manually so I’ll be opting for auto whenever I get another shot at it. (Pun intended). On the one run where we piloted, we managed to get two containers of coaxium and if Beckett’s comments in Solo are to be taken at face value, that sort of haul is “best day of your life” two times over. However we had massive deductions at the end and only 18% shields so presumably our engineers were bottom tier. I also recall maneuvering into position to take out a formation of TIES only they failed to pick them all off and we sustained blaster fire. Despite that being the only run where my crew got two coaxiums, it was my lowest score among 4 rides which leads me to speculate that gunner and engineer are far far more important than one might be led to believe.

Reactions: JediTricks

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Indeed we did meet up on Wednesday, that was cool, sorry I didn't see your post earlier or we could have coordinated.

Figgy B. convinced me to abandon 1gb of my cellphone to the Disney Play app for SWGE's Datapad, it is fun. I did some hacking and some jobs, only to lose all the progress when I realized it didn't add my account correctly. The Smuggler's Run line job is fun BUT has a huge problem: the game is WAY slower than the line. I wanted to scan more inventory but the line was way too fast, I only got 2 scans. I spent a ton of time on the false identity game, that was fun until I realized it was super easy to just scroll up and look at the pic again, and also you don't get "paid" for it. The Falcon overlook game was impossible because the questions take too long, I'm supposed to be counting oddball shapes on the Falcon's left when I'm already on the right, that was a bummer as it kills your pay for the job.

There was a shocking lack of product on Wednesday. No M/L Jedi Robes, no Batuuan Spira gift cards, no Falcon dice, no Lothcats, no Sabacc, no wooden figures except Vader & Trooper & Ackbar, no Kyber crystals at all, almost no Legacy saber hilts, it was pretty nuts. They did get a new shipment of Kowakian Monkey Lizards at least.

I tried Green Milk as it was in stock and actually frozen, it wasn't as bad this time, but there's still something a bit weird about the taste. I saw the ingredients for both, first ingredient is sugar! Impressive given how not-sweet they are; both are naturally flavored and colored, which is great.

I finally did Smuggler's Run from the single rider line. It goes through different hallways which are interesting, and leads you to stairs everyone's waiting on, that leads directly to the circle room where you get credentials - single riders always end up as engineers. There's no elevator method to do Single Rider, but they will try to accommodate any ADA folks.

We didn't bother with the Cantina this time, now it's on an online reservation system so you get to wait in a line at a specific time. We tried to get desserts at Docking Bay 7 restaurant only to find it closes at 10pm, that's nuts, they really need this open until 11pm as the only other food in the land is Ronto Roasters which isn't enough variety at 1 sausage sandwich and 2 kinds of turkey jerky, and the popcorn nobody seems to care about because it's insanely expensive.

My buddy and I got to go on Smuggler's Run 3 times, the line taking about half an hour each time despite reading higher. I finally got to try manual targeting for the gunner station, it was interesting, kinda fun, but the lady across from me barely did anything and got 2 more kills than me. I got 8 kills at 21% accuracy, my previous time as gunner was automatic and a 32% accuracy, however the accuracy seems less important than the number of shots wasted as my first time I got -800 and this time I got -300 because I was more cautious. I don't think manual targeting is specifically necessary, my scores don't show a heavy difference, it's more about not wasting shots, but it's an extra challenge if you find yourself annoyed because they let a 4-year-old pilot and he slams the ship into every wall he sees while his father is taking video instead of piloting up and down (Hondo actually chastised them repeatedly yet humorously for their poor piloting).

One of our visits we got to do the ADA pod, I don't know how they make this work because we used the same lobby rear accessway as many other visits, yet it led us to the ADA pod waiting area which had a unique spiel outside the cockpit tunnel (so any wheelchair-using guests could leave without us being in their way) and an elevator and service dog crate right there. The pod is not on the carousel, so I'm guessing that accessway has a pivoting hallway leading to one or the other, it was fascinating.

