Teachers

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
One more (sort of) local bombshell we got today (the last day of final exams). This has (thankfully) not been the worst year I've ever had a teacher, but I do think this has been the worst overall year for this school: more teachers, students, issues, conflicts, etc. going on throughout these months, with little break. And we're NOT a bad school; it's just been a perfect storm of "ugh" for 2015-16. :(

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
One more (sort of) local bombshell we got today (the last day of final exams). This has (thankfully) not been the worst year I've ever had a teacher, but I do think this has been the worst overall year for this school: more teachers, students, issues, conflicts, etc. going on throughout these months, with little break. And we're NOT a bad school; it's just been a perfect storm of "ugh" for 2015-16. :(
Keep your head up! The next year can't be as tough. This is a profession of many peaks and many valleys.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Keep your head up! The next year can't be as tough. This is a profession of many peaks and many valleys.
I've had years where it was anger or despair as my last emotions when walking off campus; this year, just relief. So, yeah, my head's up! I'll have two sections of AP for the first time, after years of applying, and a couple things I've been working with have had more time to gel and build momentum. Thanks for the support! :D

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
It must be close to school resuming: sleep is back to being intermittent and I wake with either weird dreams or weird shards of dreams in my head. Classroom is now set, I have most of my first week's lessons, will work on making copies and my syllabi tomorrow. Need to get more in-depth with the AP classes (audited syllabus, which specific sources, writing prompts, sample multiple choice ones, etc.). Nervous/anxious and excited/interested for this coming Monday.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Indeed. $400 spent yesterday on classroom supplies by Mrs. TI7. (Whatever happened to lottery contributions and taxes?).
She is supposed to spend that $400 on lotto tickets or scratchers to get MORE than she started! :CommonCoreFunding:

I have moved from overwhelmed to just whelmed about prepping for AP classes. All (well, mostly) my first week copying is finished, at least what HAS to be done the first week. This will be year #15, so according to a quick online search, I should get a watch or crystal. Monday here I come!

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I'm dreading the return, to some extent. I go back to the bell system on Wednesday for our annual rung of meetings before the students return. Monday and Tuesday are going to pass by too quickly.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Survived the first day! Onward! (except for the fact that according to one source, we are over the equivalent of 5 class periods of English, which = one whole teacher; and I'm over contract by 9 students until they balance the numbers)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
That was one of the most draining first week's I can recall in my 15 years of having a first week. By Tuesday, it felt like twice as many days had passed. I learned some things, and I tried to teach some other things. Pretty good group of kids, as far as I can tell. Only 175 days to go! :p

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
So another school year starts for me and I'm reminded of something a colleague told during my first year: "Don't smile until Christmas." I immediately smiled at that and have been ever since. Year 16 starts the bottom half of my career (presuming I make it through 30 of these) and I can honestly say that I love my all-together too engrossing job, the often ridiculous, child-like people I work with, and the importance (now more than ever) of this profession.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
You know those weeks as a teacher when your administration broaches a course that in "theory" is supposed to help students towards aspects of graduation status but in reality is a thinly-veiled breach of ethics in order to boost statistics, and you learn that a teacher is accepting a new position out of the county the same day he's leaving, and hallways are filled with wandering students at every time of day who are defiant in their behavior when you simply ask them why they're out of class plus no backing-up from fellow teachers when you ask them, and events are seemingly all scheduled on the same days, and very little notice is given with upcoming activities, and your department chair has been out for that week with illnesses so no one's made any decisions or passed on such information?

Yeah. A week in October.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Had parent conference DAY yesterday to be followed by parent conference NIGHT today. Zero classes yesterday. The students showed up to take the PSAT for the entirety of the day, a minimum one at that, and their parents showed up afterwards for an afternoon of "your son/daughter just needs to start doing their work" in Spanish. Tonight will feature more of the same.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I tried to enjoy as much of this winter break as possible, so I didn't even start grading (let alone recording and submitting) until a couple days ago. Now, just need to plan some lessons for this upcoming week (administration tends to look favorably on that aspect of teaching :rolleyes: ).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Definitely back to school now; I feel that combination of relief/relaxation/frustration/anxiety/contentment that is the end of the first week back from a week+ break. Next week will be interesting, based on what's scheduled and how this week ended. Sigh...

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
You know how when you're around coworkers but out of any students' earshot and a couple words of $#@& come out, despite your usual professionalism and complete lack of profanity, with recent goings-on that are absolutely mind-numbing and despairing?

Yeah. Today.