The "other" SW canonical fiction Thread

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Random House has released the synopsis for Christie Golden's Dark Disciple, based on unproduced TCW scripts:

The only way to bring down the dark side’s most dangerous warrior may be for Jedi and Sith to join forces.

In the war for control of the galaxy between the armies of the dark side and the Republic, former Jedi Master turned ruthless Sith Lord Count Dooku has grown ever more brutal in his tactics. Despite the powers of the Jedi and the military prowess of their clone army, the sheer number of fatalities is taking a terrible toll. And when Dooku orders the massacre of a flotilla of helpless refugees, the Jedi Council feels it has no choice but to take drastic action: targeting the man responsible for so many war atrocities, Count Dooku himself.

But the ever-elusive Dooku is dangerous prey for even the most skilled hunter. So the Council makes the bold decision to bring both sides of the Force’s power to bear—pairing brash Jedi Knight Quinlan Vos with infamous one-time Sith acolyte Asajj Ventress. Though Jedi distrust for the cunning killer who once served at Dooku’s side still runs deep, Ventress’s hatred for her former master runs deeper. She’s more than willing to lend her copious talents as a bounty hunter—and assassin—to Vos’s quest.

Together, Ventress and Vos are the best hope for eliminating Dooku—as long as the emerging feelings between them don’t compromise their mission. But Ventress is determined to have her retribution and at last let go of her dark Sith past. Balancing the complicated emotions she feels for Vos with the fury of her warrior’s spirit, she resolves to claim victory on all fronts—a vow that will be mercilessly tested by her deadly enemy . . . and her own doubt.
There's a lot of interesting ground to cover here, so hopefully it isn't all left aside in favor of their burgeoning romance . . .

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
So Quinlan doesn't end up raising his kid on Kashyyyk in the EnU, I guess. Makes the place a little less crowded for the Marek family, if they still exist. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
The second book in the Servants of the Empire series, Rebel in the Ranks, was okay. It expanded the SW Rebels episode where Ezra infiltrated the Imperial academy. A little more information (but of course, not TOO much more) about Zare's missing sister. Still too much of earth stuff (selling raffle tickets as a fund raiser, restroom/bathroom instead of refresher, the phrase "Lothal-cat got your tongue?" etc.) for a SW book for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Lords of the Sith came out today, and the reviews I've seen are pretty mixed, with most agreeing the first half is better than the second. It apparently mostly focuses on Cham Syndulla and the Free Ryloth movement, so the title might be a little misleading, but it sounds like a similar situation to Kenobi in this regard.

I planned to pick it up at Barnes & Noble today for upcoming subway entertainment but they weren't carrying it. I'm in a Lando kind of mood after his appearances on Rebels and the announcement of his Marvel comic so I got the Legends reprint of the Lando Calrissian Adventures instead; $8 for three books ain't half bad.

Apr 28, 2013
I picked up Lords of the Sith at WM last night.

Have about 50 or less pages remaining in the LC and the Mindharp of Sharu story.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I haven't even finished the first chapter (oddly "long" for an opening SW chp.), but there's been a Hera mention. I recall this from all the end-of-book previews in the past months, and it seems to be following the same wording, as near as I can tell.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Have about 50 or less pages remaining in the LC and the Mindharp of Sharu story.
How did you like this one? I finished it last week and just started the Flamewind of Oseon today. It's definitely from a time when the Star Wars universe as a whole was less defined, which makes for some very bizarre moments. I enjoyed Lando's characterization for the most part, but his never-ending supply of vaguely insulting nicknames had as many misses as it had hits.

In an odd coincidence, I had read the scene with Vuffi Raa shrinking in size (or at least, appearing to) the same week that I watched the Droids episode where R2-D2 shrinks in size . . . I guess SW creators in the '80s were big on Alice in Wonderland-style hijinks.

Apr 28, 2013
I'm going to preface this by saying, I hadn't read the LC adventures before, whereas the Han Solo adventures I've read three or four times over the years.

The Sharu story was definitely different but that's not a good thing or a bad thing. It was just different. In addition to be written before the SW universe was established, it was written before the SW rules/guidelines were established, which makes it different. Some of the basis SW themes (Imperials, CorSec) are more present in the Han Solo stories than the Lando stories.

The earlier part of the story held my attention more than the section when they were inside the temple/pyramid. Vuffi Raa was an interesting character.

I will get around to reading the other Lando stories...eventually. I have a road trip this weekend, so Lando may be my co-pilot.

