The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Apparently, these recent Thrawn novels are being considered a trilogy. The one that came out this week is reviewed below. Also, this is my 501st book read over the past 16 summers; SW numerology!
Much as I hate to say it, this Zahn novel was just simply okay. There are several good parts, mainly towards the end (a cape saves the day!, Thrawn defeats an opponent from the bridge of that Imperial's own Star Destroyer, that species to fear from "out there" [that once was the Yuzzan Vong, but I guess not anymore] called the Grysks has impressive technology and aggressive tactics, Thrawn uses someone's music as art to analyze the tendencies), but overall it just dragged as a plot. Thrawn knows EVERYTHING, and aside from the "one-of-these-days-that'll-bite-you" warning given to him at the end it's almost unrealistic. No real "surprises" for me. It leads right into the last episodes of the Rebels TV show.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
It's not fiction, but Dan Golding's SW After Lucas covers the author's own views on the direction in the post-Disney purchase of the franchise, with plenty of sources cited. And bring your thesaurus! (nice to see that one's lexicon is not simply superfluous but germane to critical analysis and research). He thinks more highly of TFA than TLJ as a nostalgic film, but it's basically objective in point of view, most of the time.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
More books a-comin' soon!

3/17/20: Art of SW Rebels (Daniel Wallace, hardcover)
2/18/20: SW Adventures Vol. 8 (Delilah S. Dawson, paperback)
12/20/19: Rise of Skywalker Galactic Guide (Matt Jones, hardcover)
12/20/19: Art of Rise of Skywalker (Phil Szostak, hardcover)
12/17/19: Rise of Skywalker: The Galaxy Needs You (Caitlin Kennedy, hardcover)
12/3/19: The Galactic Explorer's Guide (Jason Fry, hardcover)
11/26/19: Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu (Cole Horton, hardcover)
11/26/19: Collecting A Galaxy: The Art of Sideshow Collectibles (Sideshow Collectibles, hardcover)
11/19/19: Art of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Lucasfilm Ltd.)
11/19/19: The Ultimate Guide to Vintage Star Wars Action Figures 1977-1985 (Mark Bellomo, hardcover)
11/19/19: Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance (Ethan Sacks, paperback)
11/19/19: Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Force Collector (Kevin Shinick, hardcover)
11/5/19: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (Chelsea Monroe-Cassel/Marc Sumerak, hardcover)
11/5/19: Star Wars Artisan Edition [1977 comic] (Roy Thomas/Howard Chaykin: Illustrator)
11/5/19: A Long Time Ago in a Cutting Room Far, Far Away: My Fifty Years Editing Hollywood Hits-Star Wars, Carrie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Mission: Impossible, and More (Paul Hirsch, hardcover)
11/5/19: A Galaxy of Collectibles: Movie Props, Original Art, Rarities, Classic Toys (Eric Bradley, hardcover)
11/5/19: Resistance Reborn Journey to SW: The Rise of Skywalker (Rebecca Roanhorse, hardcover)
11/5/19: SW Dollar Origami (Editors of Thunder Bay Press, “other” format?)
10/29/19: Star Wars Meet the Heroes and Villains Boxset (DK, hardcover)
10/22/19: SW: The Ultimate Pop-Up Galaxy (Matthew Reinhart, hardcover)
10/22/19: SW: Galaxy's Edge (Ethan Sacks/Will Sliney: Illustrator, trade paperback)
10/22/19: Return of the Jedi Graphic Novel Adaptation (Alessandro Ferrari)
10/15/19: A Merry Sithmas Pop-Up Book (Insight Editions, hardcover)
10/15/19: SW: Tie Fighter (Jody Houser/Roge Antonio: Illustrator, trade paperback)
10/8/19: The Concept Art of Ralph McQuarrie Mini Book (Insight Editions, hardcover)
10/4/19: Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker A Finn & Poe Adventure (Cavan Scott, paperback)
10/4/19: Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition: The Definitive Guide to the Star Wars Universe (Adam Bray, Cole Horton, Tricia Barr, Ryder Windham)
10/4/19: Journey to The Rise of Skywalker: Spark of the Resistance (Justina Ireland, hardcover)
10/1/19: Dooku: Jedi Lost (Cavan Scott hardcover)
10/1/19: SW Quote Cards (Editors of Thunder Bay Press, paperback)
10/1/19: The Skywalker Saga (Delilah S. Dawson/Brian Rood: Illustrator, hardcover)
10/1/19: SW Creatures Big & Small (Calliope Glass/Caitlin Kennedy/Katie Cook: Illustrator, hardcover)
10/1/19: Be More Leia (Christian Blauvelt, hardcover)
10/1/19: Be More Lando (Christian Blauvelt, hardcover)
9/24/19: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks & Other Galactic Survival Skills( Christian Blauvelt, hardcover)
9/24/19: Master & Apprentice (Claudia Gray, paperback)
9/18/19: Jedi Academy: Attack of the Furball (Jarrett J. Krosoczka/Amy Ignatow, hardcover)
9/18/19: The Rebel Files (D. Wallace, hardcover… $50?!?)
9/17/19: Smuggler's Guide (Daniel Wallace, hardcover)
9/12?/19: Black Spire (Delilah S. Dawson, hardcover)
9/12?/19: Crash of Fate (Zoraida Cordova, hardcover)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Man! It is getting harder to find Disney-era fiction that's good; accepting just so-so cannot become a watered-down rubric for "good." Delilah S. Dawson's Black Spire started out as a shill for the Galaxy's Edge theme park (and not a good one, either). Then, the characters were becoming fleshed out, and enough to care about. If it weren't for an interesting surprise towards the end, it would not have even been so-so. I'll use the spoiler feature below for the rest, but I had to put it out there how I felt and feel. :( Sad face.

