What have you watched recently?

Tycho

Sith Knight
Website
www.sirstevesguide.com
So I watched Coyote Ugly and I really liked it. We have one in San Diego where the real Lily lives. It's just a money maker for the owner like a strip club would be. But you pay more for Less. I have never been in there but looks Through the Windows. However if everyone lost their inhibitions and morals insanity at the same time this would be a fun place I suppose. The movie is fun and reminded me that I don't want to have any inhibitions morals or sanity either.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Website
www.geocities.com
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry - kind of a mess, I didn't like any of the characters, but it had some interesting moments, some great driving, and the ending somehow ties it together the way I would have hoped. The creepiest part? Vic Morrow and the helicopter.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
It's certainly not the same as the Mr. Rogers documentary that came out last year, but A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood was still a good story. Think Big Fish, as in a story about someone but it's really about another character (and the family relationship motif, too). Tom Hanks does a pretty good job as Fred Rogers.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Started a new Christmas Eve tradition: watch Die Hard. Got half-way through it before I started to nod off. Finished it Christmas Day. Thank you, John McClane.

Wrapped presents while watching Gremlins and the cartoon Grinch.

Watched Mile 22 and Hurricane Heist. Need to watch Mile 22 again to catch some of the little things I read about. HH was good escapism.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Finally saw Midway (2019). Enjoyed it. I'm a big WWII buff and there were some aspects to the battle portrayed in the movie that I wasn't aware of, and they weren't in the 1970s Heston version, either. I was going to watch the Heston version last night in comparison, but couldn't find it. Do I not own a copy? Hmm.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
I tried to see Little Women earlier in the week, but the lack of a discount day made almost-twice-the-cost not a good idea then. It was good, even though I haven't read the whole book yet; but I can see why people (and not just females who've read it) like the story in book form. I heard there were some fairly significant changes from the novel, which I hope to determine before this weekend ends and I return to... work. Weird to say, but I really liked how they did the credits. [edit] I also liked how they "aged" the characters in the various flashbacks; as I have read more of the novel, I realize the "now" of the film allows for the memories to be shown easier.

Last edited:

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
I'm a season and a half into Cobra Kai after beginning last weekend. It's such a fun show. Also watched the third season of Young Justice. It was not up to the standard set by the first two seasons. The tease for season four implies potential, though.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Finally saw Midway (2019). Enjoyed it. I'm a big WWII buff and there were some aspects to the battle portrayed in the movie that I wasn't aware of, and they weren't in the 1970s Heston version, either. I was going to watch the Heston version last night in comparison, but couldn't find it. Do I not own a copy? Hmm.
I do own a copy of the original Midway! It was tucked back in the corner.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
1917. Very good movie. Fast-paced. Interesting characters. I know this sounds weird, but there are a lot of rats in the movie. I kept wondering, are the rats real or CGI? There were some ginormous rats in this movie.

From Paris With Love. Who doesn't love Travolta when he's over the top? Besides, this will hold me over until I find my copy of Broken Arrow.

Hunter Killer. Good action flick with Gerard Butler. The submarine scenes, interior and exterior, were fantastic.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Kept my Super Bowl tradition alive and watched Black Sunday and Two-Minute Warning.

Hell is for Heroes and A Time for Trumpets. Two WWII movies set during the Hurtgen Forest battle in the fall of 1944.

Windtalkers. Boy it's been years since I watched this one.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Cat Ballou. Lee Marvin's Oscar winning performance as a drunk gunfighter. It was good. Hadn't watched it before.

Overlord (2018). WWII action-horror flick set during the D-Day invasion. I need to watch this one again. The big issue I had with it was the African-American paratrooper. The military was segregated until 1947. There wouldn't've been AA paras on D-Day! That's the military history buff in me talking.

(I've been watching my war movies a lot lately; got my first shipments of the Marauder WWII figures in and getting custom ideas from watching my movies.)

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Working my way through the Terminator series. Watched Dark Fate, Salvation and Genisys.

Was able to make out images and action better on the TV for Dark Fate, particularly the airplane sequence.

I think this recent viewing was the first time I'd watched Genisys straight thru since I saw it in the theatre. Caught bits and pieces of it on TV, but hadn't sat down to watch and pay attention until now. I put it in the alternate universe category.

Always liked Salvation. It's a decent stand-alone Terminator action movie.

Working on Terminator 1 - 3 now.

Uncommon Valor. Boy, that's a blast from the past. Loved this movie in my youth. Hadn't watched it in years.

Universal Soldier. Another classic.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Working my way through the Terminator series. Watched Dark Fate, Salvation and Genisys.

Was able to make out images and action better on the TV for Dark Fate, particularly the airplane sequence.
Tycho thinks you saw a different film: Dark Face! :p

News that AMC theaters might be one company that doesn't emerge from this lockdown saddens me. Sports, live theater, religious gatherings, schools, awards recognitions, concerts; I would also put movies in those positive experiences best done in groups. Disappointing to hear; hope it does not turn out that way. :(

Tycho

Sith Knight
Website
www.sirstevesguide.com
Hi everyone. I can't find the forums from the main page. I told Steve. OC, you are still my clone brother in terms of movie taste. Hunter Killer is one I'll have to look up. Tom Hanks is in or produced a WWII destroyer movie I'm interested in, too.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Website
www.geocities.com
The forums link is on the menu bar like always, and in the main page's footer.

Movies are all we got now. Here's the films I hadn't seen before for the last few weeks:

The Glimmer Man - this movie is terrible in the right way. It's Steven Seagal entering his "fat and lazy slap fight" days but with so much ego that he demanded his co-star, Keenen Ivory Wayans, get virtually nothing to do. It's a genius of a big-budget mess.

