Vintage Photos

Rebo's_Guitarist

Jedi Initiate
Aug 23, 2004
Duluth, MN
nlindstromphoto.com
That would probably be the limitation of the lens. It should all be on your lens. My macro says 1:2.8, meaning 2.8 is the lowest it will go. The lower it goes the better, but also $$$, especially for macro.

I dont know if you can change your lenses on your camera, but you could always upgrade-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-24-60mm-F-2-8-EX-DG-Lens-for-Canon-Rebel-XT-XTi_W0QQitemZ350013343347QQihZ022QQcategoryZ106845QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is pretty much your all around lens, but is also 2.8

If not, its limitation of the camera.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
That would probably be the limitation of the lens. It should all be on your lens. My macro says 1:2.8, meaning 2.8 is the lowest it will go. The lower it goes the better, but also $$$, especially for macro.

I dont know if you can change your lenses on your camera, but you could always upgrade-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-24-60mm-F-2-8-EX-DG-Lens-for-Canon-Rebel-XT-XTi_W0QQitemZ350013343347QQihZ022QQcategoryZ106845QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is pretty much your all around lens, but is also 2.8

If not, its limitation of the camera.
THis is what I have, a Canon Digital Rebel XT, 8 Megapixel:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154

I also have a 75mm-300mm telephoto lens that says f/4-5.6 so I think it's my lens, not my camera.

Thanks for the link, I'm expecting a couple of paychecks this week, so it looks like I'll be picking up one of those lenses.:thumbsup:

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I guess I could fake the macro look by just cropping the photos down, here's that same photo at full size, but cropped down to fit within the attachment limitations of this forum. It's grainy, but that's just because I'm using a 1600 ISO (which is the only way I can get any decent photos when shooting indoors).
It's not too shabby, though that pic is noisy as hell. Try using lights pointed from across and below the subjects instead of over them (LED flashlights work pretty well, though you may have to compensate for their slight blue tone, but if you also use regular indoor lighting it should balance it out, unless it's a CFL which puts out ugly, crappy light). Even my Canon A630 digicam can take indoor shots less noisy than that, and I try never to take it over ISO 200. Shoot RAW under iso 800 and then see if you can turn the pic up in after effects, the shots may already have the data and the ISO 1600 is needlessly noising that.

Attached is a shot I took in macro with my digicam during a quick-n-dirty shoot for Steve's other site (I didn't end up using it, going instead for these less-close shots which as you can see didn't agree with the lighting when the subject was too wide, but I wasn't in the mood to futz around). The light sources are a 10-LED pedestal flashlight and a second 21-LED handheld flashlight (both very cheapo kind), plus a little photoshop level-tweaking, the F-stop is f4.1 (I'm not sure why I used that aperture size anymore, it's been a few months since I took this) at 1/8 of a second (I think I was resting the camera on a box that was a little too shaky for anything slower) and I think ISO 100 (though for some reason, it's not in the exif data). If my little digicam can do that, your DSLR can do better.

Rebo, cool bug pics! Those autofocus or did you dial them in yourself? I can't manually focus to save my behind, even though my digicam has a pretty decent manual focus system and my mom's DSLR has a prime lens very similar to yours.

BB, for a "cheerful" indoor shot, you'll want something akin to portrait mode (your camera may already have this), you might want to try a high F-stop number to close the aperture and blur the background, and you'll want to get creative with lighting so that the background is well-lit without blasting the subject. And if at all possible, stay away from using the camera's flash alone, they're always your last resort.

My digicam can go as low as f2.8 and as high as f8. Canon's "Plastic Fantastic" (aka the "Thrifty Fifty") is a 50mm f1.8, it's not great build quality but it takes great, sharp photos and is a fraction of the cost of a pro version:
http://www.jpgmag.com/stories/1325 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

plasticfetish

Senator
May 2, 2002
Portland, OR
www.plasticfetish.net
Yeah, the blue LED thing isn't such a big deal if you limit how you use it. With >> this photo, I used a single bulb LED to light the inside. Had to go back in and color correct that area just a bit, but it worked pretty well for what it was.

plasticfetish

Senator
May 2, 2002
Portland, OR
www.plasticfetish.net
For the most part, digital cameras are like video cameras, in that they're light hogs. It's also important to have a few lights, and to surround the subject as best as possible... if you want to smooth out the cast shadows some.