Also, I finally figured out that "power-up" on the score details page is for when you power the Falcon up after the big crash in the middle. And it's possible to get 900 points on Boosts; boosts and brakes don't even light up green which is kinda unfair. And you can get more than 600 points for reeling in the engineer seat, one of my old details shows 645.

I have heard a lot of folks complain about the Engineer seat already, but I actually like this role, it gives you more time to watch the ride and it's an important role when your pilots screw up, and it's necessary for reeling in the crates. None of the seats are uncomfortable either, they blow air gently at your face to make you feel less claustrophobic and there's a grip handle at each. And the engineer seats are close enough that you can hit the upper toggles that don't do anything but are fun to click.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
A buddy and I hit SWGE again yesterday in the afternoon, then left for DCA and came back at the end of the night. Some thoughts...

- They got the L/XL Jedi Robes in finally.
- They had Figrin Bran's wooden R2 & 3PO back in, but no Boba Fett.
- They got Sabacc back in, I bought one.
- None of the shops in the marketplace have air conditioning, they're miserably stifling, every cast member looked absolutely beat despite a 79 degree day. It's gonna be a long, hot summer for them.
- I didn't realize the Disney Play app's SWGE Datapad actually kept track of your Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run scores, so when I opened it I had over 20,000 in credits pour in. That said, someone posted a screenshot of their Datapad where their Smugglers Run score was over 5,000 in the negative from all the crashing and they were charged those credits for it!
- We rode it again 3 more times, the first time they put us in the right side lobby and that lobby broke down, eventually moving us to the left side lobby. After that the times jumped up to 65 mins for the ride.
- In the evening, they fixed the right lobby and line times fluctuated between 35 and 45 mins, although that 45 mins turned out to be 25 IRL.
- We did single rider during one of the 45 min times listed, we waited 17 minutes to get credentials vs. the 25 we waited after in the regular line. I find the regular line far more enthralling than the Single Rider stairway, time passes very slowly in that stairwell.
- Tatooine Sunset at Ronto Roasters is a nice, lighter drink compared to the thick Sour Sarlacc. The Tatooine Sunset isn't my favorite beverage, but the taste is nice, and the melon and blueberry play with the low notes of the iced tea.
- Dok Ondar's was nearly out of Legacy Lightsabers, and it turns out the Kyber Crystals are now only sold behind the counter if you ask for them (there's a rumor floating around that they are only purchasable with a Holocron, that appears not to be true).

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Looks like I may be visiting on Wednesday in hopes of exchanging my wooden droids and picking up a Sabaac deck as well!

JT, the Disney play app only takes up around 600 mb on iOS so what I told you was true from a certain point of view :p

I found that the jobs that award credits on the Play app datapad game aren’t like one time gaming achievements and you can do them to farm for credits, pending a cool down period, of course.

There’s one hackable panel in the market place that will skim your credits (lost 10K!!!) so take caution when playing around with the app in there. Also I had some items (Star Map pieces, schematics, snowtrooper armor) go missing, not sure if those got “skimmed” or it’s an app glitch.

I tried green milk last time and I think I much prefer blue. Specifically the frozen blue available at the Milk Stand

DJ R3X is one of my favorite things on Batuu and I especially like how he’ll glitch up and start saying some of his Star Tours 1.0 lines “I’ve always wanted to do this”, “lightspeed to Endor!” “I meant to do that, ha ha!” Looks to me like this Rex is a completely different build and not a reuse of the original one.

The C3-PO from the Black Series Droid Depot 4 pack is an upgrade over all the previous 3PO’s as he uses the 4-LOM arms which have better articulation. DJ R3X from the same set also has a great deal of articulation - his claws can open/close and are on ball joints.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I have plans this Wednesday or I'd join you. Hopefully it works out in your favor and you can replace your busted figures. The only small thing I'm still looking for now is the metal Falcon dice, so I've got that going for me.

Yeah, it's 600mb on the Android one, but then another 500mb of data. :p

Oh wow, that's crazy that the panel stole your credits, good lookin' out!

