The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
Scoundrels? Now that's a [title] I haven't heard in a long time, a long time.

I have come to realize that "SW is forever," that old slogan, has come to mean things will change as the world changes. That's not a bad thing. But the complete disregard for established ideas, terms, histories, locations, and more do not make for solid writing. Oh well. Awesome that you got to attend, OC!
I started Scoundrels years ago but didn't finish it for some reason.

I bought it, Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Knight Errant for my summer travel reading.

I received a copy of Stories of Jedi and Sith for my birthday. Got some $$ so I can pick up Brotherhood.

And I realize when I was speaking to these kids (no insult intended) that they may not realize the established rules like you and I know, BC.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
After 468 pages, I have now finished Shadow of the Sith by Adam Christopher. Spoilers below.

Well, overall the book was slow; some long SW books still read with the action of a film, but this wasn't one of those. Lando is actually the most developed character here: his 6-year-missing daughter Kadara Calrissian is his obsession, for obvious reasons, as he blames himself and wonders if he'll even recognize her when he finds her.
El Chuxter here mentioned that the author had a Kenner Mini Rig reference; that scene with the CAP-2 was okay.
The name Ochi "of Bestoon" is never truly explained (characters even question if it's a planet or a title or just something made up), so I predict a comic or other novel that'll do so. His knife was detailed well.
The FO officer Pryde is fairly-well featured here.
The Sith and pawns of the Sith are only so-so, and the planets or moons were they act are confusing. No mention of any Sith connections to Ben Solo here.
Learning about Rey's parents, Dathar (a sort-of clone of Palpatine) and his wife Miramir, adds to Rey's story well and they come off as strong characters.
Overall, it was just okay; I think it could have been better if it were shorter with tighter descriptions.

[edit: 7/13] The next in the little advice books, I Am Your Father isn't as vague as the others. And normally that'd be a positive. But here, the same quote on the left-facing page is the same on reworded on the right (and often a brief summary of the movie/video game/cartoon scene from that quote); they are also a bit too connected to SW rather than "our galaxy." The title makes it a possible gift for children or parent, I suppose.

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Another long book, but this one's a chronology of the history of SW: Edward Gross & Mark A. Altman co-authors of Secrets of the Force. I've read a few books that use interviews by people (often not interviewed by the editor(s) but published elsewhere) involved with certain programs or groups, compiling them into what usually is a central "story." Each chapter is basically one of the films (ANH gets more, as the start of it all; and the others like streaming TV or the '84-'98 era). I enjoyed learning about those Lucasfilm creations that haven't been published much or at all (Mandalorian, Holiday Special, Disney trilogy and purchase of the franchise).

[edit: 8/13] Back to fiction in this thread: another YA novel, Padawan by Kiersten White. Set prior to E1, when Obi-Wan hasn't been Qui-Gon's apprentice for long. Kenobi takes a shuttle and an R2 unit, following some clues from [spoiler in white font: High Republic-era Jedi Wayseeker Orla Jareni] to a world [spoiler: that reminds me of NJO-era living planet Zonoma Sekot, but I doubt it'll turn out to be it; its name is Lenahra)]. His time on Coruscant with his fellow padawans was just okay, and he is more of just a younger version of snarky, talkative Obi-Wan while he's on the other planet. Weirdest part of the book: LOTS of blank pages in this 410-page book between chapters. Best part: the Obi-Wan quote: "Oh, I'll never have a Padawan as bad as I am."

Last edited: