The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
The final book in this trilogy, Thrawn Ascendancy: Lesser Evil by Timothy Zahn was... long. There's not much to "spoil" here, but in case, I'll use the feature.
The final battle was okay: only somewhat predictable (the floating asteroids from the Heir to the Empire trilogy sort of make a return, allies that join up during the fighting turn the tide). We find that Thrawn is known as an "ungimbaled laser" (read: loose cannon?). The phrase "three, two, one" was used SO MUCH as a countdown, I think the book'd be 100 pages shorter if they were removed. Learning how Thrawn gets his entire name was interesting, but how he ends up exiled (as first shown in the Marvel Thrawn comic series) makes more sense now. Overall, it was a good Zahn book, but not a great one.

[edit: 12/22] The previous story collections by George Mann (but this one is co-written by Cavan Scott) were pretty good, but the Life Day Treasury is the best of them so far. Some include established characters named and presumed (like Han, Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, High Republic figures, etc.), but all have the central theme of the positive nature of gathering events, across the galaxy. Any could be read as "bedtime stories," but they have a realistic aspect (even for the SW universe) that offer nice life lessons and morals. Grant Griffin's art is superb, as well.

[edit: 12/25] On this Christmas Day, Ian Doescher's I Wish I Had a Wookiee: And Other Poems for Our Galaxy was nice. Shifting points of view (children, their parents and friends or relatives, characters from the SW universe, etc.) and ALWAYS rhyming, there are often funny and usually sentimental. The artwork is similar in style to Jeffrey Brown's Vader and... books.

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Except for one I'm not sure if I had on the "old" list (LISTS... ) in this thread from 2021, here are books with listed release dates for 2022 (and some of those dates actually stay then). Paperbacks used to be "cheap" versions of the hardcover ones; not anymore!