I opened up the Sabacc set yesterday and practiced a few hands, it's super fun and I look forward to playing hands with all of you in Docking Bay 7 restaurant (I chose there because no wind to blow away the cards). The elongated hexagonal card shape is easy to shuffle, the cards feel decent. If you're familiar with stud poker, it's a little similar to that, with a little bit of Uno as well. The set is technically Corellian Spike Sabacc, with 62 instead of 76 cards, and a pair of dealer dice. The instructions explain everything pretty well, but don't cover betting whatsoever so you'll have to look to other sources if you want to add betting (Wookieepedia has an explanation on wagering in Corellian Spike, it's pretty much stud poker betting but the cards all stay face down).

There are 3 suits (called "staves" even though other Sabacc versions use that term in a different way): squares, triangles, and circles. Each stave has cards valued one through ten in green and red, green are positive and red are negative. There are also 2 zero cards (these are the idiots from The Idiots Array). The idea is to get a hand that equals zero, a sabacc, or get as close to zero as possible. If more than one player has sabacc, there's a lengthy succession of hands that beat other hands, from double-zero cards (the best hand in the game) to various parings and other methods. If nobody has sabacc, there is a succession of non-zero hands that beat others (closest to zero, matching staves, paired numbers, closest to zero on the positive side, most cards closest to zero, etc.,).

The cardbacks have the Sabacc logo but then have the logo of the Toydarian Toy Shop over it with "Toys" in Aurebesh, they're all identical cardbacks though so no worries about cheating. The only thing I don't like about the deck design is that the 1-6 are obvious cards with their staves represented by 1-6 shape, while 7-10 are not obvious with unique detailed drawings that don't have any obvious representation of what that card means besides an icon for their stave. So the 10 cards don't have 10 squares or even 10 points on their random shape, nor the 9 or 7. The 8 does have 8 staves in a Republic-like logo, but the tops just have a single stave instead of an additional icon so you can't quick-glance your cards. The 7 card at least has a shape you could interpret as a 7 in a starburst, but 9 and 10 you'll only remember after a few hands.

Gameplay starts by dealing clockwise from the dealer 2 cards each player (1, then another 1) face down, then creating a draw pile with the face-down undealt cards and a discard pile with the top undealt card face-up. Players can hold their cards, can swap one card for the top discard card, can draw a card from the draw pile, or can fold. Once all players have played the first portion, the dealer rolls the dice, if they come up doubles EVERYONE LOSES THEIR CARDS and gets a new set of cards from the draw pile equal to the number of cards they had -- this aspect adds a lot of fun and excitement to the hands, as your perfect strategy can get flushed at almost any time. Once the dice have been rolled (and new cards dealt if doubles), play continues for 2 more passes, so your hand can have up to 5 cards. A little math has to be done in your head as your hand has positive and negative cards, you can have +10, -6, and -5 to get a -1 hand and need to keep aware of this. The very last thing that happens before everyone shows their cards is a final roll of the dice, keeping it lively right to the end. Once a hand is over, dealer moves to the next seat.

I have to admit, I was playing 4 seats and there was a LOT going on in those games, it was hard to pull myself away, it was a total blast once I got the hang of it. I suspect playing this in Docking Bay 7 for a couple hours with a few friends is going to feel like the most Star Warsy thing about Galaxy's Edge, it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Reactions: figrin bran

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Checking the app, Smuggler's Run is still online (and 100 minutes, yikes!), pretty impressive that it could stay operating with the quake. All of Tomorrowland except the Autopia is offline. Fantasyland is all online except the Matterhorn. Toontown is offline. Splash Mountain, Big Thunder and Indiana Jones are offline. Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Winnie the Pooh are online.

