Supreme Leader Snoke is...

Tycho

Jedi Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
So by way of interviews discussed on Jedi news UK, Snoke is thin and tall. Sounds like a Muun (Darth Plagueis) to me.

If Palpatine was trying to take over the Sith with a New Order, then Plagueis was the First Order.

It's simple logic.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
The Snoke=Plagueis theory has been debunked by Lucasfilm a number of times, but keeps popping up. We'll know the truth next week!

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Snoke is definitely not a Muun, but now the Plagueis Truthers are pointing out that Plagueis' canon species is not necessarily a Muun.

The thing about Plagueis is that he's definitely dead, regardless of species. "He could save others from death...but not himself."

I wonder how tall Snoke actually is? I thought it strange that he was so huge, since we haven't really seen that outside of the Gorax in the Ewok movies, so I was a little relieved when it was just a hologram reminiscent of Palpatine's giant ESB head. Andy Serkis has said he's 7-foot-something, but obviously that could change by the time they show him in person.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Okay, snark entirely gone. Something jumped out at me on the TFA CD (yes, CD). It made me pop in a certain 10-year-old CD to confirm my suspicions.

So let me re-finish the sentence.

...accompanied by a theme, noted for its wordless male vocals, that is the same as the otherwise unique theme played when Palpatine tells Anakin about Darth Plagueis.

So he's got some connection, even if he's not Plagueis.

He could still be a Muun. We've not seen enough Muuns to know how they age. Nor do we know how any machinations (Force-based or otherwise) he's employed to cheat death would affect his physiology. Keep in mind, too, that Plagueis being a Muun named Hego Damask is old EU; as much a shame as it would be to ditch the revelations of the novel named after him, it could no longer be valid. (It did say Sheev had no first name, after all.)

I think there's a very intriguing long game here that is going to flip around our conceptions of the other six movies....

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Or, since apparently any item can be retrieved (from below a floating city, on a forest moon), maybe one of the Emperor's Royal Guards found the Finger of Palaptine and cloned it. No worse than The Glove of Darth Vader. Well, that was bad... but since EU is no more, THIS would be worse.

I do see what you're considering, Chux. We shall see over the next two films, with how the Force "awakens."

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I wonder if the similar music was intentional, or a coincidence? I haven't heard the album yet but I'll keep an ear out, and I've seen others make the connection. For what it's worth, keep in mind that we hear Leia's theme when Obi-Wan dies, Yoda's theme on Cloud City, the Emperor's theme when Anakin confesses to killing the Tuskens, etc.

The canon novel Tarkin kept the idea that Plagueis was Sidious' master, but doesn't give Plagueis' pre-Sith name; yesterday Pablo Hidalgo mentioned that a recent reference book had a "Hego Damask reference that shouldn't be in there." So you're right that Plagueis could possibly not be a Muun...though his species was decided by George, and they seem hesitant to change any of his decisions about existing material. I definitely don't think Snoke is a Muun, even an aged, twisted one, since he just looks too dissimilar (and yes I know Palpatine looks different after getting meltified, but at least he still looks like a twisted human). Then, again, there's the whole Plagueis-was-killed thing.

But I would be all for Snoke having some kind of connection to the Sith, even if he's not one. He clearly can feel the Force, or at least pretends like he can. Regardless of species, he certainly doesn't look like he's less than 30 years old, so he probably would have been around during the events of at least some of the previous movies. He's carrying on Palpatine's legacy, but why? So he can have power himself? Because they were old school chums?

The 'Xir

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 20, 2001
Da' Cuse
Visit site
I wonder how tall Snoke actually is? Andy Serkis has said he's 7-foot-something, but obviously that could change by the time they show him in person.
Know fans would absolutely go nuts and hate this, but had a funny what if thought, if in the end it turns out Snoke is just like, 3 ft tall?!
Kinda like 'a pull the curtain' on "The Great and Powerful OZ" moment! lol Ok ill stop now :silly:

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I wonder if the similar music was intentional, or a coincidence? I haven't heard the album yet but I'll keep an ear out, and I've seen others make the connection. For what it's worth, keep in mind that we hear Leia's theme when Obi-Wan dies, Yoda's theme on Cloud City, the Emperor's theme when Anakin confesses to killing the Tuskens, etc.
He has used themes in seemingly unusual places, but there's usually a reason, even if not immediately obvious, and almost always important themes. Resurrecting a one-off piece from ten years ago (almost 50 years in-universe) to serve as a character's theme seems like an odd choice.

I'm not 100% sure it's Plagueis' theme; it could even not be Snoke's. The music could be some sort of "Ancient Sith Theme."

I just suspect Snoke is a lot more important to everything than simply being the (literal?) big bad guy.

DarkJedi5

Jedi Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Anyone else thinking that what we see as Snoke, may not actually be what Snoke looks like? Someone mentioned above the Wizard of Oz and I know I was certainly thinking that the whole first time I saw the scene. What's to say the actual Snoke looks anything like the hologram projection? I don't think we've seen false holos in universe before, but who says it's not possible?

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I think the intention was to get the audience to think that Snoke is Emperor Palpatine, who has somehow survived being thrown into the Death Star chasm. At least that was my first impression of the character.

I don't think that's who it really is though. It's a red herring, just like the trailers being edited in a way to make people think Luke Skywalker was Kylo Ren.

Currently, I have no idea who Snoke is, but I'm excited to find out and hope that the eventual reveal is worth the wait.

I did see hints of Gollum and Caesar in Snoke's performance, but that's no different than seeing hints of Fozzy Bear or Grover in Yoda's performances from ESB and ROTJ.

DarkJedi5

Jedi Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Trying to read through the novel before seeing it again and the book has a line by Snoke (presumably cut from an earlier draft of the script because they dialogue is nearly the same, there's just more of it) which says that he witnessed the rise and fall of the Empire. There's also a line from Leia telling Han that Snoke seduced their son to the dark side, that Snoke was watching him the whole time. This doesn't really explain exactly who he is, but might help fuel the speculation here.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I am also almost done reading the novelization, and throughout it (and the film) it is clear that Snoke is not a myth; he's real and has a history. Leia and Han seem to know him (which assumes perhaps that so does/did Luke), even the First Order officers are aware of him. it also seems obvious that he has some Force abilities, and that others know/knew that, too.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
In the newest SW trading card series (what? you say you don't even collect the cards, but...?), Galactic Files: Reborn, they have D&D-type stats on various categories (strength, diplomacy, Force ability, intelligence, speed, etc.). Snoke's card shows NO RANKINGS AT ALL. I say, Snoke is basically Hologram Tupac.