The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
After that first page, the TLJ novelization was just okay. I read both (also the junior novel) at the same time, but not at the same parts of the film. There are some extra scenes (see the SPOILER feature below, if you wish), but for the most part, they were kind of bland, sorry to say.

Luke's "weapon" is taken and stored by the Ahch-To caretakers at the end; that could answer the where's Luke's green saber? question.

Rose speaks to Finn after their ski-speeder crash kiss, about how when they first met, she was dragging him and now it's reversed.

Both books do a poor job of hiding the fact that "ghost Luke" isn't really there. And the mirror cave scene in both is very truncated and made less significant.

There is a little bit of info about the Unknown Regions and Palpatine's Contingency program; just enough to lead to some future book/comic/cartoon storyline, I think.

[edit] In watching the bonus deleted scenes features on the TLJ BluRay, several of those scenes were included in the novelization (both versions), often word-for-word in dialogue.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
I just finished TLJ novel this morning. Liked the fact there was a more development for some of the characters. I just have a feeling that we'll get something, a novel or a comic, that explains Snoke's background. We're yearning for it!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I read the TLJ Storybook today; it helps when it's under 130 pages and most of those pages are pictures. Brian Rood's artwork is awesome. It also includes some cut scenes it in; but it also glosses over several key scenes. And of course, the word "kill" never appears (often has "destroyed" instead, which, if kids understood connotation, would realize is worse than killing). It could make for a good bedtime read for those up to age 10, even.

Apr 28, 2013
I read the TLJ Storybook today; it helps when it's under 130 pages and most of those pages are pictures. Brian Rood's artwork is awesome. It also includes some cut scenes it in; but it also glosses over several key scenes. And of course, the word "kill" never appears (often has "destroyed" instead, which, if kids understood connotation, would realize is worse than killing). It could make for a good bedtime read for those up to age 10, even.
I will have to check it out.

Found a Rebels novel at the Dollar Tree in the last week. Novelization of three eps. Reading that now.

Other than a break last summer to read Dunkirk, been reading SW novels for about a year straight. Thought about taking a break but may at least continue until Solo arrives.

Apr 28, 2013
Finished the Shakespearan take on Revenge of the Sith. Liked how the Darth Plagueis tale unfolded.

Started Last Shot. Not too far in it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I'm waiting until after seeing Solo before reading LS, myself.

Finished the last in the Adventures in Wild Space series, The Rescue. Surprise! There's a rescue attempt. It's a Disney book, with children seeking their parents, and Grand Moff Tarkin is the villain. I'll let you figure out what happens. But, I liked this book the best of the 6-book run; often, YA SW series haven't gotten better throughout.

BTW, this was apparently my 1300th book read in my list (LISTS... :drool: ) making days!

[edit, part deux] I read the next Forces of Destiny: The Rey Chronicles. The tone of Maz's intros and interludes is just creepy weird. The 3-stories-in-one is far too easy, but again, I think I'm a tad out of their target audience.

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I really can't wait to get your opinion on Last Shot, BC.
I will use the Spoiler feature below, so as not to influence those who haven't read LS yet. It is nice to see some writers of color in the SW universe.
These are the books that make me so frustrated... the premise or the characters are so ripe for development and a story. But then it gets put to paper. The story of a galaxy-wide droid revolution, hybrid organic/droid creations, Han and Lando in their younger days; all seemed awesome. But the climax happens too quickly, in an interesting paradox by taking too long to get there. I missed the chapter numbers, and the movement back and forth between now and various pasts was not too hard to follow, but still awkward. I do not like the 21st century lingo (too much @ss, T-shirt, come to mind) and I have no idea why Taka's pronoun was always "they/them" when the character is an individual, as near as I could tell. Kaasha was a nice add, Peeka and her language often stole scenes, and some of the interactions between gang members were okay. I'd rank it a 5 of 10.

p.s. William Shakespeare's Jedi the Last is due out 7/10/18, verily.

Apr 28, 2013
I think I figured out how this spoiler thing works. :)

I have several issues with LS. First of all is the storyline jumping around. It happened too much. Should've started in the past and then worked to the present, but that's me.

The dialogue was horrible. As one reviewer said, it was like a FB or Twitter dialogue between the characters. Too modern and not the usual SW language. I kinda blame the writer. He's mostly a YA writer, and it showed.

And the capable, cocky Han we all know and love didn't show up until the third act. He was too wishy washy for most of the book. I know he has doubts about being a husband and father but compared to EU stuff it's not the same Han!

Overall, the idea of the droid uprising was good but getting to the actual event could've been shortened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2013
Nope, I didn't. Sorry to spoil it, guys.

[edit] To post a Spoiler, click to post, look for the "... and pull-down arrow" icon along the bar, choose Spoiler and type inside the brackets part where the cursor is.
- B-CJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2013
Nope, I didn't. Sorry to spoil it, guys.

[edit] To post a Spoiler, click to post, look for the "... and pull-down arrow" icon along the bar, choose Spoiler and type inside the brackets part where the cursor is.
- B-CJ
It did work! It did!!

Told my 20-year-old niece about the Shakespeare TLJ book. She was excited. She'll probably get that as a Christmas present from her favorite uncle...ME!!!!:D

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Haven't gotten to Last Shot, but Most Wanted is great.

(The teen book, better than the adult one? Whaaaaaa? Oh, wait, that's normally the case.)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Haven't gotten to Last Shot, but Most Wanted is great.

(The teen book, better than the adult one? Whaaaaaa? Oh, wait, that's normally the case.)
I went to my dresser shelf to start reading MW, opened the book to page... 29?!? :eek: Anybody else get a "rare variant" edition like this? (I brought it back to that store; all of their copies were this way, so they had to re-order it).

I also picked up the SW Shakespeare Jedi The Last today, with what appears to be all its pages intact; I'll find out once I commence perusing it.

Apr 28, 2013
I went to my dresser shelf to start reading MW, opened the book to page... 29?!? :eek: Anybody else get a "rare variant" edition like this? (I brought it back to that store; all of their copies were this way, so they had to re-order it).

I also picked up the SW Shakespeare Jedi The Last today, with what appears to be all its pages intact; I'll find out once I commence perusing it.
I'll have to pick it up.

Years ago, I bought a book at the old Waldenbooks and in the middle of it was an extra/repeated chapter. I noticed it after I got home and returned it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Since I still can't read MW, I settled on The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear! by Tom Angleberger. There was a Lemony Snicket-vibe to the author's narration, humorous and 4th-wall-breaking. Chewie ends up on a dangerous planet to finish a job (Han's unable to be with him, but a girl, K2-SO [yep; THAT droid], and a bunch of tooka cats fill in instead). Action's okay, descriptions are good. Two names stood out to me (and to another Forumite in a different place): Lumpawaroo and the Gorax. Not bad overall; remember, it's a children's book, the drawings helped, too.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I'm "reading" (listening to the audiobook version) of Last Shot right now and I have to say that the author uses language and writes dialogue that feels somewhat out of place at times. This is a trend that has also started to bleed into some of the movies as well and usually just hits me wrong. I don't know, it could just be the delivery of the audiobook, or I may just be too stodgy.