The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I am curious how the other hardcover novels will go (virtually all in the post-ROJ era).
Heir to the Jedi is post-ANH, Lords of the Sith is post-ROTS, and Dark Disciple is based on scripts from The Clone Wars Season Seven. No further novels have been announced yet, unless I'm missing something. Which post-ROTJ ones do you mean?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Some new additions and updates...

4/7/15: LEGO Star Wars in 100 Scenes (DK Publishing, hardcover)
4/28/15: Ultimate Star Wars (Ryder Windham, hardcover)
6/30/15: Jedi Academy The Phantom Bully (Jeffrey Brown, hardcover)
7/7/15: Star Wars Rebels Original Novel #3 (Jason Fry, paperback)
10/6/15: Star Wars Rebels Original Novel #4 (Jason Fry, paperback… and I still love the original title)

Apr 28, 2013
Picked up and currently reading Heir to the Jedi. Since the weather's been crappy here, I was hoping to be anti-social and read it on a snow day but no luck.

Didn't know until a few weeks ago that the book was written in first person. Not a huge fan of that style but I am enjoying it. I'd best describe the overall book as a coming of age/discovery story.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Picked up and currently reading Heir to the Jedi. Since the weather's been crappy here, I was hoping to be anti-social and read it on a snow day but no luck.

Didn't know until a few weeks ago that the book was written in first person. Not a huge fan of that style but I am enjoying it. I'd best describe the overall book as a coming of age/discovery story.
I recall one of the preview chapters in another book had that POV. I found it incompatible with the Luke we'd come to know from the films.

I have yet to pick up the book myself, but it'll be sometime soon.

Apr 28, 2013
There's enough dialogue and interaction with other characters that the POV isn't that bad.

Found my copy at WM on Tuesday, release day! I was kinda shocked.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Journey to The Force Awakens is the name for the publishing lead-up to the new film. I posted an article with relevant details, and Entertainment Weekly has the whole thing.

In addition to several books focused on the OT, and a handful of YA novels, there's one novel, Star Wars: Aftermath. Barnes & Noble posted what appears to be a synopsis:
The second Death Star is destroyed. The Emperor and his powerful enforcer, Darth Vader, are rumored to be dead. The Galactic Empire is in chaos.
Across the galaxy, some systems celebrate, while in others Imperial factions tighten their grip. Optimism and fear reign side by side.
And while the Rebel Alliance engages the fractured forces of the Empire, a lone Rebel scout uncovers a secret Imperial meeting...
If nothing else, this should give a slight glimpse into the state of the galaxy after ROTJ.

OC47151 said:

I've heard mixed things about this book, but I'll probably check it out in a few weeks. Glad to hear you're liking it so far.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I have now read the first chapter. I'll withhold my views until I've read more, to make an honest assessment.
I am about 2/3 of the way through, and I'll post my as-yet-to-finish comments in light font below:

This has the potential to be THE WORST STAR WARS FICTION BOOK EVER. EVER. That includes Shadows of Mindor, Crystal Star, Jedi Trial; all of which were quite terrible. I'll wait (again) until I'm done to say why, but it ain't lookin' good in the meantime.

Less than 100 pages left to go.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Club Jade, via translating Jedi Bibliothek, revealed that SW newcomer Chuck Wendig will write Aftermath.

They also posted some synopses for the YA novels.

Lost Stars by Claudia Gray:
This thrilling Young Adult novel gives readers a macro view of some of the most important events in the Star Wars universe, from the rise of the Rebellion to the fall of the Empire. Readers will experience these major moments through the eyes of two childhood friends-Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell-who have grown up to become an Imperial officer and a Rebel pilot. Now on opposite sides of the war, will these two star-crossed lovers reunite, or will duty tear them-and the galaxy-apart?
The Weapon of a Jedi by Jason Fry:
Set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, the story finds Luke Skywalker, C-3PO, and R2-D2 stranded on a mysterious planet, and explores Luke’s first-ever duel with a lightsaber.
Moving Target by Cecil Castellucci:
Set between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, the story follows the warrior princess as she leads a ragtag group of rebels on a dangerous mission against the evil Galactic Empire.
Smuggler's Run by Greg Rucka:
Set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, the story follows everyone’s favorite pair of smugglers as they fly the Millennium Falcon on a top-secret mission for the Rebellion.
I wonder how hard Lost Stars will play the romance angle, since it pretty much sounds like Romeo and Juliet in Space.

