The Black Series 6" Wave 5: Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Jedi Luke, Sandtrooper v2

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
According to BigBadToyStore, the case assortment for wave 5 will include eight figures:

1x SW 6 Inch EP4 Chewbacca
2x SW 6 Inch EP5 Darth Vader
1x SW 6 Inch EP6 Luke Jedi
1x SW 6 Inch Sandtrooper
3x SW 6 Inch Boba Fett

This matches what was shown at Toy Fair. Presumably this will be the first wave with the taller boxes and blue accents replacing the orange. The Sandtrooper will have a black pauldron as opposed to the orange one seen in the first wave.

It's interesting that Boba is being shipped three to a case here, especially after he's coming back in wave 4. This sounds like it could lead to some overkill, but Boba has never pegwarmed in the 3 3/4" scale so I think it will be fine. He's definitely a figure that should appeal to non-collectors. I do think it's a good move to have two Vaders, at least.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Website
www.geocities.com
I also feel like at $20 a pop, 3x per case may lead to fatigue. And why a Sandtrooper over a Stormtrooper? Weird. Still, not their worst case in this line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Rebelscum posted a photo of the boxed figures in this wave as well as a closeup of Vader. This is the first imagery of the blue-accented boxes. Note that they've restarted the numbering system, and the Sandtrooper is #1 again. The taller boxes work well for Vader and Chewie but Luke looks bare and the Sandtrooper's accessories are positioned strangely. Vader's helmet doesn't look great here, but perhaps it's just the tray squishing it or something.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Website
www.geocities.com
Ugh, Chewbacca's paint is simple and his roaring face is over the top, and that helmet on Vader looks sad from its oversized eyes and squished helmet - there's a damn picture of the character RIGHT THERE next to him to contrast it. The lenses might have worked on an ANH Vader, but this is clearly ESB in every other way. And what's with Vader's left hand?

At least Luke looks good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
The case assortment I listed in the first post actually seems to be what is shipping to Walgreens stores, with the Boba figure being their exclusive prototype version. It also appears that some stores are getting only a few figures. Either way, I found Chewie and Luke at the corner of happy and healthy the other day but saw no sign of the others. Stores are also getting in their Agent Venom and Tyrion Lannister figures; in the latter's instance, I've seen him alongside Funko's other Game of Thrones figures and occasionally in displays.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Tyrion is a Walgreen's exclusive? Do they not have an obnoxious sticker like every other store? :)

(I saw some Tyrions with other GoT figures several days ago, but didn't realize he was a WG exclusive.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Tyrion is a Walgreen's exclusive? Do they not have an obnoxious sticker like every other store? :)

(I saw some Tyrions with other GoT figures several days ago, but didn't realize he was a WG exclusive.)
There's a little gold "EXCLUSIVE" sticker in the bottom right hand corner of the window.

There are three Tyrion figures so far, and all of them are from season/book two, so light spoilers might apply if you're not there yet: the wide release is his armor from the Battle of the Blackwater, with an axe; the SDCC '14 exclusive was the same figure's body with a newly sculpted scarred head and helmet; the Walgreens exclusive is his Hand of the King outfit with a knife. The packaging for all three is the same, aside from the stickers. Walgreens seems to only be carrying their exclusive, non-armored version.

I was impressed to see that WG has the GoT figures for three bucks cheaper than everyone else. It's a nice-looking line but I've had issues with stuck joints; Dany's elbow joint broke clean off, and when trying to heat up and loosen the Hound's knee, that split as well. This is Funko's first attempt at articulated action figures so clearly they have some learning to do.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Website
www.geocities.com
Funko has also been crashing and burning on the ReAction figures at TRU that I've seen. Lots of eyes mispainted, especially Wash from Firefly where I've seen his whole eyes and eyebrows printed way off on two separate figures.

jpins

Force Sensitive
I picked up the 6" Darth Vader, Chewie and prototype Boba Fett at Walgreen's today along with the Marvel Legends Agent Venom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
I went to eight or so more Walgreens in Manhattan today, all of which showed Boba in stock according to their website. Of course, none had them, and while a few had the peg space for 6" TBS, only one store had any figures – Luke (again) and the Sandtrooper, which I picked up.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Website
www.geocities.com
I've stopped by 3 more Walgreens that had them listed only to find no love, the last one having an employee who knew what I was talking about and said they were long sold out, the computer was straight up wrong - and she didn't seem like a scumbag scalper either. Until Walgreens can get more consistent, I'm going to give up on them entirely. But it saddens me that Hasbro has put all their eggs in that basket for now, they've essentially diverted the next wave of 6" from mass retail to Walgreens until they fill those orders.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Website
www.geocities.com
Found 6-inch Luke Jedi figure for $20 out the door at Frank & Son collectibles show, cheaper than retail technically. I chose from 3 figures, each with little problems in the paint, mostly the eyes. (They also had Vader for $30, I passed because each one had capes that were frayed and torn, one had a dislodged helmet, this bodes poorly.) The figure comes with his lightsaber and a second removable chest panel for his tunic with the upper right corner folded over - no cape, no cloak, no handcuffs.

