Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Adam

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
North Dallas
Visit site
Siege Voyager Optimus is very good, so close to being my ideal Optimus in fact. Really the only thing holding him back is the truck mode, which isn't bad but so close to being G1 looking, and the kinda crappy weathering.

Megatron is not quite as good, but I think probably the best Megatron of that size in the Generations line. His tank mode is just ok, and in bot mode his "neck plate" doesn't peg in or otherwise be prevented from sinking down. Even that isn't really terrible and allows him to look down, kinda. He doesn't have a ball joint next so that the only up and down motion he's got there.

Hound is fine, bigger than his Universe counterpart. I like the little addition of a magazine drum that can plug into either gun, or all three can be combined to form a large rifle.

Flywheels is okay, but the tank portion has some fitting issue that won't let me plug in the turret straight one, which is kind of annoying.

Adam

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
North Dallas
Visit site
I also was pretty amused to find that G1 Optimus Prime on one shelf, wrapped and bent up with a security tag, for $50 with voyager Prime directly under him for cheaper.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Picked up Titans Return Overlord from Marshalls for $13. THIRTEEN BUCKS FOR A LEADER-CLASS! It's an interesting figure, for $13 a no-brainer, pretty decent articulation, especially below the waist. But I really feel like it needed one more gimmick or something, as a Leader-Class it feels a bit simple.

Picked up Siege Hound, my first Siege figure. It's decent, tries to do a little too much with its transformation, so it feels complicated and simple at the same time. I do like the drum mag, that's a fun addition. I'm still not sold on the Siege line as a whole.

Preordered Ectotron, the Transformers/Ghostbusters 35th anniversary crossover figure based on Combiner Wars Hot Spot. That looks so fun.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I got leader class Megatron from Dark of the Moon. I spent about a 90 minutes in my comic book shop figuring out how to transform him with other Transformer fans help. It was a great toy and fun to play with in a group. Ultimately we had to go to one of those YouTube videos. I swear the instructions were written from Ikea.

Overall he has a great figure and very impressive. It is the right scale Fort their Studio series but I almost wish he was even a bit bigger because it would go better with other figures from other lines because I am not buying the same characters I already own again in the studio series. There are few exceptions here and there.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Used the HasbroPulse $5 coupon to get Bumblebee movie Studio Series Optimus Prime, it's a pretty cool figure. It looks fantastic and has a really amazing transformation, great detailing. It's got a lot of articulation as well, and a decent update to the ion blaster. The one real drawback is the lower legs don't clip together very strongly, the panels come apart easily; the figure stays standing, but the parts get floppy.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Got Siege Battle Master Smashdown from Amazon, the first new character in ages. Smashdown is a minotaur which is a man body and bull head, he transforms into hammer. He's red with a little gray and blue and silver accents, in bot mode he has a tail because they couldn't figure out a way to deal with the handle better, but the tail is removable and you can kinda wedge it into his hand as a baton weapon. His arms have a big chunk of kibble on the lower half due to his alt mode, but it's kinda par for the course with minicon-style figures.

Transformation is really simple, just rotate the head 180, have every limb stick out to the side and rotated, then fold at the ab and snap limbs together.

Alt mode is a hammer with a bull head in the middle - I don't really know why. The handle is short, like Mjolnir, but has two 5mm sections so it can be gripped towards the bottom or top, and a 3mm peg at the end of that. Either end of the hammer has a 5mm port, and both sides have a fireblast peg at every corner so there's 16 of them, all squarish but they work. Detailing's simple but there is some at every face. The blast effect is a big orange smash, the inside has a 5mm peg with a 3mm port, the outside has a smooth face with a 3mm port, it's not as translucent as the design showed but fits the hammer well, and even fits Ironhide's hammer as well. If a Siege figure has a long blast effect peg, the hammer and blast effect can be attached and stay upright on their own.

Negatives:
- Bot mode's head and waist hinge don't lock into place, despite both looking like they should
- Bot head hollow in back
- Bot mode chest has hollows facing forward
- Hammer grip dislodges from hammer when placing in a larger figure's hands
- One end of the hammer has the date code stamped in, the other has the item number painted in silver

Overall, a simple but unique Battle Master. Fun to have a Mjolnir-like hammer mode, the blast effect looks great, the hammer has 16 blast effect pegs; bot mode is alright from the front but far from perfect, simple, and the back is a bit dodgy. Good figure, nothing outrageous.

Last edited: