TVC Tatooine Skiff review

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
This Tatooine Skiff jumps right off the screen into your collection with plenty of fun!

I was astonished to see how great the new Vintage Collection Tatooine Skiff really is, this is an outstanding collectible, it almost looks good enough to put in a movie; if you have the Sail Barge this is a must, but even if you're just a fan of the scene this thing is worth getting. It says suitable for ages 4+, a younger kid may have difficulty with assembly and might find it boring, but for a kid there's imaginative things to do with a few Star Wars figures and this vehicle even if it's more tailored towards an older collector.

Hasbro widened the design from the old Kenner model so you can put more figures onto it; they also put a lot of fine detail into this set, the sculpting looks fantastic and the paint surprisingly nice, the sandy stand looks good, and there's enough features to delight. The box looks great, very classic Star Wars, lots of callouts to the features all over the package.

Assembly is pretty quick and straightforward, it all snaps in cleanly and firmly. Some pieces like the clear display legs and the steering column require a bit of effort to get in, but nothing excessive. Most of the parts are side-specific and will have a tab that's wider or offset to ensure its opposite part won't seat there, pay attention to those tabs and little details. I recommend attaching the steering column first, then the clear stand arms to the skiff before the base, then the various rails, then the removable panels, and finally the steering vanes last. Everything but the steering column comes back out with minimal effort, I'm not sure the steering column can be removed again.

Paint looks great, there's texture, weathering, a subtle gold plastic with a dark wash as accent pieces, a good piece of this thing's pricetag is going to the deco. There's a few silver spots at the nose, hints of wear, everything about this deco is subtle and well thought out.

Sculpting is quite good, the scale is a little under but that's pretty common with Star Wars vehicles. There's a fine texture to most of the surfaces, the only visible seam line is the lower half of the nose, and the railings are a stiff yet pliable rubbery plastic. There are 3 removable panels on the deck, the underside of each one has more detailing, and once removed there's quite a lot of sculpted tech details within, with the largest panel revealing multiple layers of engine details. The rear engine details are another delight, and even the base has a nice sandy texture. The right side railing can swap out with one has been damaged from the Pit of Carkoon battle, the railing bent partly and a bundle of soft, rubbery cables hanging down. The swappable battle-damage railing can store under the sandy display base, it doesn't clip in but it fits perfectly.

Features are where it's at with this thing. No action features whatsoever thankfully; instead you get a sturdy pull-out plank for victims to be pushed off of, the aforementioned removable panels and swappable right railing, storage clips for long weapons like vibro axes, a movable control yoke, positionable steering vanes and rudders, and most importantly, the clear stand is articulated inside the skiff to tilt all the way over to the right or left to simulate the battle damage with several ratcheting points to keep it at your chosen position.

Overall, this is the happiest I've been with a Hasbro Star Wars 3.75"-figure-scale vehicle in ages, it works hard to earn its pricetag, there's lots of little touches that are fun, it looks fantastic, and there's plenty to do.

Reactions: SirSteve

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Glad to read such a positive review! I pre-ordered two of these bad boys as soon as they went up on HTS and I'm looking forward to their arrival. I had always been disappointed with the older model of skiff and so I was sure these would be an upgrade but it sounds like they aced it.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Same here, the old one was "good enough" without ever being good enough.

I saw a review on Amazon pointing out these don't have foot pegs, that's true enough, it leaves it more accurate which I prefer, but not everyone will go for that. They sell those very small clear foot stands now, though.

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
Is this going to be available in stores? I ordered one from Hasbro, but haven’t received it yet. I am debating getting a second one. The only other one I have is the one that is in the big Battle at the Sarlacc Pit set. So, maybe I’ll get another one if I see it on the shelf.