I finished HS and the Lost Legacy, which I started at Celebration Anaheim. Another nice trip down memory lane.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I'm two chapters from finishing Lords of the Sith. I think I know how it'll end, but we'll see in two chapters. However, it may contain the first (only?) reference to same-sex relationships in the SW universe. I have noticed three errors (buttom instead of button, a missing period, an -ed verb that should've been an -ing one), too.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I'm two chapters from finishing Lords of the Sith. I think I know how it'll end, but we'll see in two chapters. However, it may contain the first (only?) reference to same-sex relationships in the SW universe. I have noticed three errors (buttom instead of button, a missing period, an -ed verb that should've been an -ing one), too.
It was okay. Best parts involve setting up the characterizations of Vader and the Emperor for the OT films. Other parts were decent but not spectacular. Good to see that THAT aspect of the Expanded Universe hasn't gone away! :rolleyes: And I was right about how it would end (with two nods to some Prequel scenes I didn't guess).

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Just read through SW Kanan 1 and 2, and I was unimpressed. There's very little in this story about anybody really, and the timeline of Depa's work with Caleb seems like an ill fit, trying to force Shatterpoint as a thing just to get her here quickly seems so bizarre - I'd rather they not even try to go there. The rest is very decompressed and dull, then coincidental and deus ex machina. It just felt like it squandered a vital opportunity to really get into the dynamic between Depa and Caleb, and without that it's hollow and obvious so far.

The art quality is a little come-and-go, but the style feels generic to me anyway so it didn't really take me out of anything.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Waaaaaaaait.... So now they're saying Shatterpoint happened, but Depa "got better"?

As much as I like that book, it'd be better to chuck it if she's Kanan's Master.

Apr 28, 2013
How did you like this one? I finished it last week and just started the Flamewind of Oseon today. It's definitely from a time when the Star Wars universe as a whole was less defined, which makes for some very bizarre moments. I enjoyed Lando's characterization for the most part, but his never-ending supply of vaguely insulting nicknames had as many misses as it had hits.

In an odd coincidence, I had read the scene with Vuffi Raa shrinking in size (or at least, appearing to) the same week that I watched the Droids episode where R2-D2 shrinks in size . . . I guess SW creators in the '80s were big on Alice in Wonderland-style hijinks.
I'm halfway through Flamewind and really liking it. Overall, I think the story is better than Mindharp of Sharu. There's more intrigue and substance in general to the story.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Waaaaaaaait.... So now they're saying Shatterpoint happened, but Depa "got better"?

As much as I like that book, it'd be better to chuck it if she's Kanan's Master.
They indeed are saying that, and yeah, that she got better. And I totally agree that they should have just sent it to the Legends pile if they were going to do this.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
"Depa! Good to have you back! Man, I was so worried about you. Mace said you went nuts and tried to commit genocide, and wound up catatonic and would probably never recover, much less return to being a Jedi Master. It's amazing what a few weeks' rest will do, huh? Come on; we all trust you implicitly because you sure wouldn't go crazy and try to kill fellow Jedi again."

:D

I will now insist that the Medstar Duology is also now fully canon, and Barriss comes from a species that ages in a nonlinear fashion, thus requiring her to occasionally have to return to being a padawan, because some days she regresses by as many as six or seven years overnight. Also everyone forgave her the very next day for whatever evil she did toward the end of Clone Wars, and she became one of the most respected Jedi healers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
El Chuxter said:

The comic really isn't as explicit as it seems. Kanan's exact wording is, "Then a few months ago, Master Billaba emerged from––well, whatever it is she emerged from." The enemy general mentions that their intelligence said she was "unstable," and mentions that now that intelligence is suspect. That's enough for people to interpret it as the events of Shatterpoint if they want, but I think it's vague enough that LFL could still tell another story about her if they chose to. I interpreted the general's line about the suspect intelligence as a nod to that story no longer being canon. I'm still more bothered by the fact that Kanan refers to her as a member of the Jedi Council when she's definitely not on the Council in ROTS, but oh well.

I'm halfway through Flamewind and really liking it. Overall, I think the story is better than Mindharp of Sharu. There's more intrigue and substance in general to the story.
I'm only a little of the way through since I wanted to take a small break after Mindharp; I'm at the point where Lando's only been in jail for a little bit, but I do like the element of mystery. If nothing else, I'm sad that whatever slight opportunity for a Vuffi Raa Hasbro figure has likely passed, as I quite like this funny little droid.

Apr 28, 2013
These new books are geared toward younger readers, which could be used to explain the additional background.

To be honest, I will probably read them, just out of curiosity.