What are your New Year resolutions?

JimJamBonds

Jedi Commander
May 22, 2005
www.myspace.com
I stopped making resolutions a couple of years ago, but there are a couple of things I plan on doing in 2010. Run a marathon in April, May and September. Run an off road ultra marathon in July and a half marathon in March and October. Those are my 'major' racing plans for this year. And in the culinary world the other day I decided I'm going to figure out (finally) how to make a decent risotto in 2010.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Hey, let's check them off again . . .

me said:
I've been trying all break to do a few things to varying success:
*work more seriously on my Star Wars room
I got much of the film shelves done, but haven't accomplished much on the EU, Clone Wars, and other shelves aside from accumulating massive amounts of stuff. I should do more of this during the current break.

me said:
*look for a school with a better film program
Yup, I switched from CU Boulder to UC Denver (still not sure why the letters switched) and couldn't be more pleased with that choice. It's much more in line with what I want to be doing.

me said:
*work on a short movie with a friend (the script is done, but I need to storyboard and then actually do it)
Check! :D Between the HD and non-HD versions, it's got over 27,000 views, which is pretty cool.

me said:
Overall for the year, I want to:
*make more movies
They're up on YouTube. :D

me said:
*watch more "classic" movies
Yup, definitely. I've recorded several on the DVR and have been working through them. I'll be starting a Netflix subscription soon, which should help here immensely.

me said:
*spend less time doing work in college but still have good grades
I would say yes - not like I slacked off, but there was different, much more fun work this past semester than my time at Boulder.

me said:
*buy even MORE Star Wars stuff I don't need :D
Mission accomplished. :p

For this year, I would say more of the same. I'm happy with how things are going, so I don't feel the need to change too much. I guess I'll say I need to go out on a limb more, which I feel I have started doing by auditioning for and getting a part in a play. I do need to continue waiting to drink, smoke, etc. until I turn 21 in December, at which point I'll get $1000 from my parents. Then I'll live my days in a drug-induced haze. :p

nohagent

Jedi Initiate
Apr 29, 2002
California
Visit site
My resolution is too get myself to stop buying these toys. Ive been collecting since 95, shoot back then I was following the beginnings of SIRSTEVESGUIDETOSTARWARS.COM.. Its been a long time and I have all these action figures and ships. I dont know what to do with them all. Realistically they are really worth nothing. I have tried and tried to sell on ebay and always at a loss or no sale. Actually the only things I ever made money on was Transformers. I have given many of my items to my son. Just busted out a B-wing for him the other day. My wife, soon to be ex (turned into one of those violent hipocritic christians, with some borderline issues on top of that) thinks im spoiling to boy to gain his favor in pursuit of custody. Oh well, need to save money for court and a new home. I often wonder what I would have today if not for my collection, would it be a large savings account? Im sure if I invested it all I would have lost it in this economy. Hmm to be 36 and starting all over, makes one wonder.............

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Well, here goes, now that I've thought about resolutions a little bit.

1) Continue to build up money to buy/pay off my mom's house/mortgage.
2) Put together outline into paragraphs for MY novel (I can't say "write it," because I never seem to do that, so I'll try from the ground level up).
3) Keep myself in good enough shape, such as comfortable weight, no muscles pulls or bone issues, no more growths removed (or, at least no new ones); I might need to donate something to someone someday! ;)
4) Maintain my hatred regarding cellphones and their similar spawns. :mad: :rolleyes:
5) Be in contact with out-of-state/area friends and family more.
6) Finally make it to SW Weekends in FL (maybe they'll come to CA someday...).
7) Do some more acting stuff.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
nohagent said:
Hmm to be 36 and starting all over, makes one wonder.............
I'm in about the same position since I got a 2nd chance to live thanks to a friendship I made on this very website.

BTW, if you've been here for as long as I have, I should know you, shouldn't I? Did you change your screen name?

Well, here goes, now that I've thought about resolutions a little bit.
2) Put together outline into paragraphs for MY novel (I can't say "write it," because I never seem to do that, so I'll try from the ground level up).
TIP From My Own Experience:

Go into Microsoft Word. Write from your outline the scenes you like the best - the gun fights, sword fights, car or plane chases, sex scenes :lipsrsealed:, whatever interests you the most about your story.

Then change COLORS and type in a different color the next scene you know exactly how you want for it to work out.

