The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I'm "reading" (listening to the audiobook version) of Last Shot right now and I have to say that the author uses language and writes dialogue that feels somewhat out of place at times. This is a trend that has also started to bleed into some of the movies as well and usually just hits me wrong. I don't know, it could just be the delivery of the audiobook, or I may just be too stodgy.
I agree with you, and that's been the trend since the Disney purchase. :( My gripe is that SW is not so "long time ago... far, far away" anymore.

Apr 28, 2013
I agree with you, and that's been the trend since the Disney purchase. :( My gripe is that SW is not so "long time ago... far, far away" anymore.
Glad to see others feel the same way about Last Shot as I do.

If I read it correct, the novelization for Solo comes out in September. In time for the DVD release???

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I think that's a new Disney tactic, too: don't have the book version out before the film. Okay, but that many months later?
Yeah, this started with the TFA novel being released the same day the film came out (where all prior novelizations had been out at least a month before the films). Then with TLJ, the books didn't come out for more than a month AFTER the film. Pushing it back to the DVD release almost makes me wonder if they're trying to see if the release of the book coincides with a decline in ticket sale for the film.... I guess it's also possible that the rumors about the extensive re-shooting are true and that it forced the author to go back and re-write a bunch of stuff once the final film was put together.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I went to my dresser shelf to start reading MW, opened the book to page... 29?!? :eek: Anybody else get a "rare variant" edition like this? (I brought it back to that store; all of their copies were this way, so they had to re-order it).
Most Wanted was pretty good, once I was able to read all 300+ pages of it. Learned how Q'ira got her red blouse (spoiler: it was given to her), saw more about the underworlds of Corellia, maybe learned about Han's lucky dice. It doesn't spoil the Solo movie at all, but it helps to read it after seeing it, IMHO.

One question that hasn't ever been written about so far, IIRC: why does Han hate droids so much in E4-6? He seems to be quite polite and respectful to most droids in this book, and in the movie.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
According to Wookieepedia, there's the beginning part in 13 BBY and then the rest of the film is in 10 BBY.

What I meant was that the in Han flashback scenes in LS, he's mostly being attacked by the "mind-controlled" droids.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Timothy Zahn (ever heard of him?) wrote another book, Thrawn: Alliances, about the most enduring SW character he created. Spoilers below, but I will say that I liked it.
This is a flashback book: "now" seems to be pre-ANH in the Rebels era; "then" is Clone Wars era. In both times, Thrawn works with either Anakin or Vader; Vader calls "The Jedi" his former self, and Thrawn figures out they are the same individuals. Zahn does a great job of contrasting the leadership styles of Thrawn and Vader.
I almost thought Zahn was going to re-insert Spaarti [sp?] cloning chambers or the Outbound Flight details he used in the ol' EU, but alas I was mistaken.
Padme as Anakin's "associate" is another truth Thrawn figures out.
Odd that Zahn has Vader frown, straighten his shoulders, grit his teeth.
Thrawn mentioned that some character could check oxygen usage or food amounts to determine the actual number of people in an area, instead of just a guess.
Some Chiss girls (apparently young females show aptitude) are Force-sensitive and can navigate ships through difficult hyperspace routes. Vader himself does this at one point in the story.
We might know who that "threat" is from the Unknown Regions (the name is Grysk, and Thrawn tries to predict their fighting tactics), but not too much.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Picked up Solo today.
I wavered between giving this a 4 or a 5 on a 5-point scale; I decided to go with the 5. This impressed me more than the Lando/Solo novel, and filled in some gaps I wasn't aware even existed when watching the film. L3 gets more coverage, Qi'ra [sp?] is fleshed out more, and it's even funnier than the film was. You will enjoy it!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I read the Junior Novel of Solo, written by Joe Schreiber. It had the "exclusive scenes" line on the cover (nothing really significant, though), but not the fun and exciting tone of the film. Chapters tried to end on a surprise, but knowing the film's plot, that didn't work too well. I was surprised that the color photos had Enfys Nest unmasked, no Val but Dryden was shown too. Overall, for a YA book, it was only okay.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Weird; reply feature seemed different (got an error message once before)

Lando's Luck, a YA book by Justina Ireland, really captured the Lando/L3 dynamic from the Solo film. The story (Lando is sort of tricked into a mercy mission while trying to pay off some debts and win at sabaac) was decent, but the narration was better than I expected for a YA book; dialogue met my expectations, though (pretty good, but not spectacular).

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
I wavered between giving this a 4 or a 5 on a 5-point scale; I decided to go with the 5. This impressed me more than the Lando/Solo novel, and filled in some gaps I wasn't aware even existed when watching the film. L3 gets more coverage, Qi'ra [sp?] is fleshed out more, and it's even funnier than the film was. You will enjoy it!
Thoroughly enjoyed Solo. Added new insight and more character development.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
One of those journal-type books, Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter, by Jason Fry. Typical, and okay, except for one issue with the SW universe, and considering that Carrie Fisher's last film was TLJ, it's unfair. Spoiler below.

