Teachers

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Congratulations on the AP scores, BCJ! Those types of accomplishments are really valuable for everyone involved. I hope to one day join the AP fraternity. I was schedule to begin AP Seminar this year, but that went to another teacher partially under the premise that I would teach the follow up course - AP Research - next year. With a new principal, though I cannot say for certain that this will be the case. We have barely spoken about this year, so next year is way off.

Started the school year this week with four days of classes and one epic day of meetings before it all. I left late everyday except Friday, where I left only an hour after no longer being on the paid clock. The extra hours count for me this week also included four on Monday, two on Tuesday, one and a half on Wednesday, three and a half on Thursday for a grand total of twelve volunteer hours to get the year off to its start - the number does not count last weekend's uncounted hours spent revising my first week documents. Ultimately, this is par for the course of teaching and I embrace doing it.

In terms of class size, I only have one class with more students than chairs and that's my first period film class. My 11th grade English classes are all within the 36 desks I have available and the journalism class is at its usual low number of far below 36.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Ah, 36 desks... I remember those days... (I have 40 now, with 2 classes having one unoccupied desk, and another with 3 open). Second week started very poorly, ended pretty decently. Back to School Night next week.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
First illness day off in some time (thought I could make it through to the weekend, but realized it just wasn't right to do that). So of COURSE I'll get caught up on my grading backlog today, right...? (sniff, cough, hack) :zzz:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
No working Internet today at school... can't see any problems with that. Good thing I never schedule lessons that involve computers on Mondays (too many times that's been the worst day for access).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I still take attendance on paper, then type it in during each period. That helps me track participation (or lack thereof) for the students, too. I am so saddened that many (almost most) of my co-workers are so unprepared when electronic issues arise; I just expect them. :(

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Good news: my electronics refurbishing club won a $2K grant and it was presented today before school (we were one of 100 winners nationwide, out of apparently around 1400 submissions).
Bad news: during one class, a student said "I don't know how you don't want to kill some of these students." (Yoda: "Control! You must learn control! ;) )

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Great job, BCJ! Writing grants is no easy task. Have you thought about applying for the Specialized Secondary Program (SSP) grant for the California Dept. of Ed.? You could use those funds to grow your recycling efforts and refurbishing club into an actual class and even into an academy. Several years ago, I co-wrote an SSP grant that helped the trajectory of the school's film club to become its first ever film class into what is now a media arts academy. The SSP grants go live during the summer, so you've got time to plan.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
This one was actually easy (because I have looked into them in the past); fill-in-the-box type typing.

There are some silly reasons why I have chosen not to expand my recycling efforts beyond what I've done myself (but not petty from my end, also some unwritten rules). But those ideas have been swirling 'round my head for years, Maradona.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Tomorrow is the AP English Language exam. One class: nervous (but in a good way), one class: apathetic (in a hopefully-not-overconfident way), last class: loose (in a take-it-as-it-comes way). I hope they feel prepared; I hope they do well. I intend to play The Last Jedi for those students who aren't scheduled to take it (I may be watching it more closely than they will; two periods of repeat viewings! ).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Three AP Language classes is no small feat. What are your class size numbers?
Period 1 (37), Period 2 (38), Period 5 (27; there was some switching of classes due to a teacher out on leave and I "traded" my 35-student period 6 for this class which had multiple substitutes the semester prior, but that meant I only had 4 months to prepare them for the exam). All AP trainers groan when teachers tell them their overloaded case loads; any data tells you that no more than about 25-30 in an accelerated-type class as these leads to better results and more honest (and timely) feedback.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Today, I intend to finish up my 16th school year as a paid full-time teacher! I have about 1/2 of my last period's final exams to grade, letter grades to record and submit, classroom to "put away" (keep items off the walls I don't want to "depart," store other things inside the drawers and shelves), final recycling numbers compiled. Hooray!

[edit] Was effective but not completely proficient in my goals. I will need to return tomorrow, but it shouldn't take too long to get stuff put away.

Last edited:

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Congratulations, BCJ! I've got eight more school days left before this year ends for me - for just a weekend. Immediately following that weekend, I'm doing two weeks of a summer bridge program before a week of AP Research (my first AP class!!) course training in Long Beach at the end of June. Then, and only then, will my summer actually begin.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Congratulations, BCJ! I've got eight more school days left before this year ends for me - for just a weekend. Immediately following that weekend, I'm doing two weeks of a summer bridge program before a week of AP Research (my first AP class!!) course training in Long Beach at the end of June. Then, and only then, will my summer actually begin.
When they first floated the AP Seminar/Research courses at my school site a few years back, I really liked the descriptions; just didn't work out for me. I am sure you'll love them, as well as the students who enroll!

Reactions: Maradona
Still have 15 school days left, all with children (the last 3 half days).

On Thursday a teacher next door to me measured her room at 88 degrees. Mine is similar to hers and needless to say there wasn't much work completed that day.

Year 13 is almost in the books, and I am looking forward to a little R and R.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Today was the first day of the five day AP Summer Institute workshop program where I'm learning about the AP Research course. I'm starting to feel the long year weigh on me. Once the weekend hits, I only have few meetings in July and I'm pretty much able to relax until the second week of August.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Well, with some last-minute staff changes, my own class schedule MIGHT be finalized... 4 calendar days before students arrive: but now I will have 4 AP periods (online, I see 38, 37 twice, & 36 students on my roster), plus one single period of college prep juniors ("only" 30 in that one). We are awaiting a hire for the department, but we are still really 2 full teachers below (would have manageable class loads) what we need.

On the bright side, depending on how you look at my AP numbers, they either increased or went down from last year, about 2% each way, which is still a fairly stable result.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Those are massive numbers for an AP course. I've got 26 in my lone AP Research section. Upper 30s for the rest of my day: 11th Grade English (3 periods), Journalism (1 period), Film (1 period) for a total of 6 periods in the 2018-19 school year that will begin for me a week from tomorrow. Year 18 should be busy.