Does Luke's quick brush with Vader in the Marvel comics count as his "first-ever duel with a lightsaber," or was that too brief? They're covering the post-ANH era pretty thoroughly already. Moving Target is the first post-ESB content in the new canon, as far as I can tell.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Greg Rucka is the only one I'm familiar with. He's a definite plus.

I assume "the warrior princess" from Moving Target is Leia, right? I'm always iffy about putting more events between ESB and ROTJ for the main cast. SOTE was even pushing it, but at least it wasn't the ridiculous three years of "We found Boba Fett, who still hasn't gone to Jabba, so let's get Han ba--DAMN! Boba got away again! Let's focus on some unrelated adventure now until someone tracks down Boba again" BS of the Marvel comic. (I can see why they had to do that to keep the focus on the main characters, but it was still stupid.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I assume "the warrior princess" from Moving Target is Leia, right? I'm always iffy about putting more events between ESB and ROTJ for the main cast. SOTE was even pushing it, but at least it wasn't the ridiculous three years of "We found Boba Fett, who still hasn't gone to Jabba, so let's get Han ba--DAMN! Boba got away again! Let's focus on some unrelated adventure now until someone tracks down Boba again" BS of the Marvel comic. (I can see why they had to do that to keep the focus on the main characters, but it was still stupid.)
Yeah, it's Leia. These three (aside from Lost Stars) are meant to re-introduce the OT characters to the YA audience.

I wonder how they'll deal with the post-ESB period in the new canon. Obviously, it's a blank slate now, but they can't just sit around for a year waiting for Han. Maybe Luke's just a really slow planner. :p

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I have now read ALL 24 CHAPTERS, INCLUDING the first chapter. I'll withhold my views until I've read more, to make an honest assessment.
Again, I'll change the font (size and slightly-darker light color) for my comments, in case others haven't read it all yet. Most of this post is from another place where I've reviewed books.

SPOILERS (somewhat) BELOW

I've read virtually all of the SW Expanded Universe books since Splinter of the Mind's Eye and beyond, and I think I've been an EU apologist over that span, giving books credit for effort, finding positives even if it's not that good of a story, characterization, description, or development. With that said, I have to say this is the worst Star Wars book I have ever read. Why I say that, is aside from using character names, technologies, and places, it is NOT Star Wars. Worst part is a "Luke" that rarely speaks like Luke Skywalker does; his vocabulary is excessively loquacious and infused with diction incongruous with pre-established norms for his persona. Luke mentions a "political song" he recalled hearing, even though was pulled by the Empire "mere days after its release;" as a farmboy on Tatooine, with its galactic isolated status? Here are some other terms mentioned, with any former-EU terms (listed after in parenthesis): bathroom (refresher), Galactic Standard (Basic; the term Luke would likely use himself), noodles, nuggets, garlic, peanuts, cookie, underwear, breakfast buffet, malicious code, polymer glass (transparisteel); but caf did make a return. I did feel some connections to the non-established characters, but it did not have the "Star Wars feel" to it, and the obsession with mathematics (yes, that was established with Givin before) just gave it a sci-fi vibe, not the space opera motif this series has excelled in for three+ decades. If this is a harbinger for future Disney-owned books, I fear for the franchise, and this disappoints me terribly as I don't want to feel so.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Oof, that sounds really bad. The thing about the song is very modern, very internet-age. The thing about the language is unacceptable. It sounds like they rushed out a book because of the well-known author, and really missed the point of being Star Wars. The Amazon reviews are pretty rough too.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Oof, that sounds really bad. The thing about the song is very modern, very internet-age. The thing about the language is unacceptable. It sounds like they rushed out a book because of the well-known author, and really missed the point of being Star Wars. The Amazon reviews are pretty rough too.
And he's a "well-known author"? Guess I shan't be reading any of his "known" works. :( I did get the 'Net-age vibe throughout it, yes.