When you go back and connect the scenes, transition them and add the appropriate details. Change your colors back to all-black when you have achieved those connections.

I had a complete outline, but I did not write my story from "Once upon a time," straight through to "the end." I wrote many of the action scenes and the climax first actually. Then I went back at it to connect it all together.

But yes, I did have an outline.

3) Keep myself in good enough shape, such as comfortable weight, no muscles pulls or bone issues, no more growths removed (or, at least no new ones); I might need to donate something to someone someday! ;)
More power to you if you do. And may God bless you for doing so!

4) Maintain my hatred regarding cellphones and their similar spawns. :mad: :rolleyes:
No hate text messaging with all of your heart - and your journey to MY SIDE will be complete! :mad:

6) Finally make it to SW Weekends in FL (maybe they'll come to CA someday...).
Go to Celebration 5 in Florida so you can hang out with the rest of us! :thumbsup:

7) Do some more acting stuff.
I'd like to audition again. I got two roles even - right before I had my brain aneurysm, too. I mean the very same week!

nohagent

Jedi Initiate
Apr 29, 2002
California
Visit site
I'm in about the same position since I got a 2nd chance to live thanks to a friendship I made on this very website.

BTW, if you've been here for as long as I have, I should know you, shouldn't I? Did you change your screen name?

I think at one point I was known as Sakaweme, but even so, I dont think anyone knows me. I often visited SIRSTEVESGUIDETOSTARWARS.COM. I remember when I saw the first pics the POTF line and the Vader Tie Advanced. Those were some exciting times. Yes I visited the site often but never really interacted, just read. Now I wish I had and built up some relationships. I would like to have all the friends I can get. Want to get more involved and meet people. Before my wife had a tight leash on me, was surprised that she let me go to celebrations III and IV even, but I dont need that permission slip anymore. I plan on building my son some armor for celebration V. I vacuum formed his 6 y/o butt commander bacara armor for Halloween so I will see what I can do next.

Wow thats really great what you said about meeting someone on here, thats really cool...

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Wow thats really great what you said about meeting someone on here, thats really cool...
Well, I didn't meet my girlfriend here (though she has an older brother and younger sister who both love Star Wars and go to Comic Con).

I have made a LOT of friends here though. I think SirSteve, El Chuxter and JediTricks are amongst the oldest (by that I mean the friends I've known the longest from this site), but BobaFrett stepped up and saved my life by donating one of his kidneys. It's been 11 months now (exactly - plus only 1 day!) and I seem to be doing great.

I never joined this site with any idea it would lead to that. I've just been into Star Wars since I was around your son's age and never quit (as neither have you, I see).

That it would actually save my life? Who'd have guessed?!

bobafrett

Jedi Commander
I need to lose somewhere between 70 to 80 pounds. Seriously. Josh has made dramatic steps living his life. I have just worked my job, but have had more time than I have had in the last 10 years to make strides toward losing weight and getting back into shape. Before the surgery, I was still working about 60 hours a week, between to jobs. Now I'm lucky if I work 40. I don't like looking at pictures of myself from the neck down, I don't fit into my Stormtrooper armor anymore, well not at least without looking pathetic. So I guess my New Years resolution would be to lose some weight, eat better, so that by June I can once again wear my Stormtrooper armor at the "Relay for Life" cancer walk.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Not trying to be a smartarse, but one of my big ones is to waste less time on the internet. And to eat better, work out, finish a lot of unfinished (and barely started) projects, get rid of some stuff, yadda yadda.

borisfan84

Force Sensitive
Dec 29, 2009
Brentwood, Tennessee
I am officially giving up collecting Star Wars in 2010. I have put the rest of my collection up on E-Bay and plan on moving on. I have sold my collections of items many times throughout life and this time I am ready to be done. The machine known as Hasbro is totally out of control with the figure re-issuing, poor assortment distribution, and stores have lost their mind on these price hikes (Toys R Us should be boycotted for charging $10.99 for vintage collection and $8.49 for soggy legends and clown wars).
I plan to only collect 80's era GI Joe as it is currently at an all time low, especially on E-Bay, and one could spend the rest of their life collecting this line and never find everything. Hasbro truly got the GI Joe toy line right with the variety of characters, vehicles, and playability of the overall line.
I also plan to stop using E-Bay all together and go back to collecting the old fashion way; comic shops, private collectors, and toy shows. Having to hunt for items and seeing them in person has always been more fun.

