The Official Daily Show/Colbert Report Thread!

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I've been digging Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, and anything Last Week Tonight on Youtube is brilliant, but I still can't find interest in Trevor Noah, he's just smug and fratty - he'd have been great as a replacement for Craig Kilborn.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I've watched and enjoyed Stephen Colbert's Late Show off and on. But the revitalized energy this week, the refocus on politics, and the appearance of Jon Stewart and "Stephen Colbert" (plus The Word!) was fantastic and really made me miss the late-night landscape of a few years ago. Hopefully they can keep it going.

Full Frontal and Last Week Tonight are the best at carrying The Daily Show's spirit. I gave up on the Noah show and The Nightly Show, which can't seem to decide what it wants to be, and too often plays to the cheap, easy joke.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Not having HBO makes the convenience of Jon Oliver's show a bit harder to watch (I'm not a big online television watcher, due to the location where I live being a "hole" in reliable high speed Internet access :mad: ), and the uninterrupted style of just one speaker gets on me pretty quickly. What JO and SB say is fine, just the delivery bugs me.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Apparently, lawyers got involved when Stephen Colbert, the TCR character, appeared on TLSwSC. So Stephen had his identical cousin Stephen Colbert (different person: his wife is named Loraina, and not Loraine) instead.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore has been canceled. Seeing under 700k viewers a night for 2 years apparently wasn't enough, and Comedy Central unexpectedly pulled the plug this morning, giving them Thursday as the last day of production. I can't say I was surprised, the show's format never fully gelled, being a panel program just didn't work - the panelists and guests never got to spend enough time digging in to issues, that panel time watered down the show's singular voice, and I hate to be this way, but Wilmore is no Tavis Smiley. It's a shame, I really like Wilmore, he has the understanding to know how to play this audience, unlike The Daily Show's Trevor Noah, but Larry's show never got it right.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Of course, the show's title changed to The Nightly Show, and its premiere episode was tonight. Way too early to tell, and there's no way it can compare to TCR after just 30 minutes on, but I don't know how long it'll last. Maybe it was just first-time jitters; seemed too forced and hesitant to me.
Interesting what a year and a half or so makes. The show was starting to find its niche, but apparently niches don't get much ratings. I feel bad, but it wasn't completely unexpected (just an abrupt announcement :( ).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Watching some DVR'd shows from a few months ago, I came across two Late Shows: one, an "animated" Thanksgiving clip show; and two, when SC became the "guest" when various guest "hosts" interviewed him (Jon Stewart got the first half of the show, Neil DeGrasse Tyson/Charlamagne Tha God/Kerry Washington/Jake Tapper shared the latter half). Both were quite funny.