Star Wars Rebels season 4 - the final season

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
When I set the two episodes to record, I read the Info button summary of the second, which spoiled the first in a way (and I guessed correctly why). Didn't diminish the effect, only my personal expectation.

More specifics as others watch it/them.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Those two episodes were Rebels at its finest! Disagree about the second one being filler...Space Whale episode, now that was filler ;)

We have seen those engravings before that Ezra was presented with! Back in the Mortis episodes of Clone Wars! Sounds like we may get some further exposition on Father, Son, Daughter.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I don't know when you watch the new episodes. I will be recording two new ones tonight. Hera was rescued in an amazing two part episode that made it look like Kane Kanan died. I saw glimpses of him in upcoming previews so I take it he did not die but everybody thinks he did. It is a common plot device but Rebels did it very well. I love Grand Admiral thrawn in this episode. The wolves are interesting. I don't know that they should have made one talk versus communicate with Ezra by telepathy. All they would need to do was make the voice echo and the mouth not move. Wonder if those are spirits of Jedi that died. Where is Kallus? I called that he would turn into a good guy several seasons ago and some people said no. I was right. I want to say I told you so. Thank you. That made me feel better.

This show is good and when Hera and Kanan interacted I think it touched on the emotional levels that Clone Wars used to reach.

It is not Clone Wars however.

some rumors are suggesting the new animated show will be black Squadron. Maybe before the force awakens. The show could have potential but if Poe Dameron is a lead I would rather not regress him while Leia's objective is to have him grow up and become the leader. I hope he is funny again in episode 9 but yes I would like to see him be that leader and grow up. They could have done shows with black Squadron antics before - like in his comic book. And I'm thinking black Squadron was almost killed off in the ski speeder stunt in The Last Jedi. It wouldn't surprise me.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The first one, "Wolves and a Door," wasn't as great as "A World Between Worlds," but both were strong. I'll try out the "spoilers" feature below...

The words from other films characters (both before and after the Rebels time period) heard as Ezra walks through the temple were awesome enough, but I really liked the moving artwork and interior views of it. It reminded me of Raiders, while watching Belloq open the Ark; and LOTR trying to open that starlight doorway; and the Tardis or the Land of the Lost crystal chamber; and Tron. Who voiced the Imperial advisor? His voice sounds very familiar (quick search: Malcolm McDowell; I should've known that). I do believe that was Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor. Did not expect Ahsoka, but she fit perfectly into the storyline.
Next week's episode shows as a full one hour in the DVR queue. Then, it's over. :(

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I was so wrapped up in grading that I missed the first episode last night, but saw the second - WOW! I'm sort of confused about this addition to the mythology. I don't want to post spoilers until more of us have seen this, but it was great to hear certain voices and there were enough that I'll have to watch it again to isolate what I heard and better understand what I saw.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Yes, some immense implications for Force mythology!

Hopefully this isn’t too spoilery of a comment but it’s a shame it takes until the end of the series for Sabine’s artistic side to be depicted as something more than “look at the colors on the TIE Fighter, lol!”

Reactions: Tycho

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
The episode made me cry. I've also posted before that I think Ben and Rey could be the son and daughter reincarnated. Then who is the father?

But I'd rather they went the Solo family route, or ReyLo as a tragedy.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I was so wrapped up in grading that I missed the first episode last night, but saw the second - WOW! I'm sort of confused about this addition to the mythology. I don't want to post spoilers until more of us have seen this, but it was great to hear certain voices and there were enough that I'll have to watch it again to isolate what I heard and better understand what I saw.
Remember, the Spoiler Feature here will be with you always, at TFG.
Grading? Wrapped up? Your Star Wars TV this is!

This was the best episode visually by far in the series

Reactions: Maradona

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
These were some of the series' best episodes, and it's a shame there's not more time to really unspool this material in the series, as I'd love to see how it dealt with the implications. The Emperor was truly an evil wizard here, moreso than any other incarnation, complete with evil chants, and it was impressive. It's obvious that Dave Filoni took a lot of storytelling lessons to heart on Avatar: The Last Airbender, hopefully the finale pays off in just as satisfying a manner. It was also visually wonderful, some of the best art this show's ever done.

Some sites have made a big deal about this adding time travel to the canon. I get that, this was a very literal interpretation, but the Force has always been said to give its users access to the past, other places, and even the future... just through visions rather than another plane of existence. I was not entirely sure how I felt, but it handled a complex subject in a manner that kids would find approachable, and I think that's a really important thing for Star Wars to remember: it's for everyone.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I realize now that I missed that first half hour (because the first part of the one-hour one made little sense). :mad: And the rerun of the hour one is later today, but not the first 1/2-hour part? Grr!

BUT THOSE LAST 3 MINUTES TO END THE SERIES?!? :eek:

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Pellaeon lives!!! Or at least lived. Never would I imagine that the purgil would pay off in any way but sure enough they did. Everything I’ve said over the years about that episode being filler was wrong it seems.

Overall a fantastic finale and I look forward to Ahsoka and Sabine’s adventures in whatever medium they may take place. Kanan’s training of Sabine with light/dark saber didn’t pay off in any way but perhaps in the future?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Pellaeon lives!!! Or at least lived.

Overall a fantastic finale and I look forward to Ahsoka and Sabine’s adventures in whatever medium they may take place. Kanan’s training of Sabine with light/dark saber didn’t pay off in any way but perhaps in the future?
Didn't pay off? She broke a window with it! :p

The one name I dropped my jaw when I heard it: "Jacen." And just the fact of WHEN the last scenes were set, was something I am ashamed I did not consider as a possibility.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
That "Jacen" had then dyed his hair green? I was trying to figure out if Kanan and Hera... but the kid had no lekku (Twilek headtails).

And Sabine and Ezra might be a thing one day, but that should not be their kid!

Only if Jacen like flying and she said we knew who his father was...Han?

I would retcon the sequel trilogy so that you could make all the legends Canon again either by having multiple solo kids or changing Jacen's name to Ben - in the narrative so there is a reason in the fictional Universe for that. I already know it or what I would do if I was writing that and accounting for Ben Skywalker as well. And yes Adam Driver would not be biologically related to Luke but obviously to Han and Leia. That's more than I have battery power to go into right now. Just ask if you're interested.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I just finished the finale, it was very powerful, I think they did a pretty good job with most of it, and an excellent job with the actual closing moments and the epilogue. I am glad they got a full credit sequence, too, it felt right. The whole affair felt in a way like the closing chapter of the last real piece of Star Wars, that the series which started before the soulless corporatization of Star Wars had begun scourging it of vision and meaning (although apparently Filoni is already working at Disney to make a new Star Wars animated series). It's been an honor covering it for as long as I have, I am sorry to see it go, but I am glad to see it complete. It was also nice to see what many of us had suspected, that Filoni himself voiced Chopper. And I was glad to see Sabine get a sense of purpose that she had always been searching for, that was great.

I am glad that this specifically ended on a note of hope and meaning for Star Wars post-ROTJ, the world of TFA/TLJ has been one of deconstructing and devaluing what Star Wars means and what those struggles represented. Rebels ends on an epilogue recognizing that these things really did stand for something, that people fought and died for important reasons. The Ghost crew has witnessed some of the most impossibly powerful evils be victorious and then fall to the power of the little guy rising up, they may not have been Luke and Leia, but they saw Vaders and Palpatines rise, destroy, and ultimately lose their power to the will of good.

Jacen was the son of Hera and Kanan, his age and his human-twilek hybrid confirm all we need to know, he is the hope for her future. It was a nice touch with the naming.