The Official Daily Show/Colbert Report Thread!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
In his pre-Moment of Zen monologue, JS listed the three guests before this coming Thursday's last episode: Louie CK, Amy Schumer, Denis Leary. I wonder if the new version of the Daily Show will begin the week after, or if they'll take some time to prep for it.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I think what has driven me crazy this week is how the Amy Schumer and Denis Leary interviews were such bland, standard pap. Louis CK's interview at least felt like they were getting at something personal, but the interviews have always ruined the show for me.

Sadly, having read some quotes from Stewart as to why he's leaving, it feels depressing: the world IS getting worse and it's draining, that's why I stopped regularly watching the show a few years ago, so I can't even fault him for going.

I definitely won't be watching the new version.

End of an era.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I think what has driven me crazy this week is how the Amy Schumer and Denis Leary interviews were such bland, standard pap. Louis CK's interview at least felt like they were getting at something personal, but the interviews have always ruined the show for me.

Sadly, having read some quotes from Stewart as to why he's leaving, it feels depressing: the world IS getting worse and it's draining, that's why I stopped regularly watching the show a few years ago, so I can't even fault him for going.

I definitely won't be watching the new version.

End of an era.
I agree with you about this week's guests.

Some nights, watching the show made the carp going on in our little spinning rock in space tolerable for me, while other times it revealed the ugliness and despair there is. I get that; with he and his staff having to view and dissect all that even more closely? :(

I will watch the new one, just like I have done with The Nightly Show. No doubt it'll be different and doubtfully will get close to this version.

As for the final show: very nice, well put together. I expected to see people come back. Two members I noticed missing were Beth Littleford and Brian Unger. Chuckled at all the Arby's stuff. Really liked the "tour" through the behind-the-scenes to see everyone who worked on it; also, all the politicos and "famous" people's goodbyes (especially McCain and puppet; I wanted Lindsey Graham to do a "Jon" voice, though). Can't believe I didn't see the musical guest coming. I wondered if Jon was really going to say something at the very end, then decided that just a walk-off "thank you" was enough.

TV's info button shows next week is all recent reruns; I wonder how long the new staff will take to start their first episode.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
The Arby's stuff was really funny, and the Goodfellas tour was fun. Craig Kilborn's cameo was another good one.

Why schedule a 52-minute wrap show and then run 8 minutes over with The Boss? Why not just schedule the hour?

Trevor Noah's run doesn't start until Sept 28th. He seems ridiculously youth-oriented and smug, I wonder if he'll flame out a la Craig Kilborn.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
TSDWTN is back, after the holiday break. Now Trevor stands and walks before the intro song plays.

It's getting a little played-out to me; he doesn't have the everyman-style that Jon had, but still often funny.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
It's out for blood, there's a lot of teeth in what she's saying. But it feels small, cramped, and almost like Tosh.0 in its narrower gaze. It doesn't feel like a true successor, but a flash in the pan cheapie attempt. Also, it's missing correspondents to give a second voice (one of the problems with The Nightly Show is its lack of a diverse voice even with correspondents, they all feel like a mouthpiece from the same person). It's not daily either, being a weekly show should mean really tearing in to a lot of events a la John Oliver, but this felt lesser-than.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Sam spent most of the first part of tonight's show on this weekend's terrible Orlando event, which interestingly, in that same city, also included their humorous look at a political gathering there earlier.