So, this figure is very simple, there's nothing complicated, the sculpting isn't super fine or detailed but holds up as adequate for its needs. The hair is different from the first 2 Luke figures, and perhaps is a touch Bieberesque in its design - the swept-forward look even is sculpted onto the face. The belt is a separate piece that floats between the hips and mid-torso joint. The sculpting has wrinkles and textures for the costume, but they're more subtle than past Luke figures. The sculpt on the boots is so subtle that they don't end up shiny or clearly delineated from the pants. The limbs are a tad thin, especially the legs, but the figure doesn't seem woefully problematic for it. Actually, the tightness of the costume meant sculpting a more slight body than previous Lukes, and the big hair makes this seem like an oversized head or under-nourished body, but it's not too detrimental here.

The figure's facial paint is Hasbro basically stealing money out of your pocket. The painted face and eyes on the Luke X-wing figure was so good, the face had a well-applied paint to keep it looking realistic and not glossy, and its eyes were proportionally accurate. The second Luke, Luke Bespin, didn't get the painted face treatment so he had a semi-glossy face and his eyes were painted considerably larger, like 50% larger, giving it more of a toy look than a nice collectible. Now we have Luke Jedi, this is just 4 waves out from the first figure, and the eyes are HUGE, big moony saucers bordering on an anime character with almost no whites showing at all, it's like a giant toddler all wide-eyed and inquisitive; and of course it's dropped on a glossy plastic face (one enjoying entirely no nuance in the hair paint deco, it's like someone dropped pudding on his head).

The face ruins it for me, the expression is so neutral that there's little energy to be coaxed out with a pose, but those eyes make any possible pose just look ridiculous because it's attached to this wistful cow-eyed monster, begging to be given more attention or learn from the feet of a parent. The other two I saw had the eyes not looking as much upwards but instead left or right (each figure was different :rolleyes:, classic), all of which looked like little baby children. Ugh, Hasbro.

The figure's right hand is gloved in sculpt and hinged up and down, the right hand is nude and a little oversized with a forward-backward hinge instead, this is how Luke X-wing was but not Luke Bespin, and they really should have gone with Bespin's design for these hands given the source material. They avoided the trigger-finger design on both hands, which may or may not please you, I prefer it this way.

The mid-torso joint has swapped the ball-slide system for a simpler ball joint, so the range of motion is smaller and less expressive. The rest of the articulation is utterly standard operating procedure and the range of motion is fine although not outstanding. I'm not in love with the obviousness of the hip articulation sculpting which further highlights how out of touch this T-bar crotch design truly is in this series.

The lightsaber is Luke's ROTJ saber, it's my favorite design and they only screwed it up by painting the emitter bronze too high up and using very sloppy black paint work on the neck rings, but they didn't use Obi-Wan's saber in place of it. The D-ring is accurately on the side with the activation box, so it takes a little fiddling to get it to sit on the belt hook - which they lengthened to accommodate, nicely played. The saber is a thin design and unfortunately they went with the rubbery plastic, so with the blade installed gravity will be its enemy. The removable chest panel works exactly as it should, no frills but no real mistakes, although watch for paint alignment on the gray folded portion of the swap-out panel was off with one of the samples I saw.

This figure gets about 2/3rds right and fumbles a bit with the rest, which is unfortunately becoming the norm for Hasbro. The likeness may not bother you as much as it does me because it's fairly passive, but the paint really is pathetic work, evolving over the course of 3 seasons from fine quality to cheap knockoff toy quality. Considering the simplicity of the deco and sculpting, the lack of extra accessories feels like yet another ripoff for the overpriced line. I will give this figure a C grade but you could adjust half a score up or down depending on what things matter most.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Website
www.sirstevesguide.com
I have not found these as I have not been in the mood or with the gas funds to scour Walgreens, - and I learned that one has a stocking day of Tuesday, and I am not around that area on Tuesday.

That being said, I have not seen the figures in person, other than at Comic Con.

I wanted Luke to have the vest (possibly removeable) and the Jedi cloak.

I suggested it to Jeff (the guy now in charge) at Comic Con and he thought it was a good idea for a re-issue, but it seemed like that had just occurred to him.

*Sigh*

I want Darryl back! Now!

We should start an OCCUPY HASBRO movement. I think we can rig the Darth Vader role-play masks to filter tear gas...

Darth Metalmute

Jedi Apprentice
Website
Visit site
I picked up Chewie and Vader at Target today for 18.99.

Vader is really nice, but not really pose-able. His left hand isn't built to hold a lightsaber. No second hand in the box. The helmet comes off too easy and the one I got has a loose leg. He kind of looks fat, but I think that's because there is so much cape.

IMG_2229.jpg IMG_5400.jpg IMG_2406.jpg

Sorry about the mess with the white background. I am at the point where I have too many toys at my office now. lol

Darth Metalmute

Jedi Apprentice
Website
Visit site
So Chewie.... What to say about Chewie... yeah...
IMG_6062.jpg IMG_8907.jpg

So he's very hard to pose, the gun falls apart every time you try to put it in his hands (which is almost impossible), he doesn't move naturally, his pouch falls off his arm, etc...

he's a disappointment to say the least. I might take him back, but I don't think they'll do better unless they use a fur substance.

Top Bottom