Transformers: Energon & Beyond

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Congrats on finding Sky Shadow! It's weird how many esoteric characters they're redoing lately. I think I'm going to hold off and get Overlord instead, but it's good to hear.

What is with substandard jet modes lately? :p

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
There were two Black(/Sky) Shadows at Target in Redlands today. When I left, there was one. :) I was going to pass since I have the last one, don't know the character well, and he died in his first IDW appearance. But he looked sweet, and the idea of having all three Phase Sixers in the same scale was too tempting.

I got Broadside, too, because there was no other toy there I wanted, but I wanted the $10 off $50.

Also, JT, we're old. My youngest is way past the "toys in the mouth" age. Get offa my lawn!

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
I've only opened up one of the aforementioned acquisitions but Kup is Triggerhappy level of amazement! It boasts an exceptional level of design with the back of the truck, rear and front tires and side panels being "mass shifted" into the legs when transformed into bot mode.

I can't believe the new movie deluxes are $20!!!??? (not that I'm looking to get any of them)

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Who else belongs in the Triggerhappy Tier? Topspin! Being that the G1 version was just a spring loaded gimmick transformation, this is like a Masterpiece version. The legs fold in similar fashion like all the Combiner Wars planes but the body has a similar twist and rotate transformation like Triggerhappy. With the arms, the hands rotate inward which is standard but the elbow joints also fold inward.

Both Topspin and Kup I would give a A. Kup gets a slight edge because the vehicle mode can accommodate 3 Titan Masters. One as driver and two can be pegged into the truck bed. In addition, there are pegs for the weapons on the truck bed so you can have two gunners.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Target has a sale on Transformers this week. $12.99 for deluxes and 10% off all other scales.

After eyeing and being on the fence about Grimlock for weeks, I finally decided to get one. While it suffers a bit in areas to accommodate being a combiner torso, it tuned out better than I expected.

I may go back for Dreadwind as well which I had been avoiding due to having bought that mold so many times over during the Combiner Wars line.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
All the POTP Deluxes at my Target were sold out already. I have no temptation to get the Prime Masters, this despite buying nearly all the Titan Masters, what a shift.

I have Grimlock, Jazz, Swoop, and Slug, and they're all a big step down after Titans Returns molds, but they have some charm. There's a lot of dislike for Jazz but I kinda like the figure, it's unique for a combiner deluxe.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I picked up Prime Masters Micronus and Vector Prime on the Target sale, basically "I'm sick, I should at least have little things to mess with". They're a little better than I expected, but there's not much to them, and the other designs really haven't caught my interest, they don't look good in gun mode, and I don't care enough about pretender modes.

There's now going to be 3 lines of movie figures for a movie series that's been canceled. :p The new Studio Series is really meh every time I see it aside from Blackout, there's plenty of new molds intermixed with older molds, but none of them do anything for me, they don't look that much better than the originals.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I love blackout! Glad to see you appreciate it too JT " other than blackout..." ( disillusionment follows ).

Unless there is an awesome movie,
I still pretty much stand with only having interest in buying duplicates of LC or masterpiece Galvatron cyclonus and Scourge.

I'm a fan of the Autobots in character but I just have a lot of them and need more Decepticons.

I still might buy a second Devastator from the Titan size. I use mine as scrapper Long Haul Etc to build my armies for dioramas. Whenever I get around to making those dioramas in about 12 years. Seriously. I'm all about doing Star Wars for the next decade and then just continuing with Star Wars but making one Transformers and Terminator room.

But the extra Devastator would be to have this big fight with Grimlock and which would make me need another Grimlock.

But I loved combiner Wars and got everything I really always wanted like Defensor and multiple protectobots during that run. It was a great moment for Transformers for my personal taste.

And the Combaticons and stunticons!

I will repeat myself just to be absolutely clear: I love the combiner wars toys!

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
I bought Rodimus and it’s ridiculous the amount of parts forming that goes with this mold. Still waiting to find Snarl, Sludge, Rippersnapper and probably Moonracer as well.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Unicron is coming.

And I imagine he's cutting my pull list by quite a few titles.

I'm open to change, but, really, rebooting to the old Cybertronian War status quo after years of postwar stories would feel like a massive step backwards. (And most of the other IDW titles I'm following, I'm following just because they tie in to TF.)

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I found Studio Series Blackout and bought him. This is a frustrating figure, he's a head shorter than Leader Class Megatron from The Last Knight, who isn't particularly tall himself. They justify this with a lot of bulk, but his head is only as tall as a Voyager Class which is $20 cheaper. Also, while the sculpting is really good, there's a ton of panels and not all of them fit, leading to issues in both modes. They also put a lot of kibble on the forearms, and hid a panel under the feet which is insane. And the vehicle mode is open from the back and underside. This is a bit of a mixed bag.

I found Power of the Primes Snarl and Sludge, so now my Volcanicus is complete, my Dinobots are a team. Each has charm, Sludge has a few more small dings against his charms than Snarl, but both are decent, and now Volcanicus can integrate their fist weapons into his torso so he doesn't look so skinny. Grimlock's hips are still terrible, though, so standing is awkward.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I am considering getting the small (Insecticon) size Velociraptor (Slash I think). It's kind of cool to chase around my humans from the Human Alliance figures, or maybe that Slash is more Deluxe BumbleBee size?

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I found all the stuff today - and left it. I'm not sure. I think I will buy 1 instead of 2 Blackouts. Maybe I'll see him at Comic Con and better judge the helicopter size by then? It seems like they have messed with the scale sizes all over again and new purchases for the whole cast could be required. I don't want to play that game. 3rd party Blackouts might still be larger. I have to check YouTube. I wish robot mode was larger. But maybe this might work...hmmm.

Stinger was also smaller than I wanted, and the Dread (suburban) is not something I spent any time looking at. But next time I will.