Teachers

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Tomorrow starts 48 straight days without a day off (last three are half day final exams). Some will say "boo hoo; that's SO hard," but trying to keep 31-38 juniors per class focused and on-task that long (with online testing, AP testing, spring sports early releases, prom, etc.) is always a challenge. Onward!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I am going to make a prediction: next week will be one of the strangest weeks in my time as a teacher. We shall see.
One of? Certainly. The most strange? Nah. What happened...?
- rescheduled collaboration day (will be rescheduled AGAIN, due to training)
- rescheduled quiz (to another day, which will be interesting how that works)
- on-campus visit from the CA Gold Ribbon committee (determines if school will be awarded a distinguished status)
- on-campus training (minimum day schedule, that was announced within the past month) that seemed to be punitive but may/may not be
- after school duty at track meet (believe I left there dehydrated, and remained so for about a full day; could've left about 30 minutes earlier if the one remaining triple jump athlete reported in that she was passing her jumps then)
- various odd student/parent issues still brewing (plus a couple new ones)
- finally got weeks worth of grading done, to the point that I could file some other piles of papers waiting for weeks too
- online training for upcoming computer testing

In a list (LISTS... :drool: ) like that, it seems like nothing, but some of those "issues" fizzled out (thankfully).

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
One of? Certainly. The most strange? Nah. What happened...?
- rescheduled collaboration day (will be rescheduled AGAIN, due to training)
- rescheduled quiz (to another day, which will be interesting how that works)
- on-campus visit from the CA Gold Ribbon committee (determines if school will be awarded a distinguished status)
- on-campus training (minimum day schedule, that was announced within the past month) that seemed to be punitive but may/may not be
- after school duty at track meet (believe I left there dehydrated, and remained so for about a full day; could've left about 30 minutes earlier if the one remaining triple jump athlete reported in that she was passing her jumps then)
- various odd student/parent issues still brewing (plus a couple new ones)
- finally got weeks worth of grading done, to the point that I could file some other piles of papers waiting for weeks too
- online training for upcoming computer testing

In a list (LISTS... :drool: ) like that, it seems like nothing, but some of those "issues" fizzled out (thankfully).
Our Gold Ribbon visit was Wednesday. Did they recommend your school get it?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Our Gold Ribbon visit was Wednesday. Did they recommend your school get it?
We are supposed to wait; there were four other schools in our district that applied, too. But in true Magic 8 Ball style: "signs point to yes."

CAASPP testing starts in 6 school days (with 8 block-scheduled days of tests [3 periods per day]), then AP testing for the following two weeks after that. Then finals. :whew: :eek:

[edit] Barnes & Noble is having another Education Week discount (25% if you've signed up with their program) on just about any item in stores through 4/9 (at least in my area).

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
There are 13 school days (including the 3 half days for final exams) left. I'm not normally one who counts days remaining, but this has been one of "those" years. We're past CAASPP online testing (and make-ups) and prom, Wednesday is the day for AP junior English testing, and I have graduation duty (taking tickets at the gate). Year 15 has sure been a year of effort (as they always are, just more so this time around).

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
We have 23 school days left, a number which includes 4 more days of AP testing, 8 days of CAASPP testing, and finals week. After that, I've got three days of training for the summer bridge program I'm teaching this year, which will take me all the way to July 11 and then summer can finally start for me.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
We have 23 school days left, a number which includes 4 more days of AP testing, 8 days of CAASPP testing, and finals week. After that, I've got three days of training for the summer bridge program I'm teaching this year, which will take me all the way to July 11 and then summer can finally start for me.
Goodness gracious! That's too much. CAASPP after AP is an interesting schedule choice; wonder how much buy-in (and test fatigue) there'd be. How does your school attempt to motivate the juniors, since it's not a "real" test in the sense that it doesn't appear on transcripts, isn't a graduation requirement, nor connected to grades? We've struggled with those dilemmas. :( (but, on the bright side, we did get the Gold Ribbon award, along with 4 other schools in our district! :D )

TI, was she... KIDnapped? For the last 10 months or so?

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Goodness gracious! That's too much. CAASPP after AP is an interesting schedule choice; wonder how much buy-in (and test fatigue) there'd be. How does your school attempt to motivate the juniors, since it's not a "real" test in the sense that it doesn't appear on transcripts, isn't a graduation requirement, nor connected to grades? We've struggled with those dilemmas. :( (but, on the bright side, we did get the Gold Ribbon award, along with 4 other schools in our district! :D )
Congratulations! We earned the Gold Ribbon award as well, which, as you know, means the school will go through almost the same process again next year for the National Blue Ribbon. We haven't renewed ours since 2006, so we're due and mounds of applications and visits will be our norm again in 2017-2018, the year before WASC returns.

Our CAASPP buy-in is pretty solid and, for me at least, it's an easy sell: do well on the test and pass your 12th grade English class with a C or better and you skip remedial English in college. The CSU system, UCLA (and maybe more UCs now), and community colleges honor the results of the CAASPP as their placement test. When students see the benefits of doing well on this test, they tend to do better - I speculate.

By the way, I checked out your school's website and it's far more useful and relevant than ours is.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
All that's left now: printing the last pages of my final exams, which will be HAPPILY COMPLETED, with FULL EFFORT AND INTEREST by ALL students next week. They will be; they WILL be :creepyYodavoice: :pleased:

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
Man you guys got it easy. I had to wait until June 23 until I could shake the last kid out the door. Still congrats to all teachers (and their spouses) for the completion of another year!
That was the last day for my girlfriend as well due to several snow days. At least one local district had to go into the next week. Back in my school days, I think the latest we ever went was June 14.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Well, you're out... we START in less than 3 weeks!?! :eek: I'm going into my classroom today to get a head's-up on organizing and planning. We're getting AP scores now, too (apparently, I'm NOT the worst AP teacher ever).

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Today was the last day of the summer bridge program at my school, so summer began for me at 3:30. This was a quite a school year. I've been lucky to work under just two wonderful principals in my sixteen year career: the founder of our school for the first two years and my retiring principal for the past fourteen. They've always let me be me in the classroom (a big nerd) and that's not something I take for granted. I can only hope that the new leadership will embrace the unique nature of our school.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
We'll also have quite a turnover this year in admin.: 2nd year of our most recent principal, and all 4 APs are in their 1st years here (2 are from outside our district, IIRC). We just had a vote (on class bell schedule changes) at the end of the school year that might have an effect on morale. Year 16 of our school will hopefully be sweet, rather than teen angst-y.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Well, going to school to work on my classroom yesterday was depressing: realized I have an A/C drip (small, but anything with water inside an English classroom's not so good) from the ceiling, the recycling place (just down the street from the school) where I go to drop off what I've collected is going to close by the end of next month, they changed our online attendance-taking program (it's fine, appears to have some new possibly-helpful features... except where to enter attendance?!? :confused: ) so I can't see who's in my classes but that I have periods of 40, 39, 37, and two of 35 students. Yeouch.

Reactions: Maradona

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Made it through the first week of school, not because of student problems (really, weren't any of significance) or case load (sure, I'm 10 students over right now, but somehow it seems okay), just physically down. Guess I can use Obi-Wan's famous phrase: "twisted and evil." No, no: "I'm getting too old for this sort of thing." My powers are weak, man...

But, I am getting kudos from colleagues and former students on my successful AP scores, plus the continuing recycling program.