Transformers: Energon & Beyond

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I've seen some Wave 2 stuff. I found all the Deluxes, but literally only once.

I've never seen any Wave 2 or 3 Prime Masters. I'm especially worried because some Hasbro numbskull put frigging Bludgeon in Wave 3, and he's the only oNE a lot of people will want.

JT, I'm not sure that PotP is a snore exactly, but continually seeing only Swoop, Rippersnapper, and Skullgrin got really old, really fast. I actually thought I'd spend a lot more on this line; I just can't find most of it.

Adam

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
North Dallas
Visit site
*Finally* was able to get potp wave 2 deluxes off of hasbro toy shop. Volcaninus is ok? The stock torso mode is not good, but I think the upcoming third party upgrade for it looks good. I haven't bought anything third party for almost a year so I guess I can dip back into that pool a little.

Moonracer is weird but I kinda like her. Blackwing would be great but he just feels cheap. He's almost loosey-goosey, to the point of annoyance. I like the mold changes but it might be time to retire that bit of combiner wars.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Jamming a pair of hands into the torso (which it's designed to do, there are pegholes specifically for this use and nothing else) does help with the sadness of the torso mode, but yeah it's rough sailing for a $25 figure.

I'm surprised how quickly wave 2 came and went, I saw Moonracer and Blackwing plenty when the first came out, but only once on the Dinobots, and now all I see are... wave 1 Dinobots. Hasbro seems to have lost all ability to distribute.

Adam

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
North Dallas
Visit site
I got the amazon Nemesis Prime, and you know. He's that figure again mostly. I appreciate the extra accessories and the bird sword thing is actually pretty neat. Sword mode is not as gappy as I feared and it actually looks pretty good. A neat set if you dig that leader Prime.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I got the Special Edition Blast-Off and Repugnus.$25 each is a little on the nutty side, although the compact box packaging has some charm, and each includes an exclusive-deco Prime Master reuse (to which I snore).

Blast-Off is not a bad repaint of the Takara figure, Hasbro decided to paint his chest G1 and use the nose-cone chest as the backpack instead, and I tend to prefer that, although it leads to questions of directionality on the arms. Vehicle mode has more charm than I expected. As a limb he's ok but not mind-blowing. I like but don't love this figure.

Repugnus is delightful, he's quite the Monsterbot, even his little jaw opens and closes. Dastard, the Titan Master headmaster that comes with him, is an homage to an esoteric Japanese cartoon character, and the Repugnus head he has is based on the G1 Repugnus toy rather than the cartoon (which the confusingly-released Titan Master Repugnus already emulates, and looks great on this Deluxe figure). The colorfulness is charming. Transformation is a little simple but not without interesting turns. The swords turn into a little vehicle just like other Titans Return sets. He's the better of the two that are out now.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I like Punch more than Counterpunch, actually, but both are great. Counterpunch can use the pointlessly-included combiner fist as a jetpack, which makes sense since Decepticons fly while Autobots don't. I love that vehicle mode most of all.

I did the shoulder swap, knowing that it's not an assembly error, because it really does help the transformation work better. The drawback is the slumping shoulders, but that's a small trade. If this had been at mass retail, I would have bought 2 for sure.

---

Got Nemesis Prime from Amazon, it's a pretty decent set, looks better in all black than this mold does in Optimus colors. I like Giza the bird/sword a bit, and then it comes with the Dark Saber from Armada. The forearm blasters are too large, but I appreciate the premise, even if storage in alt mode stinks. It's not the best Transformer but the set has more charm than the figure alone.

---

Got Novastar as I didn't get Moonracer and this looked better in colors and accessory. Honestly, this figure feels lazy and phoned in, she's basically just an elongated rectangle with a sloppy and simplistic transformation, at these prices it's not worth it. She's a decent combiner arm at least. :p

---

Picked up Studio Series Jazz for full price, they're out of their minds asking $20 for this little guy, but I do really like him and hope that extra cash went into the design, because it is slick. It's like paying more for a smaller car, it better be a good car. ;) It's a decent Jazz figure, the backpack's a bit large but otherwise it's a neat little figure.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Transformers has been asleep at the wheel the back half of this year. I don't care at all about Bumblebee so far, nothing on the shelves is remotely interesting. War for Cybertron: Siege product coming soon looks... I dunno, cheap for the inevitable price increase it'll suffer.

Adam

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
North Dallas
Visit site
I really like the way Siege looks, outside of the weathering. I'm not sure how much I will pick up right away due to saving up for a move, but we'll see.

I was really close to getting LG-EX Big Powered but opted not to for the same reason.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Siege deluxes and voyagers found at Target, and so it begins.

Optimus Prime's cybertronian alt mode has removable lights on top to look less cybertronian. Turns out they're not removable, part of the backpack's hinges, someone removed that entirely to make it a partsformer.

Last edited: