The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
If you like spicy (I can't remember if you do or not), the Mandalorian Stew in the GE Cookbook is amazing. I wouldn't spend too much time hunting purple potatoes, though--the taste is close enough that I'm pretty sure the purple is only for exotic effect.

I've made it a few times (it's easy), and added black and cayenne pepper the last time, as well as a little vodka between the chicken and other ingredients (not because I'm a lush, but because vodka pairs well with tomato, which the recipe has). My son and I thought it was better; my wife and daughter preferred it the other way. So your mileage may vary, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
I finally got around to reading the whole GE Cookbook (and check out today's date). The foods aren't mainly in my tastebuds-range, but I really enjoyed the storytelling by "Cookie" Strono Tuggs. The pictures of each dish were great, too. Once the theme park re-opens, tasting some of the foods there would be something I would look forward to, though.

And, I realized I had another short SW book that I could finish on this fine day: Smuggler’s Guide by Daniel Wallace, one of those "lost" journal books. This one goes through the hands of various underworld figures such as Han, Maz, Hondo, Evazan, Dexter, Aphra, Unkar, the Irvings, and more. Best parts were the places and characters mentioned like The Wheel, Gallandro, a bounty hunter from Ord Mantell, the Tonnika Sisters; interestingly, no Fetts at all. The artwork was nice, but the premise ran thin quickly.

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
I have enjoyed parts of Michael Kogge's junior novelizations of the Disney movies, but I can't say any of the three was great overall. The Rise of Skywalker also had some good portions (spelling Exegol differently in a Jedi text, mentioning some Sith from the Kevin J. Anderson comic series days) because they let him expand on scenes either filmed but not in the movie or just ideas he wanted to share (the end of Kylo's torture of Chewie, inside Hux's mind). I recalled a few entries in the Visual Dictionary that were mentioned (Knights of Ren individuals, planet systems, weapon types), and I have really liked his opening and closing chapters' symmetry.

[edit: 5/10] I keep saying I am done with the Jarrett Krosoczka's Jedi Academy cartoon YA books, but maybe this one, At Last, Jedi (which seems like the real final book in the series) would be it. The story is reminiscent of the Disney Trilogy (family members turn to the Dark Side, need their family members to turn them from it) mashing-up with Harry Potter. Artwork is the same, but the plot is actually decent.

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Two SW books, finished on the 40th anniversary of ESB, still the best movie in the saga after all these years: I enjoyed the TROS Visual Dictionary, maybe not as much as Chuxter. All the names, especially bringing back some from cartoons, EU stories. Do we really need names for EVERY SINGE on-screen (or off-camera) individual? Yes, apparently.

Anthony Daniels' autobiography, I Am C-3PO, was both amazing and sad. His memory recall is exceptional; each of the 64 chapters is titled a different single word that encapsulates the key of that memory. He was not happy with his treatment after ANH: his name rarely mentioned (as if an actual robot was the actor), his physical well-being ignored (especially not-flat floors or having to react to lines or actors with almost no vision or hearing inside the sweltering, painful suit). One big realization for me: John Williams didn't create a theme for him. An interesting perspective on the films from pre-1977 production through Episode IX.

[edit] Actually, make that THREE Star Wars books for this greatest-of-all-SW-films anniversary date! Cavan Scott's Choose Your Destiny: A Luke & Leia Adventure. The "make better choices" phrase got stale really quickly, as Luke and Leia reached "The End" (although, I realized I should choose that page first, so I could back to the "right" choice... and I have developed a multiple-fingers-to-hold-the-page method, so I can find out the continuation of that story thread a little easier) and were usually captured or stranded somewhere. This one had Han mention "Syndulla or Jaxxon" as someone to do a job, when Leia decides to "borrow" the Falcon for an operation. The artwork by Elsa Charretier is comic book-y good.
P.S. This is the earliest in a year that I reached my annual goal of reading a-book-a-week for 52 total.

Last edited:

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Received Daniels' book for Christmas. It's on my list to read.