Kung Fu Zombie (1982) - a lot of comedy, a lot of nonsense, and a lot of... well, not really that many Jiangshi actually (a lot at the beginning then it goes a different way with wizards and body-stealing ghosts).

Hugo - it's hard to believe Martin Scorsese could do something this different, this joyous and family-friendly after years of murder and gangsters and unhappiness. But this love letter to cinema cost $150 mil and isn't exactly a kids movie even though it is, so I get why it bombed, it's pretty much just for cinephiles.

The Proposition - this was a dire, unhappy Aussie western, and it just never apologized for itself, which was impressive, even if it was a lot of authentic ugliness.

Carlito's Way - I didn't enjoy this that much, it wanted to have a toe in the gritty crime drama world and another in a character study, and it got lost between them. Pacino isn't deeply into character, Sean Penn is awful and not just because his character is awful but he's just trying to get so much out of his pointless performance, and the plot is an unrewarding mess. I didn't hate it, but I didn't enjoy it.

Passenger 57 - Die Hard on a plane but this time with Wesley Snipes was alright, but at 84 mins with credits felt like someone behind the scenes rushed this for no reason.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - pretty good but felt like it needed to be less a novel and more a movie at times, ended up in the bottom tier of the Tarantino films that I like (Kill Bill is right around there too; Death Proof being the only Tarantino film I don't like).

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - this was... fine? It felt like it was missing something more, keeping it from really nailing it, perhaps another action scene and some more character beats from that.

The Final Cut - Robin Williams is so good in this drama about editors who cut together funereal movies from the minds of the deceased. The last act could have had a little better way to resolve it than a pseudo-action scene, but otherwise a really interesting film.

Turner & Hooch
- at least they kept the right ending, even if it got a sappy epilogue.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - one of the last SDCCs I went to, SirSteve and I saw part of this in a bar waiting for my cousin, but I never really saw the film. I didn't like this at all, there were no redeeming characters, the execution felt like watching money burn.

The World's End - I didn't enjoy this either, and I don't think I like Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg at all, aside from Hot Fuzz, just the same stuff from each of them respectively ramped up or down depending on the script.

Now You See Me - this was so stupid and convoluted but not in a good way, just in a way where it could have been better without the silly CGI and wishing it were Oceans Eleven twists. Not awful, not great.

The Pit and the Pendulum (1991) - director Stuart Gordon and star Lance Henriksen made very different movies here, and it leaves the film a bit muddled when it's already taking huge liberties with Edgar Allen Poe's story. Another "not awful, not great" film, there's interesting stuff in it from both the "serious drama" and the "wild horror" angles, but none of them intersect to make a great B-picture.

The Intruder - in '62, Roger Corman and William Shatner made a serious movie about race relations and it's really good, it's even on YouTube and should be seen. Shatner is a carpetbagger coming to a Southern town on the cusp school integration representing some Washington DC thinktank's desire to sew new seeds of racial division with his charming ways. Ugly words and deeds are represented, but it tells a good tale. The production got run out of the town they were shooting in for the content.

Impulse - William Shatner is a lothario who kills to get what he wants in this disaster of a B-movie, it's amazing how ridiculous it is. Also Harold "Oddjob" Sakata as another local con man who wants in named "Karate Pete", and Shatner nearly accidentally killed him in a stunt gone wrong. This is the epitome of a so bad its good movie.

Incubus - yes, for Shatner's birthday we also watched his movie in Esperanto, a film that was actually pretty watchable despite being in another language and having subtitles translated from French. It's not a successful film, it's a pseudo-poetic mess, but it's an engaging watch.

Grabbers (2013) - an Irish horror film inspired by Tremors, creatures invade a small Irish island and the residents can only survive by staying drunk. This movie isn't on a lot of folks' radar but it's quite enjoyable, it deserved a better reception.

High Plains Drifter - Clint Eastwood is a jerk in this film, he starts it by raping a woman and he's still supposed to be the protagonist we care about. The movie has some interesting ideas and is comfortable with the twists and turns it wants to put on our shoulders, but it has serious pacing issues and not quite enough focus on the people who get their comeuppance.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Website
www.sirstevesguide.com
I think I saw Grabbers. The drunk characters were Luke, Rey, Chewie, and Artoo and they invaded this Irish island of short people and some kind of birds. They destroyed the fauna in their debauchery, even ate some of the locals, after damaging their residences and molesting at least one of them. Then they fought amongst themselves, hitting each other and even throwing a door off its hinges. Finally, they set fire to the place after one of them looted it.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Tycho, I read yesterday that Tom Hanks' destroyer movie is going to Apple +. Really wanted to see that one in the theatre.

I've watched all six Terminator movies. It had been years since I'd watched the first 2; rather enjoyed them. Salvation is a guilty pleasure; it's a good action flick set in the Terminator universe. Watched Genysis from beginning to end for the first time since I saw it in the theatre. Was finally able to see more details in Dark Fate on the TV than in the theatre. It was just too dark in the theatre.

Was in the mood for some James Bond, so I popped in The Living Daylights and License to Kill. Too bad Dalton didn't do a third.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Had a mini-John Carpenter marathon: Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China and Ghosts of Mars. EFNY is the perfect Friday night movie. BTILC is a good Friday night movie, too. GOM is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Into the Night. Ah, that little forgotten gem from the mid-80s. Gotta love it.

Heat. It's been years since I've watched it (other than the big bank heist scene). Thoroughly enjoyed it. Need to watch the extras.

Cross of Iron. Sam Peckinpah's only WWII movie. A great, overlooked movie.

Top Bottom