8/16/22: The Padawan Cookbook: Kid-Friendly Recipes from a Galaxy Far, Far Away (hardcover by Jenn Fujikawa, Liz Lee Heinecke)
7/26/22: Star Wars Padawan (hardcover by Kiersten White)
7/12/22: Be More Obi-Wan: Navigate Your World with Wit and Wisdom (hardcover by Kelly Knox)
6/28/22: Shadow of the Sith (hardcover by Adam Christopher)
6/28/22: The Art of Star Wars: Visions (hardcover by Lucasfilm Ltd.)
6/14/22: Star Wars: Galactic Baking Gift Set: The Official Cookbook of Sweet and Savory Treats from Tatooine, Hoth, and Beyond (hardcover? by Insight Editions)
5/24/22: LEGO Star Wars Awesome Vehicles: With Poe Dameron Minifigure and Accessory (hardcover by Simon Hugo)
5/10/22: I Am Your Father: Lessons for Parents, Protectors, and Mentors (hardcover by Dan Zehr, Amy Richau)
5/10/22: Brotherhood (hardcover by Mike Chen)
5/9/22: Introducing Philosophy Through Pop Culture: From Socrates to Star Wars and Beyond (paperback by editors William Irwin, David Kyle Johnson)
5/3/22: The Mini Book of Lightsabers: (Lightsaber Collection, Lightsaber Guide, Gifts for Star Wars fans) (hardcover by Insight Editions)
5/3/22: The Unofficial Star Wars-Inspired Book of Cocktails: Drinks from a Bar Far, Far Away (hardcover by Rhiannon Lee, Georgie Glass Photographer)
5/3/22: The Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (hardcover by Golden Books)
5/3/22: The Bad Batch: Hunted! Screen Comix (paperback by RH Disney)
4/12/22: The Tiny Book of Legendary Women (hardcover by Insight Editions)
4/5/22: Essential Legends Collection books (paperbacks: Wedge’s Gamble, Kenobi, Darth Plagueis, Dynasty of Evil)
3/1/22: Tempest Runner (hardcover by Cavan Scott)
2/22/22: Star Wars Insider Presents: Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season Two Collectors Ed Vol.1 (paperback by Titan Magazine)
2/22/22: Thrawn Ascendancy (paperback by Timothy Zahn… $18?!?)
2/15/22: The Art of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season Two (hardcover by Phil Szostak, Doug Chiang Foreword)
2/8/22: Inner Jedi: A Guided Journal for Training in the Light Side of the Force (hardcover by Insight Editions)
2/1/22: The Battle for Starlight Star Wars: The High Republic (paperback by George Mann)
2/1/22: Mission to Disaster Star Wars: The High Republic (hardcover by Justina Ireland, Petur Antonsson Illustrator)
2/1/22: Midnight Horizon Star Wars: The High Republic (hardcover by Daniel Older)
1/25/22: Star Wars Adventures: Ghosts of Vader's Castle (paperback by Cavan Scott, illustrators Francesco Francavilla, Megan Levens, Robert Hack, Chris Fenoglio)
1/25/22: The Galaxy's Greatest Heroes (paperback by Titan Comics)
1/11/22: Tribute to Star Wars (hardcover by LucasFilm)
1/11/22: Jedi Artifacts: Treasures From a Galaxy Far, Far Away (hardcover? by Insight Editions)
1/11/22: The Mandalorian: The Mandalorian's Quest (paperback by Brooke Vitale)
1/11/22: Yoda One for Me: A Little Book of Love from a Galaxy Far, Far Away (hardcover by LucasFilm Ltd.)
1/4/22: The Fallen Star Star Wars: The High Republic (hardcover by Claudia Gray)
1/4/22: The Rising Storm Star Wars: The High Republic (by Cavan Scott… $17?!?)
1/4/22: The Story of the Faithful Wookiee (hardcover by Golden Books)
12/7/21: Be More Boba Fett: Always Get the Job Done (hardcover by Joseph Jay Franco)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
My last book read of 2021, Emma Mieko Candon's Ronin: A Visions Novel, was... not so good. Based on the streaming series Star Wars Visions, it places the SW universe in a form of medieval Japan (where the imagery of Vader's armor and the concepts of Jedi warriors came from George Lucas' mind). It's possible that this book has the word "kill" included in it more than any SW novel ever (and confusion over whether characters are dead, brought back from the dead, are just voices or ghosts who appear whenever). I cannot recall a SW book that I wanted to finish reading faster than this one (maybe it was to get it in before 2022 arrived?) because I couldn't follow it easily, the dialogue shifted from formal to slang then to character's themselves shifting from those two, brought in too much 21st century Earth, it appeared video game-esque in its plot and dialogue, and worst of all didn't really feel part of the established universe (even despite its Visions offshoot concept) except that there were lightsabers and hyperspace and ships and blasters.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
My last book read of 2021, Emma Mieko Candon's Ronin: A Visions Novel, was... not so good. Based on the streaming series Star Wars Visions, it places the SW universe in a form of medieval Japan (where the imagery of Vader's armor and the concepts of Jedi warriors came from George Lucas' mind). It's possible that this book has the word "kill" included in it more than any SW novel ever (and confusion over whether characters are dead, brought back from the dead, are just voices or ghosts who appear whenever). I cannot recall a SW book that I wanted to finish reading faster than this one (maybe it was to get it in before 2022 arrived?) because I couldn't follow it easily, the dialogue shifted from formal to slang then to character's themselves shifting from those two, brought in too much 21st century Earth, it appeared video game-esque in its plot and dialogue, and worst of all didn't really feel part of the established universe (even despite its Visions offshoot concept) except that there were lightsabers and hyperspace and ships and blasters.
BC, we're on the same page with Ronin. I had high hopes for this book, and I enjoyed the Visions anime. But I am struggling to get through it. I started it a few days before Christmas and still haven't gotten past page 100!

IMHO, it's poorly written. Some of the characters using different personal pronouns is confusing. I find myself thinking, who is this? Is it this character or that character?

If I find the newest High Republic novel this weekend, Ronin is gonna get set to the side.