The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
It would have been SO much easier to not throw out the EU at all and just work around it. Aside from a few weirdnesses (mostly due to Prequel surprises), it has policed itself. There are so many gaps that can be filled in; it covers, what 25,100 years of time? With around 200 or so of them more heavily written about. But, out with the old; in with the power-hungry, brand-name new.

Here's my quick, off-the-top-of-my-lekku list of the eras:
- really old Jedi/Sith wars (mostly Dark Horse series: 25,000-5000 Before Battle of Yavin)
- pre-Prequels (100 BBY)
- Prequel era (50 BBY - 20 BBY: 3 films, CW cartoons [yes, both], Dark Horse comics)
- Rebellion/OT era (20 BBY - 10 After BY, just before and after the Original Trilogy films)
- terrible era (15 ABY - 100 ABY: NJO, FOTJ, Waru)
- Episodes 7-9 (and I'm SURE there'll be no other films :brusheshands: :rolleyes: )

If Wedge saw the gaps there, he'd say: "That's impossible! Even for-" Wait, no: "Look at the size of that thing!" But, Disney'd just tell him to cut the chatter and hit him with extra unsold copies of Karen Traviss books... :(

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I think it would've been better to take a sort of "Post-Crisis DCU" approach, where they just started writing new stories, sometimes overriding or contradicting Pre-Crisis stories, more often not. And it was understood that the entire Pre-Crisis Earth One continuity could, with a few exceptions (like most of the insane sci-fi Batman stories of the 1950s that simply didn't fit with the "new" Batman), be assumed to be canonical unless and until retconned by a later story. (Some Post-Crisis stories were even retconned within a few years themselves.) So, basically, it's all good unless something newer says it's not.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I think it would've been better to take a sort of "Post-Crisis DCU" approach, where they just started writing new stories, sometimes overriding or contradicting Pre-Crisis stories, more often not. ... So, basically, it's all good unless something newer says it's not.
Agreed. I think the "the Expanded Universe is no more" proclamation was foolish. Let it happen if it does, but to rubber stamp it out just tells me Disney WILL re-make Star Wars, not continue it. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I think it would've been better to take a sort of "Post-Crisis DCU" approach, where they just started writing new stories, sometimes overriding or contradicting Pre-Crisis stories, more often not. And it was understood that the entire Pre-Crisis Earth One continuity could, with a few exceptions (like most of the insane sci-fi Batman stories of the 1950s that simply didn't fit with the "new" Batman), be assumed to be canonical unless and until retconned by a later story. (Some Post-Crisis stories were even retconned within a few years themselves.) So, basically, it's all good unless something newer says it's not.
From a practical standpoint, that's kind of the way it's been going so far. Obviously there hasn't been a whole ton of Disney-era content released yet, and as more content is released, more things will be contradicted. It seems like the big announcement was mainly done to let people know that the new moves won't follow the post-ROTJ EU, as that's likely where the biggest differences will be. Pablo Hidalgo has said that, if a new story doesn't directly contradict something from an older EU story, that older EU story can still reasonably said to "have happened."

I saw a LOT of Legends-branded books at Barnes and Noble today, and I was sort of surprised to see that there wasn't any further explanation of what that label meant for those not in the know. The books still had the novel timeline inside, and the content itself was unchanged. They're still being sold and they're not magically disappearing from shelves.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I have started to read the YA Rebels books I've had on my shelf for some time, and they are using many of the EU-based details (ship designations, planet names, first names of characters only listed by last in films/shows, etc.). There have been some "new" aliens named and described in words, that have yet to be shown in image form, too.

[edit] Here are two reviews of short YA Rebels books:

The Rebellion Begins by Michael Kogge, which is the novelization of the premiere episode of the cartoon. It follows the same plot of the show, with some inner monologues to add more to the characters, somewhat. There are some "gaps" from the show filled in, too. Written well, and not too "youth-centric" to me.

Ezra's Gamble by Ryder Windham. This was so-so, following Ezra before the Rebels TV show plot began (in fact, I'd guess it takes place less than a month before the first episode). A team-up with Basic-speaking Bossk was implausible, as well as 1000-credit chips so easily passed around, and theft of a helmet FROM a crashed TIE. Simplistic, even for a YA book; not Windham's best SW work.

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Anyone with kiddies might like to pick up The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight as a bedtime story book. It uses the McQuarrie paintings and production art/sketches as a picture book to tell the story of one Tatooine lad-turned galactic guardian of peace and justice. No changes to the tale, but since it focuses on Luke, some details are omitted or glossed over; it "nices-up" some parts, but doesn't really sanitize the storyline. Quite nice; and as an adult, you get a nice reminder of what it was like to watch it the first time. Best part? the two-page spread inside the Cloud City air shaft.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
What in SW "about Luke" does it have to "nice up" for kids?

Hmmm.

If I took that in reverse, in 'the mature audiences only" version of Luke's story...

