The Galactic Files

Apr 28, 2013
Even though I'll be buying a complete basic set from a fellow collector in a few weeks, I still like to get a few packs from the store.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Closest I was able to do with that was to also get a complete set, but I bought a few (think it was 3 or 4) unopened packs, too. Those packs netted me a few magenta and blue parallels, and a couple extra subset (Connections, Influences) cards.

Apr 28, 2013
My club had its yearly fundraising auction over the weekend. The guy who I've bought sets of cards from didn't have any with him, but he did donate a basic set and the subsets for the auction. So guess who got both for a sweet price??? This guy!!!!

The numbering is confusing. Like the artwork on the front but thought there were some that were almost too similar. Haven't read all of the cards. Ran out of sleeves for them.

Apr 28, 2013
Picked up the latest Non-Sports Update at the comic shop over the weekend just for the Galactic Files 2 promo card. It's of Vader. Have to see the rest of the set to see if it's a true promo card or what.

Since GF #1 was in the store, I'm hoping #2 will, also. If not, I won't be surprised.

Apr 28, 2013
The street release date was July 31, but I haven't seen anything at the retail and hobby stores. My area's big comic shop doesn't carry that many trading cards anymore.

The base sets, subsets, sketch cards, medallion cards, etc... are on ebay.

Getting a little tired of these red and blue chase cards. I'm not a completist (at least anymore) but it's getting a little out of hand. Just give me a basic set of trading cards.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I consider them "chase cards" in that they (supposedly) have additional value; I don't seek them out, but it's nice to snag one (blue snag?) in a pack. But they just seem like a silver/grey IG-88 "variant" level to me.

I saw that release date online, but have never seen them nowheres. :(

Apr 28, 2013
Same here. Did a mini-toy run this morning and checked several Targets, and nada.

The big card collector in the club is bound to have basic sets for sale here soon.

Apr 28, 2013
The big flea market was this weekend. One vendor had the GF2 for sale, $5.50 a pack. I was tempted...for two seconds but couldn't bring myself to cough up five bucks for a back.

I did handle a pack. Nice and heavy.

Apr 28, 2013
Starting to think these won't be at retail.
These aren't coming to retail. And neither is the set slated for November.

But I'm happy to say I'm now the proud owner of a complete GF 2 set. My club had its annual fall festival over the weekend, and the club's big card collector has sets for sale. Paid a little more than I'd like but I have them. Been so busy that I haven't had the chance to look through them all.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I've been checking out some of the card backs. The good: stats for Han in Carbonite card, learning that Gen. Mcquarrie's first name was Pharl. The odd: stats for Luke and Leia babies' cards, too much italics on one card, giving Palpatine a 1 level Force Power stat, not putting similar parts of the films (or characters) next to each other in the card order. The bad: some cards having the same card # and picture on the "check these other cards" bottom.

It's not bad, but apparently EVERY SINGLE STAR WARS CHARACTER SEEN ON FILM will be featured in this series, I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Here's why you should get this series: cards #552, 555, and 557. These feature, in order: Jaxxon, Noa Briqualon, and Teek. But here's why El Chuxter will NOT get card #557: on their scale of 10, Teek's speed is a mere 7. :confused:

There are some interesting EU characters featured in this, too.

Apr 28, 2013
I've been checking out some of the card backs. The good: stats for Han in Carbonite card, learning that Gen. Mcquarrie's first name was Pharl. The odd: stats for Luke and Leia babies' cards, too much italics on one card, giving Palpatine a 1 level Force Power stat, not putting similar parts of the films (or characters) next to each other in the card order. The bad: some cards having the same card # and picture on the "check these other cards" bottom.
And you get Bob, aka Rebel fleet trooper #11 in the opening scene of ANH's card. : p

Bought the latest Insider with the promo cards. I might wait a bit longer before picking up a second one.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I finished reading all the card backs of this series. I realized that it seems like the cards from the Clue board game: people, places, weapons. I just wish they'd either use larger font or put in more information; those gaps (some fairly large) on the back simply scream for filling them in. Like, a different small photo, perhaps?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I found out, when checking the cards section at Target yesterday, that there's another new set: Galactic Files: Reborn. They look nice, but with 200 cards (down from the 300+ of the previous), I think I may go a different route and just pick up a couple packs for random cards, then find the subsets (Quotes, Vehicles, Galactic Moments, etc.?) online (or perhaps just look for the individual cards from R1 and TFA from auctions).

Apr 28, 2013
First I'd heard of them. Not surprised since Topps has to give us something until TLJ series comes out in December.