There is a LOT of torture in this, and more mentions of bathrooms (and even "pee" as a word) than ever in any sci-fi book, let alone SW book, I have ever read. It is dragged out, but Archex getting a form of his Capt. Cardinal armor back (he painted a stolen trooper's armor) was a good twist. How the FO could not find a famous catacomb-type area and guess that it's a Resistance base, I'll never know. Again, too much current words (animal names, colloquialisms, mild profanities, etc.) for a SW story, but that's a ship that sailed long ago.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
Man! It is getting harder to find Disney-era fiction that's good; accepting just so-so cannot become a watered-down rubric for "good." Delilah S. Dawson's Black Spire started out as a shill for the Galaxy's Edge theme park (and not a good one, either). Then, the characters were becoming fleshed out, and enough to care about. If it weren't for an interesting surprise towards the end, it would not have even been so-so. I'll use the spoiler feature below for the rest, but I had to put it out there how I felt and feel. :( Sad face.

Tell me about, BC. I keep finding myself going back to the older stuff.

I'm 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through Black Spire. It finally picked up some steam. I avoided your spoiler. ; )

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I've mostly enjoyed the Disney fiction. I got two duds yesterday, though. I preordered Dooku: Jedi Lost, only to find it's just the script of the audio drama. I figured it would be reformatted into prose, at least.

And I preordered The Skywalker Saga because I figured it would have some new insight or details. They wouldn't waste Delilah Dawson, would they? Yes, they would.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
I saw Spark of the Resistance at Target yesterday. The premise sounds good. I'll pick it up here soon.

The Journey to books haven't disappointed me. Only one that I thought was so-so.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
What is the point of the loose "Flight of the Falcon" comics and books? As stand-alones, they're generally pretty good stories that involve the Falcon. And the frame narrative is pretty decent.

Only there's no point that I can tell. Uber-badarse Bazine Netal is hired by the First Order to track down the Falcon. Only it's after Kylo has killed Han. And they apparently gave her absolutely no info; she's having to ask people about the ship's capabilities. (Keep in mind this is the same woman who hand-delivered Vader's helmet to Kylo, and ratted out BB-8 on Takodana. They probably can trust her with basic knowledge.)

And her entire method of investigation is finding people who once saw the Falcon years ago, meeting them in cantinas or bars, and listening to their stories. Only a few stories have any continuity from one to another (like Lando's Luck ends with her getting a tip about Hondo), and there's no clear beginning or end that I can determine. She just keeps listening to stories, and apparently never finds the Falcon.

