Why didn't we at least get 6 pt articulation like POTF2?

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
In 1995, I loved getting new 3 3/4" figures and thought they were awesome. Steroid Solo and Pump-You-Up Chewbacca!

There was nothing but vintage to compare them to. But they could have a few more poses than the 80's figures because they could TURN AT THE WAIST!

They were 6pts of articulation figures.

Why did we go all the way back to 5 pts?

Couldn't we get 6 at least?

And I suppose "how extensive do you want the Wal-Mart exclusive SA figure line to go?"

By comparison, I mean our POTF2 line included Wuher and the BAD line came up to even include The Ice Cream Maker Guy with SA. (neither figure there needed SA).

Soon we will get Kylo, Rey, Finn, Poe, and stormtroopers with SA. That makes sense. I don't know if we need C-3PO as an SA figure - or even General Organa if Leia doesn't fight in the new movie (I don't know what she'll do).

But wouldn't 6 points be reasonable to ask for?

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I've always assumed that it has to do with labor costs in overseas factories going through the roof. A 5POA figure only has about 7 parts, a super-articulated figure would have roughly 24-30 parts. It might only take an extra minute or two to assemble the super-articulated figure, but if these toys are being produced in the tens or hundreds of thousands, then those extra minutes really add up.

A 6POA figure would have about 9 parts, which is way better than super-articulated figures, but still not as good as 5POA figures when it comes to ease and speed of assembly.

Just using some round numbers for example purposes, let's say it takes 30 seconds to assemble a 5POA figure, 45 seconds to assemble a 6POA figure and 2 minutes to assemble an SA figure. If you are paying your workers $5 per hour, then they can assemble 120 5POA figures, 80 6POA figures, or 20 super-articulated figures in that hour. So, in one 8-hour day, that worker could produce 960 5POA figures, 640 6POA figures, or 160 SA figures.

Now let's assume that Hasbro wants a production run of 30,000 for this action figure. The 5POA figures could be completed in a total of 250 hours with a grand total wage cost of $1250. 32 workers could complete that in less than one 8-hour day. For 6POA, it would take 375 manhours, with a total wage cost of $1875. You would need nearly 50 workers to complete this run in one day. If the figures were SA, then the total time to assemble 30,000 of them would be 1500 hours, with a total wage cost of $11,250. To complete this run in one 8-hour day, you would need nearly 190 workers.

Again, these are just rough numbers, but you can see how quickly the costs begin to climb. While we don't have access to the real stats for this example, I believe it's why Hasbro shifted to 5POA.

Vintage nostalgia probably plays a role as well.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
That was an awesome analysis BigBarada. I believe you are correct.

I will still miss the 6pt POTF2 style of figures and don't fix super articulation is always necessary.

I hope that once the mask movie figures production is over, these characters could be revisited with 6 points. But the Walmart exclusive super articulated might cover everything I'd want six points on. X-wing pilots and Sarco plank don't particularly need super articulation neither do most droids. The guava and Troopers might though. I suspect first-order troops and perhaps resistance soldiers will get this besides main characters.

Starting with Luke Darth and chewy was not going to spur sales. Well it makes revenue, these are adult directed figures at their price perhaps. They are moving very slow at my walmart.