What have you watched recently?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
A film where Hamlet tries to determine who killed Capt. Jack Sparrow; was it Catwoman, Rey, M, Olaf, Capt. Jack's former love Angelica, Green Goblin, or someone else? And there's a train!
But seriously, Murder on the Orient Express was an amazing, excellent film. A nice break from shoot-'em-up, overly-CGI blockbusters with no script.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
This fall, I have only seen three films in a theater: Blade Runner 2049, Thor:Ragnarok, and Justice League. The first two I ABSOLUTELY recommend - they were outstanding. The latter, however, is another story entirely...

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Saw some animated films I was very late in seeing, both where a little moisture appeared around my eyes: The Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory. I liked them both, but was surprised at the fairly-abrupt ending to TGD.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
First non-SW film I've seen in a theater in a long time: Ferdinand. Movie was fine, but it was a morning showing (in fact, the only showing all day) on a day off from school. KIDS! Surprised there was no animated short prior to it (I thought the Constitution requires that).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I had recorded the documentary, David Bowie: The Last Five Years, but had yet to watch it all (I saw bits of it when it ran again the past week or so). Hard to say I "enjoyed" it, based on its tone and end-of-his-life content, but thoroughly informative.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
School play version of Fiddler on the Roof. Sad to say, but I had low expectations for a high school musical with dancing and tough accents, but I am pleased to have been wrong. It was excellent, with set and actors, and a good audience (except for the camera-recording students in front of me and the Spanish "subtitles" conversation behind me).

[edit] This should've been in the Plays thread, but the movie version was on a while back, and I remembered some of the parts!

Last edited:

DarthQuack

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 25, 2004
Albany
Been binging Perfect Strangers on Hulu....haven't seen this show since it aired on TGIF to be honest I think. Nice to have it available to view after all these years!

Apr 28, 2013
Hacksaw Ridge (2016). Excellent war movie. I bought the Blu Ray on Black Friday and just recently watched it. I also recommend reading up on Desmond Doss, the movie's hero. HR just samples a small portion of his heroics.

Flu (2013). Classifying this South Korean movie as a horror may not be right, but it's good. A flu pandemic in a South Korean city.

Magnificent Seven (2016). This thought ran through my head multiple times while watching this: hear that funny noise? That's the cast of the original spinning in their graves. I give it an OK. At least they played a little of the classic theme during the closing credits, but it still wasn't the bombastic Leonard Bernstein version.

Reactions: Tycho

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I know I don't get much free time to see too many movies in theaters anymore, but I'm surprised no one else has seen Black Panther here yet (it's on my to-get-to list).
I saw it and liked it. The film seemed more of an ensemble piece than one about the title character.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
I thought the same about Black Panther as well that it was more like “World of Wakanda” than solely about the titular character. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it more than any MCU film in recent memory! (Very weary at this point of the constant jokes and low stakes and lack of real danger. They’re supposed to be superheroes, not super comedians).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I know I don't get much free time to see too many movies in theaters anymore, but I'm surprised no one else has seen Black Panther here yet (it's on my to-get-to list).
And now I have. It was quite good; some of my friends and colleagues who've seen it said it wasn't as much a superhero movie as a movie with a superhero in it. Visuals were excellent, more character-driven than other Marvel ones.

Reactions: Tycho
Apr 28, 2013
The Wild Bunch. Does it get any better?

Jurassic World. Finally can say I've watched it all the way through. Enjoyed it.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I'm watching Deadwood for my first time. It's good so far.

Timothy Oliphant from Justified stars, with Kim Dickens from Fear the Walking Dead. OC###, did you see this series?

JT, did you know that Elmore Leonard, (Justified) wrote Joe Kidd (Clint Eatwood)?