Reading Queen's Shadow right now. I've gotten into the habit of sitting in the chair or on the couch and reading for about an hour before going to bed. Really enjoying that.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Since it just came out last week, I’ll post comments about E.K. Johnston’s Queen’s Peril in the Spoiler below. Overall, it was very good; it's a Prequel to Queen's Shadow.
Well, page 93 is the first time this happened in a SW book I believe: an important period in half of the human population’s lives. And later, it occurs again. I really liked how each of the handmaidens, before they are chosen, get to display their own skills and personalities; I also liked the glossing-over of other movie characters’ roles or words in this book. I would not have thought that TPM took place less than a year (maybe just a few months) from when Amidala was elected queen. The camps on Naboo still were bad, just not as “catastrophic” as Bibble said in his message (but the code word trigger used in it was a sneaky good plot device here). Describing the palace and its artwork and furniture was great. The music concert was somewhat cheesy, as was the band’s name.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
With all this time at home for many, this year (and into the start of 2021) has quite a lot of books upcoming... and several of them look really good, too!

2/2/21: The High Republic: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray (hardcover, with illustrations)
1/5/21: The High Republic: A Test of Courage by Justina Ireland (hardcover, with illustrations)
1/5/21: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule (hardcover)
12/15/20: Star Wars Adventures Vol. 11: Rise of the Wookiees by John Barber (paperback, with illustrations)
12/8/20: Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars - Battle Tales by Michael Moreci (paperback, with illustrations)
11/30/20: The Star Wars Archives. 1977-1983 - 40th Anniversary Edition by Paul Duncan [Editor] (hardcover)
11/24/20: Bounty Hunters Vol. 1: Galaxy's Deadliest by Ethan Sacks & Paolo Villanelli (trade paperback)
11/20/20: Star Wars: The Triumph of Nerd Culture by Josef Benson (hardcover)
11/10/20: From a Certain Point of View: ESB (40 authors!)
11/10/20: From the Journals of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Marvel, trade paperback)
11/10/20: The Jedi Mind: Secrets from the Force for Balance and Peace by Amy Ratcliffe (hardcover)
11/3/20: The Rise of Skywalker Graphic Novel Adaptation (trade paperback)
11/3/20: 5-Minute Star Wars Stories (Refresh) by Lucasfilm Press (hardcover)
11/3/20: Star Wars Complete Vehicles New Edition by Pablo Hidalgo, Jason Fry (hardcover)
10/27/20: The Rise of Skywalker by RH Disney (paperback)
10/20/20: The Star Wars Book: Expand your knowledge of a galaxy far, far away by Cole Horton, Pablo Hidalgo, Dan Zehr (hardcover)
10/20/20: The Lightsaber Collection: Lightsabers from the Skywalker Saga, The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels and more (Star Wars gift, Lightsaber book) by Daniel Wallace (hardcover)
10/6/20: [4 books] Battle Stations Activity Book and Model: Make Your Own AT-AT [or Millennium Falcon, or U-Wing or TIE Silencer] by Insight Editions (hardcover)
10/6/20: Star Wars Origami 2 by Chris Alexander (hardcover)
10/6/20: A Jedi, You Will Be by Preeti Chhibber, Mike Deas [Illustrator] (hardcover)
10/6/20: Star Wars: The Poster Collection (Mini Book) by Insight Editions (hardcover)
10/6/20: Star Wars Adventures: Beware Vader's Castle by Cavan Scott (hardcover, with illustrators)
10/6/20: Star Wars: Word Search and Coloring Book by Editors of Thunder Bay Press (paperback)
9/29/20: The Super Cool Science of Star Wars: The Saber-Swirling Science Behind the Death Star, Aliens, and Life in That Galaxy Far, Far Away! by Mark Brake (paperback)
9/22/20: Star Wars Adventures Vol. 10: Driving Force by Delilah S. Dawson (paperback, with illustrators)
9/15/20: Star Wars: Fascinating Facts by Pablo Hidalgo (hardcover)
9/15/20: Inside the Star Wars Empire: A Memoir by Bill Kimberlin (paperback)
9/15/20: The Mandalorian: The Art and Imagery Collector's Edition Vol.2 by Titan (hardcover)
9/1/20: Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising [The Ascendancy Trilogy #1 by Timothy Zahn (hardcover)
8/25/20: The Rise of Skywalker by Little Golden Books (hardcover)
8/25/20: The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark by Lou Anders, Tom Angleberger, Preeti Chhibber, Zoraida Cordova, Jason Fry (hardcover)
8/7/20: Shadows of the Empire [Original Game Soundtrack] by Joel McNeely (vinyl record or CD)
8/4/20: The Mandalorian: The Art and Imagery Collector's Edition Vol.1 by Titan (hardcover)
8/4/20: Poe Dameron: Free Fall by Alex Segura (hardcover)
8/1/20: Choose Your Destiny (Set) by Abdo Publishing (hardcover, $114?)
8/1/20: Postcolonial Star Wars: Essays on Empire and Rebellion in a Galaxy Far, Far Away by Matthew Schultz [Editor] (hardcover, $99?)
7/28/20: The Rise of Kylo Ren by Marvel (trade paperback)
7/28/20: Dark Legends by George Mann, Grant Griffin [Illustrator] (hardcover)
7/28/20: William Shakespeare's The Merry Rise of Skywalker: Star Wars Part the Ninth by Ian Doescher (hardcover)
7/21/20: Women of the Galaxy 2021 Wall Calendar by Lucasfilm LTD.
7/21/20: Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu by Cole Horton (hardcover)
7/15/20: Star Wars Meets the Eras of Feminism: Weighing All the Galaxy's Women Great and Small by Valerie Estelle Frankel (paperback)
6/30/20: Use the Force!: Discover what it takes to be a Jedi by Christian Blauvelt (hardcover or paperback?)
6/30/20: Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson (paperback)
6/23/20: Star Wars Adventures Vol. 9: Fight the Empire by Delilah S. Dawson (paperback, with illustrators)
6/23/20: Book of Lists: 100 Lists Compiling a Galaxy's Worth of Trivia by Cole Horton (hardcover)
6/23/20: Shadow Fall by Alexander Freed (hardcover)