Carrie Fisher lamented her clothing issues in ANH by saying that there isn't underwear in space (or something like that). But, on a page that looks like a list of laundry rules and items (for the scene on Snoke's Super-Duper-Uber Star Destroyer with the iron droid), it has both "Brassiere" and "Underwear." Way to diss the Princess! :(

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
Been reading Leia. Good background to teen Leia.

I noticed there's a new Solo tie-in called Tales from Vandor. It's written like the Rose Tico book. Looks interesting. Will pick up shortly.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Amt Radcliffe's Women of the Galaxy is a nice "essential guide" to, um, female SW characters. It covers those who have been featured in the new EU (no 1970s-80s Marvel ladies like Lumiya or Zeltrons, no young nor junior Jedi knights, New Republic heroes or villains like Daala, Iella, Isard; etc.), including SW Resistance & Solo Story; with at least one page of artwork each. Some gems: Kneesa, L3-37, and TLJ & TFA aliens.

Reactions: darthshanakin

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
Amt Radcliffe's Women of the Galaxy is a nice "essential guide" to, um, female SW characters. It covers those who have been featured in the new EU (no 1970s-80s Marvel ladies like Lumiya or Zeltrons, no young nor junior Jedi knights, New Republic heroes or villains like Daala, Iella, Isard; etc.), including SW Resistance & Solo Story; with at least one page of artwork each. Some gems: Kneesa, L3-37, and TLJ & TFA aliens.
I'll have to check it out.

Finished Leia. Good insight into Holdo.

Read Tales from Vandor. Quick, easy read.

Reading Battlefront: Twilight Company now.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I could only get through the first few pages (slow loading books site again) or so, but I'll try adding to this list (LISTS... :drool: ) when I can. [edit: and now I have]

11/5/19: Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge Cookbook (hardcover) by Insight Editions
10/15/19: Star Wars Jediography (hardcover) by Marc Sumerak
10/8/19: Ultimate Star Wars New Edition: The Definitive Guide to the Star Wars Universe (hardcover) by Tricia Barr, Adam Bray, Cole Horton
10/8/19: The Concept Art of Ralph McQuarrie Mini Book (hardcover) by Insight Editions
10/8/19: The Complete Marvel Comics Covers Mini Book, Vol. 1 (hardcover) by Insight Editions
10/1/19: The Art of Star Wars Rebels (hardcover) by Dan Wallace
10/1/19: Be More Leia (hardcover) by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff
10/1/19: Be More Lando (hardcover) by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff
10/1/19: Star Wars: 39-Button Sound: Battles (Interactive Book) by Editors of Studio Fun International [plus other 10-button books: Villains, Droids]
9/24/19: Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition (hardcover) by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff
9/3/19: Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (hardcover) by Delilah S. Dawson
9/3/19: Jedi Academy #8 (hardcover) by Amy Ignatow, Jarrett J. Krosoczka
7/23/19: Thrawn: Treason (hardcover) by Timothy Zahn
7/16/19: Star Wars Who's Who in the Galaxy (hardcover) by Ella Patric
7/2/19: Starships, Speeders & Space Stations (hardcover) by Little Golden Books
6/18/19: Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation (trade paperback) by Robbie Thompson (Text by), Leonard Kirk (Illustrator)
6/11/19: Alphabet Squadron (hardcover) by Alexander Freed
6/4/19: Star Wars C-3PO Does NOT Like Sand! [A Droid Tales Book] (hardcover) by Caitlin Kennedy, Brian Kesinger (Illustrator)
4/30/19: The Military Science of Star Wars (paperback) by George Beahm
4/16/19: Industrial Light & Magic Presents: Making Solo: A Star Wars Story (hardcover) by Rob Bredow, Ron Howard (Foreword by)
4/16/19: Master & Apprentice (hardcover) by Claudia Gray
4/2/19: Star Wars Icons: Han Solo (hardcover) by Gina McIntyre
3/26/19: Revenge of the Sis Jedi Academy Series (hardcover) by Jarrett J. Krosoczka, Amy Ignatow
3/19/19: Star Wars: An Obi-Wan & Anakin Adventure [Choose Your Destiny Series #3] (paperback) by Cavan Scott, Elsa Charretier (Illustrator)
3/5/19: Queen’s Shadow (hardcover) by E.K. Johnston
2/26/19: Thrawn: Alliances (paperback) by Timothy Zahn
2/15/19: Star Wars: Pirate's Price [Flight of the Falcon Series (hardcover) by Lou Anders, Annie Wu (Illustrator)

Last edited: