What have you watched recently?

Apr 28, 2013
Watched the original Japanese version of Godzilla, Gojira, for the first time. Darker than the American version. I will definitely have to watch again.

Followed that up with one of the greatest action movies ever made, Hard Boiled. Just love the final shootout.

Apr 28, 2013
Rogue One. An early Easter present from my wife. Don't think I will have a chance to watch the extras before I head to Celebration.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 : Way too reliant on jokes (which were mostly good) and deficient in other areas like plot. I was expecting better actually and can't give it better than B-/C+

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Saw 32 minutes of trailers that started six minutes before the announced start time of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. The trailers were ok at best, but the film itself was a non-stop barrage of laughs. I can't immediately remember watching a film where I laughed this often. There are several great moments throughout the movie and it seems tailored exactly to the pop culture experience of my age group - there was even a Skeletor name drop. I have to wonder, though, if the rights to the Fantastic Four characters were with Marvel, would Kurt Russell have been playing Ego or someone else?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
With two "dead" days after AP tests, I showed a couple of my classes That Thing You Do! over both (didn't get to the end; if you stop showing it when the band breaks up, it sure makes this comedy seem dark), and noticed a few details I'd never seen before: Colin Hanks gets a literal walk-on role (leading Faye to the entrance before the TV filming scenes), an Erie bus drives by with a WONDER Bread ad on the back, the name of the Chinese restaurant in Pittsburgh also has a WON in it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
After seeing the whole 5 (?!?) hours when it first aided, replays of the Celtics/Lakers: Best of Enemies documentary have been running on various ESPN channels. It covers the two NBA teams' rivalry and head-to-head meetings, with the horrible choice of Boston narrator Donnie Wahlberg (Ice Cube for LA worked, though).

Reactions: Maradona

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Yes, ESPN's 30 for 30 series of documentaries is consistently compelling and the Celtics/Lakers series did not disappoint. I grew up in the Los Angeles area during the 80s and remember watching many of those games with my grandfather, who despised the Celtics. The documentary revealed many aspects of the rivalry that as kid I would never have paid attention to.

Reactions: JediTricks
Apr 28, 2013
Been watching classic 80s actioneers: Commando, Predator, Running Man. Watching Universal Soldier currently.

Watched the Puppet Masters. Remember that overlooked sci-fi gem?

After Roger Moore died, watched the Wild Geese and Shout at the Devil in memoriam.

The big London apartment fire reminded me of the Towering Inferno, so I had to watch it. (Is that bad to say out loud?)

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
Watched Power Rangers (2017 film). I must say it was a very good movie. Wasn't the most action packed superhero movie I've seen, but it has a lot of great character building and interaction moments. If you enjoyed Wonder Woman, Chronicle and/or The Breakfast Club you will probably like this movie. Sure as hell put Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad to shame. Here's hoping the toy merchandise and home video sales are enough to get a sequel made, because this movie deserves it.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Saw Spiderman: Homecoming. It was a fun movie all the way from the opening prologue through to the very best of all the end of credits scenes I've seen in comic book movies.

Apr 28, 2013
Saw Dunkirk and War of the Planet of the Apes this weekend. Enjoyed both. Need to research Dunkirk the movie more to see how much CG was used, particularly with the aircraft.

Also saw Arsenic and Old Lace as part of the classic summer movie series. Great fun.

One of the local theatres had a midnight showing of Night of the Living Dead in memory of George Romero. I thought about attending but was too tired to attend.

BTW, I watched Day of the Dead in Romero's honor the other night.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The 5th Sharknado, "Global Swarming," was on tonight. I recorded it, and watched it about an hour after it started. Even for this franchise, it was SO confusing. The ending is both inane and actually pretty decent, considering how they went with this one. Tara Reid used to be a fairly-decent actress in the past, but she was awful, and not campy, tongue-in-cheek awful.

Apr 28, 2013
The 5th Sharknado, "Global Swarming," was on tonight. I recorded it, and watched it about an hour after it started. Even for this franchise, it was SO confusing. The ending is both inane and actually pretty decent, considering how they went with this one. Tara Reid used to be a fairly-decent actress in the past, but she was awful, and not campy, tongue-in-cheek awful.
It was confusing. Trying to really incorporate the 'global' in the title. Can't wait to see how it's wrapped up next year.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Couple "documentary" type shows: Motown 25, which I have no recollection seeing when it first aired WAAAAY back in 1983, but was a nice stroll down memory lane and pre-memory boulevard of that music era. The first in a 3-parter, "The Cars That Made America," about the early automobile makers, up until around the late 1910s; it has those re-enacted scenes that make "history come alive."

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Call me Doc-Yuum Jos lately! (really, people should post comments here more often). History Channel had a three-part Cars That Changed America series as I stated above, and I have now seen all three parts. It's like a trilogy or something. In the last part, Henry Ford is revealed to be a Sith Ford! (kidding, his son, Luke Ford, saves him, believing there is still Goodyear in him)