In DCA, Hollywoodland is online (impressive for Guardians to stay online), Cars Land is online. Soarin' is online. Most of Pixar Pier is online. The Incredicoaster, Goofy's Sky School, Grizzly Rapids, and the Little Mermaid ride all offline.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Thanks guys for the great reviews! I've been eating this stuff up and I'm itching to go. I don't live that far away (just the SF Bay) but with two little ones under three, I just don't see myself getting there anytime in the next couple years. The way I see, it's that's fine since the rides aren't going anywhere and by the time we do all get to go, it'll be old news and just another part of the park for everyone else....

The thing that's eating me up though is the fact that it doesn't look like the merch is going to be available online (unless you want to pay stupid eBay prices). Hopefully, there won't be too much turn over in that regard and the stuff I'm interested in (legacy sabers and the Falcon dice) will be available for years to come.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I suspect once Florida opens and finds its level, the merch supply issue will sort itself out. That said, I want dem dice. :D

Rise of the Resistance has an opening date finally... December 5th... in Florida. In California, Jan 17th, MLK weekend. What are these clowns at Disney doing?!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Rise of the Resistance has an opening date finally... December 5th... in Florida. In California, Jan 17th, MLK weekend. What are these clowns at Disney doing?!
I suppose they think they have us on the end of a string; just shooting at us from a distance until our defenses lapse...

My hope to go in mid-Sept. still seems okay. So far.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
To be fair, December 5 or any day in that month for that matter would be a terrible time to open up at Disneyland what with all that goes on during the holiday season. Not to mention most tiers of annual passports are blocked out.

That being said, I’m not sure which will happen first : Rise of the Resistance opens or I finally track down these four things to buy (and I’ve been to Batuu four times already)

1. Sabaac deck
2. Spira gift card
3. Rey legacy saber (probably could have bought on my first visit but didn’t realize the rubber grips on my Master Replicas Anakin fx saber were deteriorating and that the legacy would be more than an adequate replacement
4. Wooden Boba Fett because I didn’t look carefully when buying it the first time and got one with a broken jet pack.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Disneyland AP Blockouts don't start until Dec 12th for SoCal Select and the 19th for Deluxe and Flex passes, 20th for the Signature. Early December is actually quite tame at Disneyland, it's nice, and wouldn't have been a good time to launch a new ride at all. :D

For a land many folks are claiming isn't good, they sure sell out of a lot of stuff.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com

That link is SWGE from above, and there's spoilers in the Rise of the Resistance area for that ride: SPOILERS

You can see Poe's X-wing built just across from the regular one, and half of the Resistance I-TS ship which suggests we're only going to see it from that one side. Also, the show building doesn't look that big in the pic but in the pic of the Falcon, you can see it's much bigger.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Went back on Sunday after a month away, they finally had the Falcon dice back in and in good amounts. They're good and heavy, so if you're buying a set, watch for scuffs - I didn't see any on the ones they had but you never know. Also, maybe don't hang them in your car as they might smack into your windshield. :p

With that time off and then seeing it again, I think my take on Galaxy's Edge has cooled a bit. There's something missing, the Falcon ride is still great but there's nothing else to attract one's attention if you're not buying into the saber-building or the cantina or the droid-building and you're not doing the datapad game in the Disney Play App. We saw a couple stormtroopers during the day, they left before the sun did, and there's just nothing else to see and do. The shops are just shops, once you've seen them and looked at the decor, that's it.

It doesn't feel alive enough, there's still barely any music and what is there doesn't come through enough. Trying to make the Disneyland Cast Members BE the show isn't working, they are busy doing their jobs and each one brings a different level of entertainment so there's never a unified feel, it was unfair to ask them to do that heavy lifting. Disney has reported in that spending is indeed up at the park since SWGE's opening 10%, but guest turnout is down 3% (and that number feels deflated given the low turnout this summer, I would guess more like 20%), they need live music, action, adventure, something to give SWGE more life than just a mobile game. There's no droids, no aliens, nothing happening. There's a little 4-minute show with Kylo and the Troopers, and Rey and Chewbacca on their side of the land, and there's not much draw to either of those shows. Something needs to change, to fill that space with life and fun.