Teachers

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
That same "HSH" phrase stood out to me, too Maradona.
I wondered about the August school year start as well.
Next week begins our "Phase III," where the previous two Phases were transitional, with any work assigned as optional to include in a gradebook (that has been an issue); this is when work is still expected for just essential skills or material covered. Trying to motivate could be a problem (or, even a non-issue too); I still have "attended" virtual parent meetings over the past weeks.
And AP's changes are vastly different.
Wow, wow.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
And, sure enough, two days ago our superintendent announced that schools will be closed until fall semester. He also added that no students would fail during this semester. We already had low attendance as it was. I can't imagine what we will have now...other than a lack of accountability.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
And, sure enough, two days ago our superintendent announced that schools will be closed until fall semester. He also added that no students would fail during this semester. We already had low attendance as it was. I can't imagine what we will have now...other than a lack of accountability.
I have been notified of about 4 "meetings" with parent/student/case carrier/counselor/etc. during this period, but only 1 that occurred when and how it was supposed to. In emails, we were told that all-staff meetings would still happen; I cannot fathom a virtual-conference experience with 120+ people when actual input is allowed (a couple weeks ago, we had a district conference where all 700+ were muted to hear and see the info.). Let's just say, I haven't been sleeping too soundly lately.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Thanks to the LAUSD/UTLA policy of everyone passing and grades being locked at pre-lockdown levels, I received the first of what may turn out to be many "Why should I do anything" emails from a student. My online attendance has been dismal - less than 50% in my best class and less than 20% in my other courses. It's incredible and that is just within days of the announcement from the superintendent. What will attendance be like next week or next month? Like most other people in the various sectors of life, I have to adjust to this new normal and find a way to reach as many students as I can.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Our grade is an equation that combines some official grades, so there is a potential for improving grades as a motivation. And, the AP exam will still be administered (online, 45:00 time), so those kids care about that. But that's about it.

BTW, the mute setting was used for our Zoom staff meeting (I was at the school about 3/4 hour early with its stronger network bandwidth, but STILL was late by about 5 minutes with stoopid log-in shenanigans), and it was over in less than the same amount of time I arrived at the campus. Hmm. But it was nice to see tiny boxes of people I know and hear some of their voices upon sign-out at the end.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
And the grading ridiculousness continues - now we are being told that issuing D grades is also discouraged (fails were outlawed within the past couple of weeks). The district handed out guidelines that had to be followed before issuing a D grade that is super cumbersome. In order to issue a D, we have to submit documentation that we made multiple contacts with the student's family, made reports about their lack of progress to their counselor, and made an additional report to our assigned administrator indicating that we have performed all the previous steps and partnered with the support support services to remedy the potential D. Professional discretion based on student performance is now insufficient for Dee-ing students. All students with Ds are reportedly going to be automatically enrolled into summer (online) school - the kids can manually unenroll themselves, so that's not much of a consequence. I wonder how much lower the grading standards can drop when, at this rate, most grades are going up.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Well, we got our buncha-emails and cut-off-because-phone-messages-shouldn't-be-that-long today. We start online for day 1 (first week of August, as expected), then 2 days of on-campus (maybe?) rotated schedules. After that, we have twice-a-week (no Mondays) in-class instruction. Oh, and we're using a new online platform (sign up for your training soon!) to start the year. And we need to get some of our loaned electronics and textbooks back from students before it all starts.

Oh. Boy.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Jedi Apprentice
Website
Visit site
Grading this past year was definitely going to be a challenge--the administrators in our district argued that even if a student was failing, they typically might have worked harder the last quarter to get their grade higher so that their final average to even out, so we were told basically to make sure that when we computed those final averages, to make sure no one got below a 65--even though the final quarter was pass/fail. So we had to retroactively raise grades from the 3rd quarter, to ensure that.

Heard something crazy for AP classes--that everyone passed? I don't teach secondary but that is what I heard. So colleges are going to have to award credit for every incoming freshman?

Next year is going to look like yours Bel-Cam, a mix of online and brick and mortar teaching. We were told one scenario is that we have no more than 13 students in our room and that they would be going for 3 instead of the customary 6 with 1/2 of our class coming in the a.m. and the rest in the p.m. That's assuming the virus stays where it is in N.Y. which is a big assumption. Strange times indeed.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Grading this past year was definitely going to be a challenge--the administrators in our district argued that even if a student was failing, they typically might have worked harder the last quarter to get their grade higher so that their final average to even out, so we were told basically to make sure that when we computed those final averages, to make sure no one got below a 65--even though the final quarter was pass/fail. So we had to retroactively raise grades from the 3rd quarter, to ensure that.

Heard something crazy for AP classes--that everyone passed? I don't teach secondary but that is what I heard. So colleges are going to have to award credit for every incoming freshman?

Next year is going to look like yours Bel-Cam, a mix of online and brick and mortar teaching. We were told one scenario is that we have no more than 13 students in our room and that they would be going for 3 instead of the customary 6 with 1/2 of our class coming in the a.m. and the rest in the p.m. That's assuming the virus stays where it is in N.Y. which is a big assumption. Strange times indeed.
Thankfully, we weren't given mandates about passing, but to be honest, if my kids showed effort during distance learning and were anywhere near a passing grade, well, you know...

I'm an AP teacher, and my subject (English Language & Composition) hasn't released scores yet (in about 2 more weeks from now). I hadn't heard about pass rates, so that may be a rumor.

Supposedly, we'll have 18 kids per class. Not sure HOW that'll happen. We now have a 3-week closure of indoor locations (restaurants, bars, museums, movie theaters [which never opened around here anyway], etc.) in SoCal; that's to help re-flatten the curve that never flattened here. If such bad trends continue, I wonder how that'll affect school having students on-campus by next month.

Stay safe out there, LBC!

Top Bottom