Star Wars Rebels - Season 3

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
So is Ahsoka permanently gone from the show? She's the primary reason I gave up on this series a few episodes into season 2, but I'll consider giving it another chance if they finally got around to killing her off.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
So is Ahsoka permanently gone from the show? She's the primary reason I gave up on this series a few episodes into season 2, but I'll consider giving it another chance if they finally got around to killing her off.
Hard to say if she is permanently gone from the show. They left it open ended enough that she could return sometime in the future. With that said, I think they resolved most of what they wanted to accomplish with her in regards to loose Clone Wars plot threads. They brought back Darth Maul though, so now you get to look forward to that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I think the (mostly) positive fan reaction led Dave to want to keep her around, but since they work so far ahead on the show, she wouldn't show up for a few seasons. I think her facing Vader would have been the most appropriate way to send her off, but maybe they've got something cool planned for her. Either way, it doesn't sound like she'll be reappearing any time soon.

I'm glad to see they're bringing in Wedge and the Y-wings (hopefully with reference to their TCW history). They're barreling toward ANH!

I only recently read Heir to the Empire for the first time (I had started it years ago but didn't get far) in anticipation of Thrawn's return. The story itself is full of too many coincidences even for SW (Luke and Han, on completely separate adventures with different goals, somehow wind up in the same place together twice), and Zahn's writing style is more interested in showing the physical (SO MANY characters feel their lips twitch, and shivers up their spines) so I never felt like I was in the characters' heads the way I have in other books (a great recent example being Bloodline). Even without the sequel trilogy and the Legends reorganization, this story features many elements that don't fit in a post-prequel world (ysalimiri, the small galaxy, psychotic clones, Kashyyyk). I recognize its historical importance in providing a SW story when it looked like there would be no more, but I think it was too at odds with how I picture the SW galaxy. Coincidences aside, the story itself was pretty entertaining. I'm hoping they take this new opportunity to really make Thrawn the villain he's cracked up to be.

Also, having a dark-skinned subservient species called Noghri was kinda unsettling. Why? Well, just switch the vowel sounds, and remember that Thrawn wanted them to have black skin until LFL made him change it to gray...

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I remember hearing once that the Noghri were initially to be called "Sith," since (at that time) Darth Vader was the Lord of something we had no idea about. Lucas put the kibosh on it.

He also wanted to use Royal Guards, but Lucas had grand plans for them and made them off limits. He later went back on that and we have no idea what those plans were.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I remember hearing once that the Noghri were initially to be called "Sith," since (at that time) Darth Vader was the Lord of something we had no idea about. Lucas put the kibosh on it.

He also wanted to use Royal Guards, but Lucas had grand plans for them and made them off limits. He later went back on that and we have no idea what those plans were.
I'd heard the first, too.

But, no "grand plans" you say? Uh, Yoda totally knocks their heads together in ROTS before facing Palpy! And, George MADE THEM BLUE FIRST! How can you say that?

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
This season is only one 5-minute episode, right?

Because, unless they completely neutered him, Thrawn will destroy the main characters in half that time. (The other two minutes will be him sipping Niimian tea and admiring paintings.)

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I finally got around to watching. This seemed... interesting. I don't think there's a way to pull back from where they went, so they have to keep going, lean into the nuttiness that was the Bendu and the Sith holocron with Ezra. Luckily, the Bendu is voiced by an amazing actor, but Who nose who that is?

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Anyone know when the episodes will be available on the watch XD app?
They'll be up on the air day, just like season two. I'm fairly sure they go up in the mornings.

I really enjoyed the premiere, even though after the balls-to-the-wall insanity of the finale it felt much more subdued.

The new character designs are all quite nice and reflect the march closer to ANH.

I was very glad to see the continuation of the Y-wing thread that started in TCW. So these are the ones that General Dodonna uses!

Kanan and Ezra will both have interesting journeys through the Force this year, it seems.

They got rid of the "mysterious" side of Thrawn, since he's working with other high-level Imperials. Other than that, the characterization felt very much in line with HTTE and was genuinely chilling.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I started to search for the Bendu voice actor, then WHO should I look at more closely at his previous post, but JediTricks! Well played, doc!

So, Ezra's gonna be a Sith someday, eh? Seems to be the tease. I was actually shocked to see the Phantom blow up; never considered that "character" ships would "die." Loved all of Thrawn, except that his head seemed oddly thin and less blue than I expected. The female Imperial reminded me of Irina Spalko of IJatKotCS fame, in looks and mannerisms. Apparently, as an Imperial, if you get demoted to an out-of-the-way scrap yard, you learn Ugnaught-speak?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
It helped to watch today's episode a few hours after watching the DVR'd first one. Since it's only been new for a few hours, I'll be vague: I didn't like Maul's attendance here, what happened with the two holocrons was interesting (spoiler: wonder which "he" Maul meant; I have ideas) but not completely unexpected, wonder how long Bendu will remain in this season (or series).

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
It helped to watch today's episode a few hours after watching the DVR'd first one. Since it's only been new for a few hours, I'll be vague: I didn't like Maul's attendance here, what happened with the two holocrons was interesting (spoiler: wonder which "he" Maul meant; I have ideas) but not completely unexpected, wonder how long Bendu will remain in this season (or series).
SPOILERS ahead if you haven't seen the episode.

Ezra seeing twin suns and Maul saying "he lives" and having a freakout would lead me to believe that they're seeing Obi-Wan, right? I wondered if Maul was seeing Vader and fretting about his post-season two fate, but I don't think Maul even knew they were on Malachor together. He wants to destroy the Sith, but he never got to resolve his anger at Obi-Wan. Perhaps that is what will sidetrack him on his quest and destroy him completely. I wonder if we'll see it at the end of this season, similar to last year's Vader vs. Ahsoka showdown. Will Ezra tag along and meet Luke?!

The idea of a Jedi and Sith holocron merging and creating stronger power indicates that the true path of the Force isn't the Jedi or the Sith, but something more in the middle. Bendu is the latest character to show this, but different schools of thought on the Force have been popping up more frequently lately (the Nightsisters, the Dagoyans, Lor San Tekka's allegiance to the Church of the Force, Snoke and Kylo, Jedha in Rogue One). It would be interesting if Luke and Rey realized that balance of the Force didn't actually mean destroying the dark side, but light and dark living together. If I had to guess, I'd say that Ezra ultimately decides not to be a Jedi, similar to Ahsoka, which would still make Luke the last of the Jedi. I wouldn't be surprised if Kanan didn't survive the series, though.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Let me know when Thrawn just pimp-slaps Maul into space, and we watch him explode, and he says, "I'm dying for reals this time!" and we see his severed head hit the window and splatter, and then the credits include the note, "Maul is really dead. He's never coming back. Ever. Swear to God."