DarthQuack

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 25, 2004
Albany
I stopped collecting a few years ago......just too many figures, too many lines, too many price raises :(, trying to find room for all of them now in tubs....and I feel bad moving them into my lady's parents basement.....but it's gotta be done. :(

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I don't have any real resolutions, but some things that I've been putting off long enough and I really need to get done this year:

1. Buy a new computer. It will almost definitely be another Mac, I see no reason to switch over to PCs now. But of course, this will also require me to get new copies of Photoshop and Illustrator (since I'm running pre-Intel versions of both programs), which increases the cost of this changeover pretty dramatically. So, as a result, I'm probably going to have to sell off big sections of my Star Wars collection to fund everything.

2. Get my comic book done, at least one issue of it. I'm going to NYCC in October and I want to have something to show to people. It will be my first ever Comic Con, so I'm pretty excited about it.

3. Lose some more weight. I've gone from 267 down to 214 since last February, so I'm hoping that I can eventually get back down into the 190s in 2011. If I can do it, then it will be the first time I have weighed less than 200 pounds in over a decade.

JimJamBonds

Jedi Commander
May 22, 2005
www.myspace.com
Congrats on the loss Big B. :thumbsup:

I don't make resolutions but I do have a goal. Its the same goal I had in 2009, that is to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

nohagent

Jedi Initiate
Apr 29, 2002
California
Visit site
Boris, couldnt agree with you more. My collecting is now just getting things for my son. I think I got out of control on that by trying to buy him every variant of the clone troopers and now im like uggggg. Too much. I will be going out in a few to return the anti-hail fire droid pack that I didnt give him for xmas. It is hard to do cuz even though the variants look so cool, there is a limit to space. On the fence to about returning the rebel hoth pack too and jabba from walmart, however I dont have that walmart reciept. I did give him the AT-AT so maybe he can have the Hoth Set..so crazy. Need the spending on this under control.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I am officially giving up collecting Star Wars in 2010. I have put the rest of my collection up on E-Bay and plan on moving on. I have sold my collections of items many times throughout life and this time I am ready to be done. The machine known as Hasbro is totally out of control with the figure re-issuing, poor assortment distribution, and stores have lost their mind on these price hikes (Toys R Us should be boycotted for charging $10.99 for vintage collection and $8.49 for soggy legends and clown wars).
I plan to only collect 80's era GI Joe as it is currently at an all time low, especially on E-Bay, and one could spend the rest of their life collecting this line and never find everything. Hasbro truly got the GI Joe toy line right with the variety of characters, vehicles, and playability of the overall line.
I also plan to stop using E-Bay all together and go back to collecting the old fashion way; comic shops, private collectors, and toy shows. Having to hunt for items and seeing them in person has always been more fun.
I stopped collecting a few years ago......just too many figures, too many lines, too many price raises :(, trying to find room for all of them now in tubs....and I feel bad moving them into my lady's parents basement.....but it's gotta be done. :(
I'm going to have to cut back on my collecting significantly in 2011, especially if I want to keep resolutions number 1 and 2 (I'll have to get a copyright for my comic book character, which is not going to be cheap either). However, 2010 fulfilled over half of my Top 10 Most-Wanted Star Wars Toys wishlist and 2011 is going to fulfill another big chunk of that (especially with Kithaba coming out, who has been #1 on my wishlist since 2001). So there is really not much that I really want anymore. For 2011, I'll focus primarily on the ROTJ figures, Cantina Aliens and I'll pick up the new Bespin Han if he turns out good; but that's about it. Unless Hasbro announces a Sail Barge or a new Tatooine Skiff, then I can't see my Star Wars spending breaking the $100 mark this year.

Congrats on the loss Big B. :thumbsup:
Thanks! I was kind of taken by surprise by the weight loss, since I haven't been intentionally trying to lose weight. I think it's working at Walmart, where I'm on my feet for 8 hours a day, added to the fact that I just don't eat that much when I'm sleeping through the day, that is causing the weight loss. Because I'm eating more fast food than I ever have, just significantly smaller portions of it.

I've heard that portion control is the key to weight loss and I'm eating about 75-80% less food per day than I used to. I'm thinking that if I keep the portion sizes the same and just switch out the fast food for actual healthy food, then I should be able to lose a lot more weight.