Like I said, decent overall but pointless.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
What is the point of the loose "Flight of the Falcon" comics and books? As stand-alones, they're generally pretty good stories that involve the Falcon. And the frame narrative is pretty decent.

Like I said, decent overall but pointless.
You bought it, right? There'$ the point. :(

They are small and short, but the Be More... books have been nice. I am reading Be More Lando now; smooth.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I take it back. Bazine does finally encounter the Falcon in Pirate's Price, in a twist ending I must admit I didn't see coming. I won't spoil it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I forgot that "spoiler," but I referenced some surprises when I posted about it in this thread above. I liked PP, Chux.

If you want a brief time of mirth, smiling all the time, read Jeffrey Brown's newest illustrated "family" book, Rey and Pals.

In other news, apparently, I read the first in the Galaxy's Edge "series" after the second book. I did not enjoy this first book, A Crash of Fate, by Zoraida Cordova. In fairness, I will post with the Spoiler Feature again, but why?

Man! If you ever wanted to feel like you were meeting up with your school days crush at a new Disney theme park, were inconsistent in your actions, words, personality, or point of view, and weren't even sure if your storyline finished logically, all in just a single day, then this book is... for you? Spelling errors, confusing points of view WITHIN the very chapter, characters who might very be the same employees who work at GE and aren't fully trained to know SW concepts: all within a "plotline" of a smuggler pilot who returns to Batuu and meets a boy (now, a MAN! a hamsome, strong MAN! ) she once knew, messes up her delivery somehow and gets to KISS HIM in an underground pool before fighting people and saving the farmlands from destruction! Even DJ Rex's shout-outs in the cantina can't even save it. Wow. Ugh.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I rather enjoyed A Crash of Fate myself. Granted, it didn't come close to the unexpected heights of the previous "young adult romance set in Star Wars and starring characters tangential to the main story," Lost Stars.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
Finished GE: Black Spires this morning. Eh. That's the best rating I can come up with. Has anyone read any of Dawson's other works? I'm curious to compare.

I might take a break from SW reading. Then again, may not.

I bought JTTROS: Spark of the Resistance. Planning on reading that at Thanksgiving.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Finished GE: Black Spires this morning. Eh. That's the best rating I can come up with. Has anyone read any of Dawson's other works? I'm curious to compare.

I might take a break from SW reading. Then again, may not.

I bought JTTROS: Spark of the Resistance. Planning on reading that at Thanksgiving.
I looked up my review of her Phasma in this thread, and I think my view of it was similar to yours of GE:BS.

I have SOTR on my shelf; I decided to wait until after the film (in fact, all 3 of the Disney films) to read any JTTROS books.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I actually liked the screenplay aspect of Cavan Scott's Dooku: Lost Jedi. I might need to find the audio performance to hear it, too. It was too much of the "lost journal now found" style that SW has used over the years in its fiction. And the time "travel" theme was getting a bit clichéd. But the action was good, the characters weren't bland, and seeing younger versions (well, not so young for Yoda ;) ) of known individuals was good. It wasn't awesome, but it still held my attention for more than just the last scenes (there were 136 total) or Parts (6 of these).

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I hereby declare Force Collector to be the greatest new canon book solely based on one throwaway line re-canonizing TEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
That was before the dark times, before the Disney buyout. (Hey, I think they're doing better than a lot of folks do, but I wasn't passing up that reference.)

At this point, so much of those movies has been reintroduced, we may as well just consider them canon again.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
That was before the dark times, before the Disney buyout. (Hey, I think they're doing better than a lot of folks do, but I wasn't passing up that reference.)

At this point, so much of those movies has been reintroduced, we may as well just consider them canon again.
And yet, they are not on the Disney+ streaming service and it doesn't appear to be because their streaming rights are held by another company at present. I do wonder if Disney is trying to sweep them under the rug.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I read How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks & Other Galactic Survival Skills by Christian Blauvelt (same writer of the 'Be More...' series), and it was okay. Sometimes funny; it was easy to pick up and continue over a week or so.