I'd have him hotwire cameras in Cammie's home so he can watch her get naked and take moisture vaporator baths.

I'd also discuss how one goes to the bathroom in a stormtrooper uniform because of all that running around in the Death Star, didn't anyone say, "wait! I have to use the facilities." - especially while they were in the garbage compactor. How about a detailed description of "What EXACTLY" all that liquid Luke took a swim in was? Huh?

Also, Han Solo was an illegal drug smuggler. Why was the conversation about what cocaine and heroin sold for in Mos Eisley (Kessel spice in the SW world) omitted? And descriptions of eyes dilated in the cantina?

But Star Wars ANH really couldn't need to get any nicer for a kids' adaptation.

Unless the stormtroopers on the blockade runner fell down just because they didn't want to play with Princess Leia any more.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
What in SW "about Luke" does it have to "nice up" for kids?

Hmmm.

But Star Wars ANH really couldn't need to get any nicer for a kids' adaptation.
The violence: no mention of the deaths Owen and Beru, outcomes of the lightsaber battles are less detailed, no torture of Leia or Han referenced, no blaster shot to his hand on the Sail Barge. Not the kind of details you'd want to fill a child's head before falling asleep.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I don't have children. So I wouldn't know this.

But my first instinct (if I had kids) is to hide nothing from them. Desensitize them early, and it will make training them to be serial killers or high priced assassins that much easier.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I haven't watched Rebels yet (have it recorded and plan to binge watch) but I think the book's main character, Zare, is featured in the ep where Ezra infiltrates the Imperial Academy. The book is set before Zare goes to the academy; he's at a prep school and the captain of a grav ball team.

Like I said before, the book sets a tone for themes we're familiar with: the beginning of the Rebellion, the Empire's hatred of alien species, political intrigue. But I wonder if these issues were too much for a YA took? For me, it wasn't clicking.
I, too, finished this book. Aside from the extensive descriptions of grav-ball (AKA football, but it reminded me too much of quidditch), it was a good insight into how the Empire could grow with people supporting it (semi-spoiler alert: and how there are those can dislike its power grabbing).

Apr 28, 2013
Finished up the Dark Forces trilogy. I kinda forgot I had these books until I was doing some cleaning/reorganizing. Started reading it at Christmas. Thought the first one was a little slow (or maybe it was my schedule) but it took me longer than usual to read. But I was intrigued to read the other two, which read quicker.

Got a few ideas for new custom figures from the books, too.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Here are some upcoming titles, and as always, some great ones and some okay ones, with a few "meh" ones...

9/8/15: William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge: Star Wars Part the Third (hardcover)
8/1/15: Stars and Wars: The Film Memoirs and Photographs of Alan Tomkins (Alan Tomkins, hardcover)
7/28/15: Star Wars: Jedi Academy #3 (Jeffrey Brown, hardcover)
7/7/15: Dark Disciple: Star Wars (Christie Brown, hardcover… shows Quinlan Vos on the cover)
7/7/15: William Shakespeare's Alack! Of the Clones: Star Wars Part the Second (Ian Doescher, hardcover)
4/28/15: Star Wars: Lords of the Sith (Paul S. Kemp, hardcover)
4/28/15: Vader's Secret Missions LEGO Star Wars: Chapter Book #2 (Ace Landers, paperback)
4/7/15: William Shakespeare's Forsooth, the Phantom Menace: Star Wars Part the First (Ian Doescher, hardcover)
3/31/15: A New Dawn (John Jackson Miller, paperback)
3/31/15: Star Wars Doodle Book (Zack Giallongo, paperback)
3/3/15: Heir to the Jedi (Kevin Hearne, hardcover)
3/3/15: Star Wars Art: A Poster Collection (Lucasfilm Ltd., paperback)
3/3/15: Star Wars Rebels Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks (Jason Fry, paperback)
2/24/15: Honor Among Thieves: Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion (James S. A. Corey, paperback)
2/10/15: Star Wars Rebels Screen Cap Graphic Novel #2 (Disney Book Group, paperback… don’t even recall #1)
1/27/15: Maul: Lockdown (Joel Schrieber, paperback)

Apr 28, 2013
Ooo, the PT is getting the Shakespeare treatment. That's interesting.

My niece got the OT Shakespeare box set for Christmas. Was planning to get her just ANH but got a killer deal for the boxset, and it was hard to pass up.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I hope something officially canonizes Lockdown soon. I was shocked by how good that book was (details like Yuuzhan Vong running around notwithstanding), and it'd be a shame for something to override it so soon.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Ooo, the PT is getting the Shakespeare treatment. That's interesting.

My niece got the OT Shakespeare box set for Christmas. Was planning to get her just ANH but got a killer deal for the boxset, and it was hard to pass up.
I found that same set for 50% with 30% more off with coupons.

But releasing the PT versions so quickly might be too much too soon.

I am curious how the other hardcover novels will go (virtually all in the post-ROJ era).