If I could afford it, I'd buy one of >> these, and maybe one of >> these also. :love:

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
For the most part, digital cameras are like video cameras, in that they're light hogs. It's also important to have a few lights, and to surround the subject as best as possible... if you want to smooth out the cast shadows some.

If I could afford it, I'd buy one of >> these, and maybe one of >> these also. :love:
Those look like they would work perfectly for what I need, why do I not see prices listed?

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Back to the topic of this thread. I just got this Boushh Leia in the mail today. She has a Taiwan COO and probably one of the nicest faces I've ever seen on a vintage Leia.

I know, still grainy as heck and I'm just using the ambient sunlight that was bouncing around my bedroom; but for now we'll just call that my "style." lol

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I did this one really quick last night so I could play around with editing. The front, right, me looks too fake. Oh well, it was fun.
Actually that looks pretty cool, I thought it was a photo of four people at first, until I realized they all looked the same.:eek:

I see what you're talking about with the bottom right photo of you, but I think it's just the selection mask around the hair that gives it away. But hair is always going to be hard to mask out just because.... well, it's hair!

sjd9299

Jedi Initiate
Feb 15, 2002
Jamestown, NY
Visit site
Actually that looks pretty cool, I thought it was a photo of four people at first, until I realized they all looked the same.:eek:

I see what you're talking about with the bottom right photo of you, but I think it's just the selection mask around the hair that gives it away. But hair is always going to be hard to mask out just because.... well, it's hair!
Yeah, try it again wearing a different hat in each one. That way it wll be easier to cut around.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Pretty cool pics gang!

That Leia makes me sad, when I was a kid that was 1 of 2 figures I desperately wanted and could never find in stores (the other was Luke Jedi), instead finding nothing but crap like Squid Head. It's a really good-lookin' fig, nice shot - though I would suggest a different backdrop color behind her just so you can see her hair.

Rebo, you need to "vintage" that pic more so it looks more authentic AND hides the matting better. Nevertheless, very nifty.

TeeEye7

Jedi Apprentice
Back to the topic of this thread. I just got this Boushh Leia in the mail today. She has a Taiwan COO and probably one of the nicest faces I've ever seen on a vintage Leia.

I know, still grainy as heck and I'm just using the ambient sunlight that was bouncing around my bedroom; but for now we'll just call that my "style." lol
Nice, soft light with no harsh shadows. A great way to show off the figure's features. Good choice of diffused light IMO, because the shiny plastic would give off distractive glare or "hot spots".

At work, we use diffused light a lot for details on metallic objects (like serial numbers on guns) for photos used in court. Some plastics can have the same challenges like on Leia's face.

Great job, BigB!

TeeEye7

Jedi Apprentice
Yep. We use umbrellas, soft boxes, and quite often a simple piece of white butcher paper for reflected light concerns at work.

99% of the time we're doing crime scene photography, but we also end up doing portraits of the brass, group and individual shots of academy students, promotions/award ceremonies, special events (I feel like Jimmy Olsen, sometimes :rolleyes:) and even a type of "product" photography for our various publications or website. That's the reason we have the toys listed above.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I spent years suggesting Steve try a softbox for his photography (I felt his flash work was too harsh on the figures, washed them out), finally he's started using a flash diffuser (basically the same thing on a smaller scale) which works pretty well, and is of course much more portable.

Check it out, this guy has a recipe for a DIY softbox: http://lactose.blogspot.com/2007/03/hobo-diy-softbox-for-perfect-portraits.html
That is friggin' rad!

Dude, that is so funny! You should say to the brass right as you're taking the pic "I snapped 10 dead bodies with this camera just last week!" :D

plasticfetish

Senator
May 2, 2002
Portland, OR
www.plasticfetish.net
You know what's cool about that guys box? I've seen lighting guys (on sets that I've worked on) cut and tape things like that together on the spot from scraps of foamcore in pretty much the same way. I dunno about the aluminum foil, but his trash bag diffusion is priceless.

(Reminds me how I need to buy a small roll of diffusion paper...)