Apr 28, 2013
And he's a "well-known author"? Guess I shan't be reading any of his "known" works. :( I did get the 'Net-age vibe throughout it, yes.
I'm not familiar with him, but since we're getting 20 new books or more this year, I expect we'll be introduced to a few other "well known' authors weren't not familiar with.

I came across a word I hadn't seen in the SW universe before in Heir of the Jedi: negligee. Without flipping through the book again, I can't remember where I saw it other than somewhere in the middle.

Like Bel Cam, I've had an issue with some of the familiar SW terms not being used/utilized (refresher) but I can live with that. You'd think when an author sits down with the Lucasfilm publishing folks for the first time, the writer is handed a commonly used phrase list like caf, refresher, etc... But maybe not.

I viewed HOTJ as three different adventures, with the Givin tale being the longest. That story alone could've been reduced to a YA story very easily. The mathematics was a little much. The basic premise for the story was good but definitely could've been improved on.
As I stated before, I'm not crazy about first-person stories. I think if there was more character development, and the story told from other angles, it would improve it.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I want to know if the Tim O'Brien credited in many early EU books is THE Tim O'Brien who wrote Going After Cacciato. If so, why has he never written a Star Wars book.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I want to know if the Tim O'Brien credited in many early EU books is THE Tim O'Brien who wrote Going After Cacciato. If so, why has he never written a Star Wars book.
Which EU books are you referring to? The quick search I did found "Timothy S. O'Brien" with some West End Games writing. I doubt it's the same as the The Things They Carried author who sets most of his works in the era of the Vietnam WAR, rather than the STAR ones.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
If this is a harbinger for future Disney-owned books, I fear for the franchise, and this disappoints me terribly as I don't want to feel so.
It's worth remembering that this book was announced before the Disney sale and was thus not originally meant to be representative of the post-Disney era. It was meant as part of a trilogy with books focusing on Han and Leia, called the Empire and Rebellion series (Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves); the second book in the series was released a month before the new canon announcement, and work merely proceeded on the Luke entry and it was sort of just shuffled to the new canon.

Lately, I've read a few interviews with Shelly Shapiro, the Del Rey editor in charge of the SW line; I'm not sure how long she's held that position, but it's been at least since at least the New Jedi Order series launched 16 years ago. Her approach to the new novels is pretty much the same as it was for the old ones, for good or for bad; it's really only the involvement of the story group that's changed anything, keeping the books more in line with the other content and not relegating them to their own sphere. She still looks for a combination of authors both new and familiar to the franchise, focusing on ones who are excited about SW. She was really excited by Kevin Hearne's other first-person work, and it was her call to put the novel in first-person when his third-person drafts weren't as good as she hoped.

If they're changing the terminology that was established in the EU, I'm just bothered that they're keeping "caf" (which we've known for a while) since it always strikes me as needlessly silly.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
StarWars.com wrote a little about Aftermath, confirming that Chuck Wendig will write it. It reveals that it is "the first book in a trilogy that begins to bridge the Star Wars timeline between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens."

The synopsis is close to the one from Barnes & Noble, but we now know a bit more:
The second Death Star has been destroyed. Rumors are flying that the Emperor and his enforcer, Darth Vader, are dead. A new government is forming to replace the Empire. But the galaxy is a big place, and the fallout of this cataclysm will affect different worlds in different ways. Does everyone accept the fall of Imperial rule? Has everyone even heard the life-altering news? What rushes in to fill the vacuum the Empire has left? And who will try to stop them?
I wonder if the new government will be an attempt at a New Republic?

The book will focus mainly on new characters with a "fan favorite from the films" and won't spoil TFA but will include elements that will have added relevance after seeing the new film.