The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
Started reading Spark of the Resistance the other night. From the writing style, you can tell it's geared toward younger readers. The plot is a little familiar (I wouldn't go as far as saying overused) but it's a change of pace to see Rey, Poe and Rose working together.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
There was a school fundraiser at B&N today, and I'd waited to buy most of the SW books until this, so I was a tad surprised to see the screen show $200+, before my membership discount kicked in. I now own:
- 2 more trade paperbacks (TIE Fighter, Galaxy's Edge)
- 1 cookbook (G's E)
- an Art of... (Fallen Jedi) and a Guide (Smugglers')
- novels (Resistance Reborn [with a free pin/button!], Force Collector)
- another Little Golden Book (We are the Resistance)
- a bio (Anthony Daniel's)
- plus some other non-SW items (gifts for others, mainly)

After this Friday's movie release, I can also start reading Spark of Res.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
If you like spicy (I can't remember if you do or not), the Mandalorian Stew in the GE Cookbook is amazing. I wouldn't spend too much time hunting purple potatoes, though--the taste is close enough that I'm pretty sure the purple is only for exotic effect.

I've made it a few times (it's easy), and added black and cayenne pepper the last time, as well as a little vodka between the chicken and other ingredients (not because I'm a lush, but because vodka pairs well with tomato, which the recipe has). My son and I thought it was better; my wife and daughter preferred it the other way. So your mileage may vary, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

As for reading, I started the Adventures in Wild Space, which is basically the E-nU take on Galaxy of Fear (minus the lame Goosebumps knockoff approach). It was mildly entertaining and completely inconsequential, until the characters go to Lothal and meet the Bridger family. I will say the guest appearances so far are MUCH more organic than in GoF.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I'm not as spicy as a certain commercial, so if I made such a dish, I'd likely remove some of the sweat-inducing ingredients.

I finished Spark of Resistance by Justina Ireland, now that I've seen TROS. Aside from some dialogue or situations in the film, this was virtually completely spoiler-free. A decent McGuffin-style plot (find the mind-control weapon, or don't let it fall into enemy hands) with a little Indiana Jones too, I wondered if the green-skinned long-eared creatures might've been Jaxxon's species (appears not, though).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I hereby declare Force Collector to be the greatest new canon book solely based on one throwaway line re-canonizing TEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!
I liked how author Kevin Shinick (who I realized I have met and briefly spoken with before; he signed my copy of Chewie & the Porgs) mixed in various SW lines from the Episode I-IX movies throughout this book. It recaps (mostly... see! Another SW line of dialogue) the saga through a character with psychometry (like how Quinlan Vos had... in the Legends canon, which might be allowed for him since he was mentioned in a film) who learns of the past as he touches important objects he encounters. Pretty good overall.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Quinlan had the same power in Clone Wars, so it still counts. :)

I finished the Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary yesterday. It's probably the most crucial reference book DK has published, filling in a LOT of holes, clarifying apparent issues (especially with the timeline), and reintroducing a crap-ton of EU elements (Ossus! Darths Revan, Tenebrous, Phobos, and Desolous!). There's also some hints that there was a Dengar cameo in plain sight.

And it slightly spoils a Resistance episode that hasn't aired yet, and hints at a massive space battle over Batuu slightly after all the existing Galaxy's Edge fiction.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I am looking for the Vis Dictionary (I don't like to order oversized items online for two reasons: likely theft from the porch, likely damage from shipping and mishandling), but so far, no luck nearby. But I have an in.

I read Rebecca Roanhorse's Resistance Reborn (I wonder if all her books are alliterative matches with her names) and it was pretty good: brings back some characters and focuses on some others who appear in TROS; in fact, the character interplay was the best part of the book. The plot is how the Resistance can get more supplies and materiel and allies to keep fighting the FO, with Poe as the main focus. I miss the trilogy series of books from the EU; this could've been expanded to thrice the length and developed the story in more detail. I also miss the Dramatis Personae page (it helps so much, to follow who's who and their allegiance/species). Oh well.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
I am looking for the Vis Dictionary (I don't like to order oversized items online for two reasons: likely theft from the porch, likely damage from shipping and mishandling), but so far, no luck nearby. But I have an in.

I read Rebecca Roanhorse's Resistance Reborn (I wonder if all her books are alliterative matches with her names) and it was pretty good: brings back some characters and focuses on some others who appear in TROS; in fact, the character interplay was the best part of the book. The plot is how the Resistance can get more supplies and materiel and allies to keep fighting the FO, with Poe as the main focus. I miss the trilogy series of books from the EU; this could've been expanded to thrice the length and developed the story in more detail. I also miss the Dramatis Personae page (it helps so much, to follow who's who and their allegiance/species). Oh well.
I'm reading Resistance Reborn now. I just need to turn anti-social, sit down in my chair and read it. I'm enjoying it so far.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
Finished Resistance Reborn. Got to a part where it was hard to put down. Of the newer SW novels I've read lately, it's one of the better ones. And it ties into the movie nicely.

Started Alphabet Squadron. I think after this one, gonna take a little break from the SW universe. Found a copy of Rogue Heroes, about the SAS' origins in WWII at Books a Million over the weekend.