The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
I read that one, BC. It was pretty good.

Finished the junior Mando novel last night. My takeaway from it: I need to sit down and re-watch season 1.

Claudia Gray wrote a YA High Republic novel. I picked it up over the weekend. Will start it tonight

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Hey guys, since I see you're all reading the High Republic novels (doesn't seem there much other new stuff out there right now) I was hoping for some specific recommendations. I generally have stayed away from this era (even in the "Legends" days) mostly because it rarely seemed to tie into things that happened in the OT (or even PT). It sounds like that's not quite as true as it used to be? I'm also reluctant to dive in since a lot of the Star Wars books I've read over the last few years have felt like they skew towards a tween audience in terms of themes, language, and character motivation. Is there anything out there that connects to the films and won't have me rolling my eyes every other page?

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
I enjoy the Tales of series. Mos Eisley Cantina, New Republic, Jabba's Palace. I have a tendency to take one of these books with me when traveling because they're short story collections.

The Han Solo Adventures are another go-to series for me. Stars' End is my favorite. Been reading that one since the late 70s. Just reread it last year; it was going to Anaheim with me but since Celebration was canceled I still read it.

Death Troopers is another favorite. Can't go wrong with Star Wars zombies!

Karen Traviss's Republic Commando series is good.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I enjoy the Tales of series. Mos Eisley Cantina, New Republic, Jabba's Palace. I have a tendency to take one of these books with me when traveling because they're short story collections.

The Han Solo Adventures are another go-to series for me. Stars' End is my favorite. Been reading that one since the late 70s. Just reread it last year; it was going to Anaheim with me but since Celebration was canceled I still read it.

Death Troopers is another favorite. Can't go wrong with Star Wars zombies!

Karen Traviss's Republic Commando series is good.
Thanks, guess I should have been a little more clear. I was looking for recommendations within the new High Republic offerings. I've already read pretty much everything from Legends and most of the new EU.

The Tales series is one of my favorites though (you omitted Tales of the Empire!). That series along with the X-Wing books were the two series I couldn't part with when I downsized my Star Wars library.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Having only read one book in the HR series, I can't help you much, DarkJedi. I think El Chuxter here has read at least three of the books out so far, maybe even some of the comics.
Well, can I take it that since you're not recommending the one book you did read that it wasn't the sort of thing I'm looking for?

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
There's only 3 books out in the High Republic right now, to my knowledge, and two of those are YA books. Feel free to correct me.

The next adult HR novel isn't due out until summer.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Well, can I take it that since you're not recommending the one book you did read that it wasn't the sort of thing I'm looking for?
Since I can't recall much that would connect to the films (they do mention Coruscant as the home of the Republic and the Jedi), it's just too early to tell. I don't think waiting to start reading HR stories until there are more books out there would be too bad.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
There's only 3 books out in the High Republic right now, to my knowledge, and two of those are YA books. Feel free to correct me.

The next adult HR novel isn't due out until summer.
Since I can't recall much that would connect to the films (they do mention Coruscant as the home of the Republic and the Jedi), it's just too early to tell. I don't think waiting to start reading HR stories until there are more books out there would be too bad.
Thanks guys, I've got a historical fiction series I'm halfway through so I'll stick with that for a bit longer and then may revisit some old favorites for now.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I am about a 1/4 of the way through Light of the Jedi (it's the first adult HR book). Remember that episode of The Simpsons when they introduce Poochie? And Milhouse whines about "when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?" Each chapter actually has a time-remaining countdown to some "impact" for at least these first 100-or-so pages. Wonder what'll happen?

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
I know what happens but won't spoil it. : P

I'm reading my third High Republic book (1 adult, two YA) and they still haven't gotten to Starlight Beacon!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I can now say that I've read two High Republic books, with the "main" one to begin the series, Charles Soule's Light of the Jedi. It took a while, but the characters became unique, and not just "another Jedi" or "another Nihil villain." I saw parallels in the recent world events (but mostly in the US). The descriptions of Jedi powers and abilities seemed realistic and not cheesy, but quite powerful. I thought that this was set 1000 years before the film Episodes, but it appears like it's more like 400-500 years prior. I'm not super-excited to see where this new series goes, but I am intrigued.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
Finally got to see what Starlight Beacon looks like. It's in the High Republic comics! Found issue #1 over the weekend and started reading it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The third book of the new High Republic series, Into the Dark by Claudia Gray, was perhaps the best so far. This galactic "emergence" emergency is a good jumping-off point (and a convenient post- and pre- focus time) for the series. Jedi need to find out why a distant observation station has trouble, and their internal struggles affect them and their non-Jedi crew. But Geode; the character Geode rocks!

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
The third book of the new High Republic series, Into the Dark by Claudia Gray, was perhaps the best so far. This galactic "emergence" emergency is a good jumping-off point (and a convenient post- and pre- focus time) for the series. Jedi need to find out why a distant observation station has trouble, and their internal struggles affect them and their non-Jedi crew. But Geode; the character Geode rocks!
Gray doesn't disappoint. I finished Into the Dark last night, and you're right, BC, it's the best of the three High Republic novels. The Nihil will be worthy adversaries for the Jedi.

Haven't found Shadow Fall at Target or WM yet. Might just pick it up at BAM tomorrow. May start ESB From A Certain Point of View tonight or take a short break.

I'm reading Truce at Bakura (there's a blast from the past!) at the Y.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I'll put the spoilers in the Spoilers link so I don't spoil Alexander Freed's third-in-a-trilogy Victory’s Price. I found it to be the best of those three books, by far. ... hmm, this new "spoiler" feature is different...

ABC, book #3
Well, the Battle of Jakku has now been told (again?). Did we know Hera's son's first name? Now we do: Jacen. And, she has a bigger role here than the previous two books.
Not as much over-detail about the ships and battles, a little easier to figure out which char is which.
Another same-sex couple (actually, two IIRC) which is no big deal here.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I'll put the spoilers in the Spoilers link so I don't spoil Alexander Freed's third-in-a-trilogy Victory’s Price. I found it to be the best of those three books, by far. ... hmm, this new "spoiler" feature is different...
I’ve been reluctant to jump into this series since it looked very similar to the animated Resistance show that just didn’t float my boat. Given that the Rogue Squadron books of the old EU were my favorite novels has me both curious about a new “squadron” series but also apprehensive since the current EU just hasn’t been as well written or as engaging. Kinda like the most recent trilogy….

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I’ve been reluctant to jump into this series since it looked very similar to the animated Resistance show that just didn’t float my boat. Given that the Rogue Squadron books of the old EU were my favorite novels has me both curious about a new “squadron” series but also apprehensive since the current EU just hasn’t been as well written or as engaging. Kinda like the most recent trilogy….
In his acknowledgements, Freed mentions the old X-Wing novelists (Stackpole, Allston) as his influences. I think this trilogy, now that all three books are out, would be one you'd like, DarkJedi.

(p.s. My "reply" got messed up, so sorry for the double naming... which now shows up as me included in DJ's quote. Weird.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I've had two Chose Your Destiny books on my shelf, unread; now, one of them has been read. By me. Cavan Scott is a pretty good YA-level writer, but Chose Your Destiny: An Obi-Wan & Anakin Adventure tried too hard to recapture their banter and bickering. The story wasn't that strong either. I usually hold the pages with my fingers, where I made a choice, so I know where to return and choose the other option: for some reason, I ran out of fingers this time! I hope the Finn and Poe book is better than this one.