data-csrf="1558324259,372643b87864836fd6f14a85ef9cfa01" The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread | The Force Guide

The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
9/24/19: Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition (hardcover) by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff

I have to go on a rant for just a second. I bought the latest character encyclopedia, which included Solo characters, as a Christmas present to myself. So, less than a year later, a new, super duper and improved version is coming out? What's up with that Disney?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
9/24/19: Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition (hardcover) by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff

I have to go on a rant for just a second. I bought the latest character encyclopedia, which included Solo characters, as a Christmas present to myself. So, less than a year later, a new, super duper and improved version is coming out? What's up with that Disney?
I have stopped buying some books in the Disney era for two reasons: the same one you just mentioned, OC; and the glut of product for so many audiences and styles (I doubt there will be ANY issues with continuity, since there IS none at all) that come out so often. Gotta say this for the EU era: they at least tried to make it fit together, even if it was way out there.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I bought this because it was a SW book, and I had a coupon: Pirate’s Price by Lou Anders. It's a tale (well, series of tales) told by Hondo Ohnaka, a normally-annoying character in the cartoons. But he was funny as a narrator, reveling in his times trying to steal the Millennium Falcon. It actually worked as a plot device. But in true Disney fashion, it has to bring in a product/service to shill: so the characters and locales in the soon-to-open SW Galaxy's Edge appear. Very transparent "surprises" throughout, but still a fun read.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Queen's Shadow by E. K. Johnston (who wrote the Ahsoka book) was very good. The title has multiple meanings (the obvious: it includes Amidala's handmaidens; not so obvious: senator and person Padme Amidala is in her own shadow as former queen), there is so much fashion description that is doesn't get overwhelming somehow, and while the action isn't too frequent it works well overall. The best part is the beginnings of the first and last paragraphs of chapters first and last; I had to smile while reading both.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
told by Hondo Ohnaka, a normally-annoying character in the cartoons.
WHAT?!?

You are dead to me. I bid you good day, sir!

On a more serious note, is there an actual list of all the E-nU? It seems like every week I'm finding out about some new book or comic from a year earlier that just slipped by me.

Also, totally unrelated, I've seen multiple SW books show up dirt cheap lately at Dollar Tree and Dollar General.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
WHAT?!?

You are dead to me. I bid you good day, sir!

On a more serious note, is there an actual list of all the E-nU? It seems like every week I'm finding out about some new book or comic from a year earlier that just slipped by me.

Also, totally unrelated, I've seen multiple SW books show up dirt cheap lately at Dollar Tree and Dollar General.
Should I have said "often-annoying" instead? :p

I have been posting what is due out new in this thread, but there hasn't been a list (LISTS... :drool: ) I've seen yet. I miss the Dramatis Personae for that book and the updated timeline of books inside each book.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I had given up on the Jedi Academy series, as it got too kidsy (even for a kids book with drawn [poorly, simply] pictures), but the 7th (?!?) book, Revenge of the Sis, starring the main character Victor's sister Christine Starspeeder, was pretty good. It had a good plot with a (fairly obvious) surprise mystery to solve and decent humor and characterization.

p.s. This was my 400th SW book read!

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
The finale of Queen's Shadow better get some follow-up.

As an aside, I'm not a prude, but explicit sex--and by that I don't mean X-rated, but situations in where it's absolutely definitive that two characters reenacted scenes from Boogie Nights-- always weird me out in Star Wars books and YA books. In YA Star Wars books, it borders on creepy. I guess at least I now know Sabé did not die a virgin, if that knowledge ever proves important.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
I had the chance to buy the Celebration exclusive of Master and Apprentice (special cover, autographed, collectible pin and bag) but I couldn't see spending $45 on a book I can pick up at Target or WM for $22.

Attended the authors' panel at Celebration. Deliah Dawson spoke about her Galaxy's Edge book coming out later this summer. Sounds interesting. Just hope it's better than Phasma.

Did finally meet Timothy Zahn face to face. Got him to sign an early edition of Heir to the Empire for me.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Good God, Master & Apprentice is one of the most important new canon books.

I think the timeline with Dooku might contradict AOTC, but I don't care. This story is better.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I just finished it. (I know; I just don't have as much reading time as I'd like.)

Claudia Gray is without question among the upper echelons of Star Wars writers. There's so much here: great new characters, plenty of Qui-Gon greatness, a worthy replacement in new canon for the incredible Jedi Apprentice series, THE prophecy that the entire Prequel Trilogy rests upon, hints that Dooku was going extremely dark long before he encountered any Sith, a cameo by someone who's still alive by the time of TLJ, and, holy snotballs, a possible prophecy about Palpatine in TROS!!

Read it. Now.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I am about 90 pages from finishing M&A, but I haven't had the joy that Chux felt about reading it. Maybe I need to get through the whole thing to make a true decision. It's pretty good, but not great. My page #66 has a mark on it that looks like it wasn't just in this copy: I ORDER you to tell me what your #66 looks like!

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I am about 90 pages from finishing M&A, but I haven't had the joy that Chux felt about reading it. Maybe I need to get through the whole thing to make a true decision. It's pretty good, but not great. My page #66 has a mark on it that looks like it wasn't just in this copy: I ORDER you to tell me what your #66 looks like!
I finished this one about a week ago and it struck me as a good example of an issue I have with a lot of the current Star Wars media; the vocabulary and diction of the characters. The first six films and the old EU all had an almost "old fashioned" style of dialogue which the ongoing trilogy seems to have completely abandoned ("Droid, please.") for some reason. I guess, in my head, I chalked this up to the changing times in a galaxy far far away. However, when a story is set before even the prequel era and has a character like Rael who talks about "gettin' laid" it just sounds wildly out of place. Maybe that was a stylistic decision, to emphasize Rael's position as an outsider amongst the Jedi, but it really just rips me out of the story.

I also felt like the whole thing with the offer to Qui-Gon of a seat on the council contradicted dialogue from TPM. After Anakin is presented to the council for consideration, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon have a discussion together on a balcony. Obi-Wan says "Master, you could be sitting on the Council by now if you would just follow the code." This book would make that line into a mistake; Qui-Gon would be on the council if he had accepted the offer. He rejected it to continue training Obi-Wan and since at the time of TPM, Qui-Gon is still training Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon wouldn't be on the council anyway. This novel makes it clear that Qui-Gon is not on the council because he chose not to be, not because he doesn't follow the code.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I'll use the spoiler feature, too. Overall, it was enjoyable: on a scale of 3720, I'd give it a 3085.

To me, Rael was basically an attempt to bring back Kyp Durron (an outsider with powers who knows the world from the lowest levels, connected to a well-known character). The movie characterizations of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Dooku are only somewhat consistent. I guessed the villain, sort of, but I did like the way Cady was revealed as such. The orange lightsaber crystal concept was a potential for greater things, but was quickly passed over.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I finally got around to finishing the first of the Choose Your Destiny books: A Han & Chewie Adventure, by Cavan Scott. I have always loved Choose Your Own Adventure-type books (although, the SW ones over the years have been only so-so), and this one was decent. Of course, the relationship between Chewbacca and Solo makes for fun and excitement. But thinking that even on a distant planet, someone wouldn't know what a Hutt looks like and would be fooled if human Han called himself that? The Falcon gets severely damaged many times (spoiler alert: these are often on pages that have THE END at the bottom). The next two books are Luke & Leia, and Obi-Wan & Anakin adventures.