Trivia

Exhaust Port

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 2, 2002
Sea World of Ohio
www.cbscoaches.com
Exhaust Port said:
I figure I'll answer my own question so it doesn't go unanswered.

The opening melody for the instrumental is actually the morris code for the letters Y-Y-Z. YYZ is the 3 letter identifier for the Toronto Airport which is the home town for the band. More specifically the local navigation beacon also has the identifier YYZ. Pilots routinely monitor the navigation beacon frequency to listen to the co-transmitted morris code identifier to make sure they are navigating off the correct frequency.

The drummer, Neil Peart, was taking flying lessons and apparently decided that the YYZ morris code had a good rhythm to it and worked it into an instrumental musical piece. Hence the name of the song as well as the opening rhythm.
Along the lines of this trivia answer I provide this video clip that I just came across.

http://www.bobbysbrane.com/animation fun/animations/YYZ video-Rush.wmv

Simply amazing! Warning, it's about 43MB but well worth the download time.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Cool. That was a total guess. :)

Here's a multi-parter:

Name the blues musicians who did the originals for each of the following Led Zeppelin songs:

"You Shook Me"
"Nobody's Fault But Mine"
"When the Levee Breaks"
"Gallows Pole"

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
El Chuxter said:
Cool. That was a total guess. :)

Here's a multi-parter:

Name the blues musicians who did the originals for each of the following Led Zeppelin songs:

"You Shook Me"
"Nobody's Fault But Mine"
"When the Levee Breaks"
"Gallows Pole"
The only one I knew, or rather thought I knew off the top of my head was Willie Dixon for "You Shook Me." Upon further research, it appears he wrote the song for Muddy Waters, so I'm not sure who recorded it first.

The only other of these two that Zeppelin give writing credits to is Memphis Minnie for "When the Levee Breaks."

I had to look up the other two. "Gallows Pole" was Leadbelly, and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" was Blind Willie Johnson.

I think it was on the House of Blues radio show a few years ago where I heard some songs that were inspirations for or original versions of Zeppelin songs. Keeping with the Zeppelin theme, what two songs were incorporated into the Led Zeppelin tune "How Many More Times"?

arctangent said:
what was the name of AC/DC's first singer and what was the name of Angus Young's first band?
I knew this wasn't Bon Scott but I couldn't remember off hand. I was thinking Mark Evans, but I knew that was their early bassist. I had to look it up to get the correct answer, Dave Evans. While looking that up, I also noticed that Malcolm and Angus Young had been in a band called the Velvet Underground (not the one with Lou Reed).

arctangent

Jedi Initiate
Nov 13, 2003
Beckenham, Kent, UK
Visit site
well done posty333, dave evans is indeed the correct answer.

as for 'gallows pole', leadbelly was the first known recording of the song but it is based on a traditional folk tune.

'how many more times' contains lyrics from albert king's song 'the hunter' and they ripped most of the song from the howling wolf song 'how many more years'.

new question: which band did ben shepherd 'sort of' join before joining soundgarden and who joined soundgarden for one tour before ben replaced them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kidhuman

Jedi Knight
Nov 12, 2002
Dr. Ventures Yard Sale
Neither one, its actually wine, I was looking for whiskey and wine.

And there's a girl in this harbor town
And she works layin' whiskey down
They say Brandy, fetch another round
She serves them whiskey and wine

I will let you ask the next though for good effort and lack of question in my head

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Easy one, but I'm having trouble coming up with a toughie. Identify the iconic record labels most closely associated with the following:

Johnny Cash (1990s)
Muddy Waters (1950s)
The Beatles (1960s)
Diana Ross (1960s)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Forget these old questions from a few months ago! Answer this query about this song from a few years ago! :rolleyes:

In the song "Man On the Moon" by REM, there are 7 games mentioned in the lyrics. Which ones are board games (extra credit if you list them all... wait, NO extra credit! :eek: )?

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Johnny Cash (1990s): American Recordings
Muddy Waters (1950s): Chess
Diana Ross (1960s): Motown

I know it mentions hopscotch and Monopoly.