William Shakespeare's Star Wars

Apr 28, 2013
Finished Empire. Loved it. Loved the talking AT-ATs, the space slug (although I kept thinking of the Robot Chicken sketch of the slug ordering Chinese after the Falcon escaped) and the ugnaught song.

More insight into Han and Leia's feelings for each other, and Lando became a real character. The author fleshed Lando out well.

Can't wait for Jedi Doth Return!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I'll wait until others have read it to comment more specifically, but I will say that it is by far the third-best book in the series. And somehow the same artist's quality of the drawings seems worse.

Apr 28, 2013
About a third of the way through it now.

I'd hoped to pick it up early Monday night, but alas Target didn't have it out on the shelves.

Apr 28, 2013
Finished it over the weekend. Very enjoyable. I enjoy reading the author's notes at the end where he talks about which Shakespeare books he draws ideas/inspiration from: Han and Leia/Romeo and Juliet.

You're right, Bel-Cam: the artwork wasn't the greatest.

Part of me wondered if the author is going to tackle the prequels. He could have some real fun with Anakin, ala Hamlet and MacBeth.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Finished it over the weekend. Very enjoyable. I enjoy reading the author's notes at the end where he talks about which Shakespeare books he draws ideas/inspiration from: Han and Leia/Romeo and Juliet.

You're right, Bel-Cam: the artwork wasn't the greatest.

Part of me wondered if the author is going to tackle the prequels. He could have some real fun with Anakin, ala Hamlet and MacBeth.
Without the ending commentary, I think the books would not have been as strong. I was disappointed in how much of the alien languages he kept as spoken in the films (although, his changes to Ewokese were great) and not Shakespeare-ized. Best part was the two Death Star guards debating the possibility of a Rebel victory.

Prequels as Titus Andronicus, perhaps? :rolleyes: But I think he should wait on any PT books; all three out within a year was nice to read but I'd prefer a little wait time (like the 3-year movies delay; maybe one a year?) in between.

Apr 28, 2013
Bought the box set as a Christmas present for the oldest niece. Was planning to get just the first book, but Amazon had a deal on the set. it was hard to pass up.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
At C7 this weekend, the voice actors of the Shakespeare books performed a shorted version of key scenes in the 3 OT books. It was among the highlights of the whole Celebration!

I am about halfway through The Phantom of Menace, and there is a very, VERY interesting aspect to it.

Apr 28, 2013
At C7 this weekend, the voice actors of the Shakespeare books performed a shorted version of key scenes in the 3 OT books. It was among the highlights of the whole Celebration!

I am about halfway through The Phantom of Menace, and there is a very, VERY interesting aspect to it.
I wanted to see that but was standing in line for Mark Hamill's autograph. : (

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I can no longer withhold any spoilers; it's just too good! Ye hath been warn'd.

SPOILER ALERTS

First, the character of "Rumor" was awesome; I picked up on the acrostic in each passage in the 4th Act.

Jar-Jar as a wise and observant character, who purposely uses the Gungan pidgin speech to make himself a master planner, was brilliant, Mr. Doescher!

Yoda is still speaking in haiku; another brilliant technique.

Loved the pop culture comments (Dr. Seuss, Samuel L. Jackson film lines, Fast and Furious, etc.

The two "commoner" Jedi who comment on the situations had a nice perspective, too.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Bought William Shakespeare’s The Clone Army Attacketh yesterday, finished reading it today. I like the series since each book is a quick read, despite the style and "thickness" of wordiness. Not much to spoilerize in this one, though, but I'll still put them in small gray scale font anyway.

Jar-Jar still has moments of non-Gungan speak, but he's not the star he was in book 1 (just like in the films).
More word play with various characters, but I found them harder to follow (and not in a good, fun way).
Much more rhyming in this one.
I liked the Jedi 1 and Jedi 2 scene about a galaxy a long time from now, far far away.
Owen sings?!?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I was ready to give the final book, Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge a so-so rating, until the later Act's acrostics (especially the final words of the book). They made all the difference, because the film itself was very Shakespearean and therefore close to how this book covered it. A few more pop cultural references that weren't too hard to find/figure out.

I hope, I REALLY hope, they do NOT do a series of the Disney trilogy until ALL of them are done.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
It has been announced that at our local library's Star Wars Weekend (no longer just a single day, thanks to some funding from grants and local businesses :thumbsup: ), I will have the honor of moderating (probably co-modding) a panel with Ian Doescher himself! :D

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
It has been announced that at our local library's Star Wars Weekend (no longer just a single day, thanks to some funding from grants and local businesses :thumbsup: ), I will have the honor of moderating (probably co-modding) a panel with Ian Doescher himself! :D
Wow! That's awesome! When is that, so I can mention it to my students - and their teacher.

Apr 28, 2013
That is so cool! Congrats.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Congrats, that's outstanding!

Have you ever moderated a panel before? Going to write out some panel questions to help keep it flowing?

Let's put this in the SSG news when you have all the details.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Congrats, that's outstanding!

Have you ever moderated a panel before? Going to write out some panel questions to help keep it flowing?

Let's put this in the SSG news when you have all the details.
Thanks, but like any teenage student "I will wait until the end to start, because I work best under pressure." (not! :eek: ) I do have a few questions created, and they should've been passed onto "his people" already for review. I've viewed many a panel before, and I have conducted interviews previously, so I hope I've learned how to by osmosis.

On the news page? Wow, that's like winning the Noble or Pull-it Prize or something... ;)

And when is this? Sat. 5/28 at the Rancho Cucamonga, CA city library at the Victoria Gardens branch. Don't know the time yet (but the whole event is from 1-9 pm).