Last edited:

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Reading I Am C-3PO right now. Interesting perspective on the movies from someone who was there.

Speaking of so, when I read the chapter about the first Celebration in Denver, I had to laugh. AD put a little more of a positive spin on the weekend. The fans called it Dagobah.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
I was saving it for the Anaheim trip but since that's off, I started Han Solo and Stars' End. Great book. Think I last read it at the previous Anaheim Celebration.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Review of the newest Alphabet Squadron book is below... my enthusiasm levels.

I have read a lot, hundreds, of Star Wars fiction over my decades of such reading. I have read great and good books; this was not a great or good book. I have read weird books; this was not a weird book. I have read confusing or complex books; this was not a confusing nor complex book. I have read bad books; this wasn't really a bad book. I have read dull books; I suppose this was one. But one word has never appeared in my mind while or after reading a book: useless. I don't know why (aside from makin' money, of course) this book was written. It ended with a final battle over the planet, when Gen. Syndulla arrives to (sort of) save the day. And the last page was as predictable a "surprise" as I've ever read in SW stories. But prior to that, there was dull, plodding, long, laborious, overly-minute descriptions of the "action" going on. Supposedly, it's secret as to which side certain characters are on (New Republic, or Empire reborn). I don't really know which character is which (because they're so similar and they rarely have unique traits to separate them). More uses of "scr3w," "p1ss," and "[email protected]" than I recall in a SW book, but I guess that's the direction it's going now. Well, I know I CAN wait for the last book in this trilogy.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
For starters, I haven't bought Shadow Fall yet. I read Freed's Twilight Company and really enjoyed it.

Alphabet Squadron was OK. The characters didn't gel like those in Twilight. Don't know if there was too much going on, if the plot was all over the place, or the characters were just too odd. I don't know.

And the trend to work modern day slang into the SW universe continues.

I'm currently reading Queen's Peril.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
You'll appreciate this, BC. A first for me in a SW novel (at least I think it is). In Queen's Peril, there's reference to one of the handmaidens getting her period; yes, I know it's natural, but it hadn't occurred in a SW novel before.

The word 'sh#4' used, and the missed opportunity of a girl on girl kiss between one of the handmaidens and a visiting diplomat.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Johnston mentioned that in her ending, IIRC, that it was the first time that was mentioned in a SW anything.

Most of the new books are trying too hard to turn the SW universe into the current world, just with blasters and hyperdrives (slang terms, too).

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Johnston mentioned that in her ending, IIRC, that it was the first time that was mentioned in a SW anything.

Most of the new books are trying too hard to turn the SW universe into the current world, just with blasters and hyperdrives (slang terms, too).
I was just reading and that popped up and I was like, oh.

Top Bottom